Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ford vs The Competition (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum17/)
-   -   New Record Is Bogus (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/200421-new-record-is-bogus.html)

SVTRanger 02-03-2004 05:32 PM

New Record Is Bogus

This is what i saw on my work website at Gm today. let me know what you think. THe lightning is better in a quater mile with less hp and a automatic trans. I cant wait for Svt to bring out the new lightning.

INDUSTRY NEWS

WORLD RECORD FOR DODGE RAM SRT-10 .... A Dodge Ram SRT-10 yesterday entered the Guinness Book of World Records as the "World's Fastest Production Pickup Truck." Recently off the Saltillo, Mexico, assembly line and not modified in any way for additional power or enhanced aerodynamics, the Viper-engine powered truck posted a two-lap, both-directions average speed of 154.587 mph over a "flying kilometer" on the 4.71-mile oval at the DaimlerChrysler Proving Grounds. Guinness World Records and the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) certified the record run by the Dodge Ram SRT-10. The previous record was 147.54 mph,set last July by the Ford SVT F-150 Lightning.

otto 02-03-2004 05:43 PM

Records are made to be broken

broncobillybob 02-03-2004 05:51 PM

yeah otto, that garbage wont be there for long. u guys remember the 500 hp lightning rumors that floated around a couple of months ago? yeah, she wont be the biggest stallion around for too long, whatever they do. if it ain't true the lightning will still get up and git!!!! :)
-wb

______________________-
You check yer dipstick regular, boy?

parks911 02-03-2004 05:58 PM

The fastest Street Legal Truck is actually a Dodge Dakota with a desiel engine.
I just happened to see a TV program about it a couple days ago.
You can read about it at the link below. 222 mph & street legal.

http://www.bankspower.com/sidewinder.cfm

on edit: Let me add, this is not exactly a production model. They biult this truck by themselves. It makes for great reading though.

otto 02-03-2004 05:58 PM

Not to mention the price difference will land the lightning with more sales and more on the road, A used L can be had in nice shape with decent miles for 15K for a 99 or 00, thats affordable and many Ford Enthusiasts like them and buy them and mod them

What a horsepower war, the 60-70's aint got nothing on today, my uncles used to say I missed the muscle car era, since I was born in 79..............I didnt miss a thing :D

90ebbronc 02-03-2004 07:35 PM

Wow thats quick, yeah i like the lightening but they said without any mods for power. The lightening has a supercharger, thus is a mod for more power. The ram is all motor as far as i know. Both are very quick trucks, especially being factory trucks with that much hp. Id take either one actually. If svt could pull out 500 hp without the sc and with a v8 that would be impressive. Dodge did it with a v10 and without anything else.

WhëëlMå1 02-03-2004 07:44 PM

I believe they meant aftermarket mods for power. Since the Lightnings roll of the assy line with the superchargers, all is fair. Youre comparing a V8 to a V10 here. The 8 needs some sort of advantage, no matter how you cut the cards. I can only wonder how that truck handles with the additional weight on the front end (I think the viper motor is 8 liters, versus our "tiny" 5.4). I forsee that record being demolished by the next model year Lightning.

Rich

76supercab2 02-03-2004 07:48 PM

Yes the lightning has a supercharger as a power adder but it is part of the production design. Therefore it is not a modification for power. 2 people can go to the dealer and buy the same model lighting equipped from the factory the same way. Besides, comparing a 5.8L V8 to an 8+L V10 is not a fair comparison.

Shinoda 02-03-2004 11:14 PM

OK, you'd like to see them compared without the blower on the Lightning? The Dodge has 8.0L of displacement here out of a 10-Cyl motor, where as the Lightning has 5.4L of displacement out of a 8-Cyl motor. To be fair, the 8PSI blower doesn't even make that an equal comparison. Perhaps an SVT version of Ford's V10 would be a better contender on a completely naturally aspirated playing field. The mill from the Ford GT appearing in the lightning, with the same power rating as the V10 in the Dodge SRT/10 would be an interesting addition to this scene, and I hope that is what we end up seeing. Considering how the Lightning stacks up against a truck with 110HP on it, leveling that field horsepower-wise will make the "true muscle-truck" rise to the top.

RTHuckster 02-04-2004 01:23 AM

I really get tired of hearing that Ford has to put a SC on their engine to make HP whereas the Dodge is normally aspirated...jeez..theres 2.7L of difference in the size of the engine..sheesh

Rick

Shinoda 02-04-2004 01:31 AM

That is exactly what I'm arguing, its bunk, the 8PSI blower doesn't make up for the 2.6L of displacement difference between the two engines.

pfogle 02-04-2004 01:49 AM

Ford has a 6.4L V10 that puts out over 600hp with no help from a blower. It is in the new "Shelby Cobra" with a version for the mustang coming in 2006.

Shinoda 02-04-2004 01:50 AM

Yes, I've heard of that also.

78custom 02-04-2004 11:24 AM

Well this just adds to the fire of Lightining Vs The Srt hopefully it will only get better for us the consumers. Ford isn't going to let that Ugly Mopar capture the Preformance truck market with out one hell of a fight! I agree with otto the muscle Truck era has only just begun. I'm also glad that Ford Finnaly has some compitetion but I'm also interested in knowing what performance parts are avaliable for a viper V10 I garuntee it's not even near that of the lightining.

95CobraR 02-04-2004 12:28 PM

Originally posted by pfogle
Ford has a 6.4L V10 that puts out over 600hp with no help from a blower. It is in the new "Shelby Cobra" with a version for the mustang coming in 2006.
I think you mean the Shelby Cobra concept. Are you sure the V10 will be in the Mustang? A Mustang forum said it would not fit in the '05.

Hmm, the SRT-10 is made in Mexico?