Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Indiana Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum124/)
-   -   Indianapolis here (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/187643-indianapolis-here.html)

indyjames500 01-01-2004 11:55 PM

Indianapolis here

Hi all, been so busy in other sections of the forum didn't know about this area. This is a really big site. But I'm thankful it exists.

What got me into this site was the drivetrain in my station wagon. Let me tell you 'bout it.

I bought in Nov 2002 a 1973 Ford Country Sedan station wagon with the Galaxy 500 name plate. It is in 90% excellent condition with a 6.6L 400/V8, C6 tranny, and Fords 9" rearend.

I have done lots of work to this car and don't know if I want to sell it or keep it and show it. It would qualify for modified stock. Thats because it now has an Edelbrock aluminum intake and carb. I removed the breaker point distributor and added the duraspark electronic ignition system. The entire steering system is now 100%, the suspension is 100%, the braking system is 70% front, and 50% rear.

The station wagon has NO rust, frame and chassis is 100% and all it needs now is new front pump on tranny, and the exhaust needs to be changed from single exhaust to dual exhaust at 3". The drivers side of front seat has seam tears but otherwise is good shape. Dash is 100%, headliner is 100% but carpet over the last 31 years while in 90% has faded somewhat. But that could be because car spent almost entire life in Florida.

There is some paint checking on left side of car but nothing severe. I have knocked down some areas and applied some temporary paint in same color until repainted. Can anyone recommend a good paint/restoration shop that specializes with older antique cars/trucks???

This station wagon has vinyl top which is in 100% condition other than normal fading of color, and sides do not have wood grain simulation. Also, it has radiator grill that goes from one side of car to the other. Tailgate is 2-way type gate with electric window motor which I accidently stripped plastic gears recently but I'm sure one of you know someone who can fix it, yes???

I see that alot of you are from through-out the state of Indiana which I have been through about 85% of. If you mention your town, chances are that I've been through it including the smaller not so well known amish communities, swiss communities and the dutch communities. As a trucker, I have seen alot and touched many lives through-out this state.

One thing I'm curious about are car shows in your communities that have older antique and collector car/truck/tractor showings. To my knowledge, I am the only person in the entire state of Indiana that has the last model Galaxy 500 series station wagon. Would be nice to meet others who have station wagons and cars like mine. FoMoCo was a big producer of large cars and station wagons back in the day. And whats so ironic is these chassis share every thing drivetrain between the cars and trucks. Same engines, transmissions, and rearends.

I had a thought at one time of having section over back behind back seat cut off and exposed like the Ranchero. I don't know if anyone has ever done that. Then I could mount a 5th wheel back there and pull 5th wheel type travel trailers. That would be neat.

If anyone has any thoughts or want to see this vehicle just let me know. This car would look good on the show circuit.

:-tap

Streetcruzer 01-02-2004 09:02 AM

Indyjames: Welcome to the club, there are quite a few members in your area,Snowfighter and his brother to name a few. The wagon you are describing was always by dads favorite, the company he worked for gave him a brand new one every year, so from 1960 till they quit making them, there was always one in the driveway. Always fully loaded with the biggest motor he could order. If they would start making them again, he would order another one!
You are correct though, there are not a lot of those cars left. As you search the ford shows you will see a few, and its great people like yourself are saving a piece of american history that was a big part in the family life of that era! So I wish you good luck in your venture.
What trucking company do you drive for, I also am a driver, for Holland Motor Express and also drive all over the state of indiana and many more. We might have crossed paths at one time!

Hopefully we can all get together this summer,
Lenny

indyjames500 01-02-2004 12:21 PM

Lenny, I enjoy hearing from people like yourself. You put a real big smile on my face reading the story about your dad. If he still lives, he would really like my car.

I work for Vogel Trucking here in Indy. I helped them start their company back in 1993. Though I have come and gone a few times (disagreements) I have a life time contract with this company. The company you work for used to be called TNT. When I used to work for Stoops Freightliner, I used to come and get your trucks and trailers and take them to shop for repairs. But those were those old LTS9000 with the 855 Cummins. Some had 7 speeds which I hated. Hard to tell what gear you were in. No upper range. Everything was in one/single range. UPS trucks have the same transmissions. Some 5 speeds, and the rest 7 speeds.

