Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum27/)
-   -   Theft Light blinking Will not start (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/197759-theft-light-blinking-will-not-start.html)

fastcatsailor 01-27-2004 09:07 PM

Theft Light blinking Will not start

Went to start 97 Expedition. It turns over fine but will not start. I notice the theft light blinks rapidly. I have tried both keys. Any sugestions?

tsdrallyer 01-27-2004 11:11 PM

Keys have been corrupted, reciever has died, ECM has died or connection lost, brake light switch is dead or lost connection, or a thief has repgrogrammed your car with intentions of taking it. All are possiblities. I'd check the brake light switch first. Test connections and adjustment to make sure brakelighs come on when it is depressed. If they do, the next best thing is to have it towed to a dealer or the mechanic of your choice for a code reading.

BigMattXXL 01-27-2004 11:26 PM

TSD pretty much summed it up.

I'm not patronizing you, but here's some basic information:

The Expedition keys have little microchips in them that broadcast a signal to an antenna (a plastic ring surrounding the key cylinder) when you start the truck. When the theft light blinks, it's not getting the signal.

I agree with TSD about getting it towed and having the dealer look at it. I was knee dip in this system when I was installing a remote starter, and it's not "user serviceable" as they say. It's all tied in with the computer and everything else.

The dealership should be able to reprogram the whole thing for you. It might cost a bit; just thought I'd warn you. Keys are probably going to be $50 each.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

XXL

ronk1969 01-28-2004 08:00 AM

hey i had the same thing happen to me just be glad it did not happen to you while going down the highway.:-X09
had to take to dealer and have the transponder replaced at a cost of 275 dollars. good luck to you in your quest :)

FTE Herman 01-28-2004 03:15 PM

It could also be a loose perfomance chip. If it was chipped, that is.

fastcatsailor 01-31-2004 07:49 AM

Thanks for everyones help. yes a tow bill to the dealership. And 235.00 of work for a graqnd total of 275.00. Not a bad bill for a 97 model. It was the transceiver. I want to thank the folks that have made post on this site as i have learned a lot. YES I TOO have blown a sprk plug from my head at 60,000 miles. This is not acceptable and yes FORD should admit they have a problem and fix. it is a 3500.00 Bill. I fought it down to 1300.00 Bill. Thanks for all the info.

cbradford 12-20-2006 08:55 PM

Pats Problem

I have 97 expy with 168000miles, My recent pats issue, couple weeks ago when outdoor temp. was low 20's high teens tried starting ran for 2 sec then died noticed Theft light blinking, cycled key off & on few times than started.When temps in 30 on up no problem. So I purchased 2 keys from dealer less than 18 bucks each with cut. So for kicks tried new kek without programing and it worked, tried 2nd new key same thing. So I determined PATS Module mus be bad. Purchased form Dealer for about $56 bucks, installed and programed, Now waiting for next cold snap.

Any one see this before?

mahause 12-21-2006 11:40 AM

When I had this problem it turned out that the module had came out when in my wifes purse. I did not notice the hole on top of the key for a little bit. When I notice this I hound the module in her purse inserted back in the key and it worked again.

cbradford 12-21-2006 12:17 PM

Transponder was in key, had to cycle key on & off few times to start

scottspoerry 12-21-2006 12:34 PM

Brake Light Switch might be bad? Just curious...how does this factor in?

ronk1969 01-03-2007 11:31 AM

i was wondering the same thing.

cbradford 01-03-2007 11:46 AM

Can't figure out the Brake Switch thing, Im confused??

FTE Herman 01-03-2007 08:08 PM

I know the brake light circuit will disable the transmission shift lever interlock but not the theft circuit. If that light is flashing it is only the PATS system.

fred_79f250 01-04-2007 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by mahause
When I had this problem it turned out that the module had came out when in my wifes purse. I did not notice the hole on top of the key for a little bit. When I notice this I hound the module in her purse inserted back in the key and it worked again.

Hmmmm - I have a 2000 Expy, and I'm lookin' at the key - nothing in the head of the key - just solid plastic. A module that can fall out??

mahause 01-04-2007 11:08 AM

I don't know if the keys are the same on a 2000. Mine is a 98. On the top of the key is a little black plastic square that popped off. Inside was a white plastic module that came out. I had never noticed this square until it popped off.