Anyhow I'm just getting over pneumonia and the company has just called me in to look at our Baskins Robbins truck. Remember the old Ford CL9000. They have 855 Cummins, 10 speeds and 3.70:1 rear ratios. This one is blowing black smoke and loosing power in cruise mode. I'm gonna go look at AFC system on fuel pump. May end up replacing fuel pump altogether. Very nice truck for it's age, and well maintained when the leasing company owned them.

I may not know all that much about gas engines, but diesel runs through my blood. If you need to contact me just click on profile and send me an email. I must be away from computer for awhile so I can go look at this truck.

Jim.

snowfighter 01-05-2004 07:13 AM

IndyJames500 Welcome to FTE. I'm a fan of Galaxie's I sold my 63 1/2 500 XL about a year ago and I regret it but at the time I had no where to keep her. I go to the local friday and saturday nite car shows here in the city I take the Model A or my truck just depends, I would be glad to hook up this summer and go to the shows.

Lenny, Things in my world a little shook up right now (single again whoa hooooooooo) If I can track down your number I'll give you a call and catch up.

indyjames500 01-05-2004 09:43 PM

Howdy all, I put in twenty-two hours on the road today so I guess I'm feeling better now. On the car, we'll play that by ear. I've always been curious about car shows but have never been to one. Truck show either. I keep saying that I'll go but never do. And here now I think I have a piece that may turn heads but I'm not showing until everything is perfect, just as it was when new. I went over to lovefords and he deciphered my car and learned alot about this car. I always though this nasty paint color was ***** brown but learned that it is actually Medium Ginger. Now I really hate the color. But have downloaded some color samples of Ford/Mercury's from 1959 - 1970. I have over a dozen choices on the table and will have to narrow down the list to just one. I will never go back to a dark solid color. Big turn-off. I have some samples that are light and dusty but I will rework them slightly for my taste (if I keep car). Back in the day, poly was the thing but I like pearls. Gonna get back to my soaps, Amer Chopper. Yeah babe.

indyjames500 01-09-2004 11:59 PM

I have to ask a serious question guys, what would you think if I had the top professionally removed from my 1973 Ford station wagon to expose a large convertibile? If I can't sell this unit, I might as well become creative and do something that has never been done before. I have no window frames on my doors, and all the glass rolls down to hide. Then original top can be re-engineered to be reinstalled during bad weather or I could have a custom made rag top to work with existing glass (including tailgate). I want to make this car more exciting to drive or trade for another auto or pickup that is more manly and fitting for someone like me. I really like early 70's Ford 150, 250 and 1979 Ford F-250 Ranger. Whatever I trade into, it can't have any rust just like my car is now. I want like for like, Even trade if vehicle is in as good condition as my car. To sell straight out, $3500 should be a low but fair price. Car is worth much more. Was appraised not too many years ago in Florida for $7500.

If you guys know of a serious collector send them my way or I'm gonna start looking for a chop shop. A good truck I would be happy with is the 1972 F-150 or F-250 with the straight 6 300 with three on the tree. Then I could haul my motorcycle around in the back.

Streetcruzer 01-11-2004 07:39 PM

Indyj: When I think of a stationwagon convert, the monkeymobile comes to mind. The look of it anyway! Myself, I would put the money to better use. Buy the vehicle you want and invest your money in it, and over time you will be more satisfied with the outcome. If you want to do something with the wagon, look into a street machine look. I have seen some pretty cool wagons all hopped up for speed and stereo.
Give it some thought and decide what end result you want to achieve.

It's only money,
Lenny

Chris_ce 01-12-2004 05:07 PM

Hi Indyjames.
Drag slicks wound look pretty cool on a wagon. I always like looking at the wagons at car shows don't see many nice ones anymore. As for not going to car or truck shows well we will have to do something about that. Me and Snowfighter meet Streetcruzer at the jamborie last fall and I think we all had a good time. We will post in here for the next one we plan to attend and maybe we can all get together.

F150Lariat79 02-19-2004 08:09 PM

Hey IndyJames,
Haven't been on here for quite a while, saw this post about
your '73 Ford wagon. My folks bought a new '73 Ford Country
Squire with the 400 2 BBL. It was medium copper metallic with
the woodgrain trim. I still have and am looking at the original
window sticker I've had over 30 years... That wagon cost
$6077.35 back in 1973 ! Was purchased at Ledford Ford
in Kokomo, IN where I grew up. Might be able to scan and
send copy of this if you'd like. J.R. ( Northside of Indy in
Homeplace )