Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   V10 Oil Consumption (What Ford Service says) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/18502-v10-oil-consumption-what-ford-service-says.html)

gofish 11-05-2002 10:42 AM

V10 Oil Consumption (What Ford Service says)

Ok so I am a newbee...Glad to be here. But listen to this: Just got back from a camping trip (I tow a 5th wheel 8000lbs wet!) with a 2000 F250 SD w/V10 Crew cab. Towing the 5th wheel is a new thing for this barly used truck (27000 miles.) On the trip this truck burned 2 quarts of oil in 2000 miles. :-staun Just got back from dealer - Lead Man at Ford told me that the tolerance range for this truck is 1 quart of oil per 900 miles!! :-staun What is up with that? Anybody having the same trouble - I am not happy about this. :-fire

gofish 11-05-2002 10:54 AM

Ok found 1 thread "Topic #4031" on the subject..searching for others..

GAV10 11-05-2002 11:36 AM

I use Mobil 1 5W30 with a K&N oil filter, and change it every 5,000 miles. Mine will usually be almost a quart low at every oil change. I check it every 1000 to 1500 but rarely add any, unless it's more than half way down the flat area on the dip stick. Your usage seems extreme to me. Mine has never been anywhere close to that towing or as a daily driver. Does it use the same when not towing ?

2000 F-250 Ext. Cab V-10 4x4

GAV10 ( Mark )

gofish 11-05-2002 12:43 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 05-Nov-02 AT 01:59&nbsp;PM (EST)]I am not a heavy user of the truck since I work out of my home. It sees about 5 - 7K miles per year since I purchased (used about a year ago.) It's main purpose was to get me around town an as a tow vehicle for trailer - camp and hunting trips. So to be honest - I don't check my oil around town or the past few trips (all short distances.) This was the first long trip and my habbit on long trips is to check at every gas stop. (Many of those hee hee..) I have owned Chevy Truck up to this one. (I don't play the Ford / Chevy game)I think both companies should be proud... The point is Long trips or short trips with other truck I have never burned oil... (All truck fairly new of course) But this thing is burning oil like it is 10 years old in my opinion(IMO)... A truck that is < 3 yrs old pulling or not should never burn this much oil - again IMO..

Found another thread (Topic #158) on this subject...Looks like it's a mixed bag some folks with the issue and some without...:-X23 Looks like I got the short end of this "dip stick"...Well at least I have a truck with room to put all those empty oil bottles. I have decided that at every oil change I will kindly place them on the service managers desk at my local Ford dealer with a big thank you note to Ford note painted on with perm marker... Just a simple "Thanks for the design of my V10 a.k.a. ole smokie...:-rip

johntquickjr 11-05-2002 01:18 PM

Gofish, have you smell any odd odors after driving your truck around town especially if you just romped on the engine prior to the turning off the engine of your truck. If you do, make the ford garage check for a leak on passenger side of the engine(a leaky head). The test is just a dye added to the engine oil that will show the leak if it is present (only takes ten to fifteen minutes). If it is, it is a manufacture flaw in machining the heads known more in the 5.4L engines but are starting to show up in the V10. Could also be the pcv valve?? Never had that problem but have known a couple of people who have. My truck had the leaky head. Contact your local ford garage but also contact the ford motors consumer line (crcforddiv@customersupportctr.com). The ford company does not have to give you a replacement vehicle while your truck is in the garage even though it is a voluntary factory recall. This decision is based solely upon the local ford dealership/garage. Good luck!!!
JTQ 11/5/02 2:20 pm EST :-X22

rollnxl 11-05-2002 03:09 PM

horses440 01-23-2010 02:43 PM

V10 F250- 2000 excessive oil comsumption

I had to replace the fuel pump in my truck back in Sept, its been using up to 2 qrts of oil every 500 miles ever since. This is under normal driving conditons, no load. No leaks and this trk never used a drop of oil prior to fuel pump being changed. I was told I need a new engine. This trk only has 159,000 mile on it and has been very well taken care of. Any one have ideas

bpounds 01-23-2010 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by horses440 (Post 8409815)
I had to replace the fuel pump in my truck back in Sept, its been using up to 2 qrts of oil every 500 miles ever since. This is under normal driving conditons, no load. No leaks and this trk never used a drop of oil prior to fuel pump being changed. I was told I need a new engine. This trk only has 159,000 mile on it and has been very well taken care of. Any one have ideas

Try a new PCV. They can stick open and suck oil.

SDTriton250 01-23-2010 04:05 PM

I'd be a little torqued about that. My brand new 5.4L F250 has shown no oil loss on the dipstick with it's initial factory fill and 3k miles. 1250 of those miles was towing our 8500 lb 5th wheel 65~mph. My previous 5.7L Hemi powered 2500HD Ram towed a 10,400 lb 5th wheel intermittently through it's 120k miles. It burned it's usual 1/2 quart every 5k miles when I changed it's oil. I would expect the V10 to use no more than a quart every 5k. I wonder how it was treated by it's previous owner.

fredsheffield 01-23-2010 05:47 PM

1 qt per 1000 miles is the official Ford answer. We had a TSB that described the oil loss compared to losing 1 drop per revolution, and it adds up to something like 5 quarts in a mile, so the numbers look much better in comparison.
Here is something to consider, engines condensate moisture internally, that moisture sinks to the bottom of the pan because oil floats, of course. With a seldom driven vehicle, the oil never reaches operating temperature long enough to boil the water so the PCV can draw it out. While you may have checked the oil, and even changed it, there possibly could have been enough moisture in there to displace a full quart, driving that far with that weight surely heated the engine oil and the moisture left, leaving the mark you saw on the dipstick now lower than expected. I tell you exactly what Ford told us, drive the vehicle 20 miles at highway speed, change the oil, mark the dipstick and then have the customer return every 1000 miles to have it checked, if less than 1 qt in that driving range, NPF, return to customer.

SDTriton250 01-23-2010 08:10 PM

A full quart of water in the oil pan? Less than that would turn the oil to white gunk! Not the case with mine. That 3k miles is in a month since I bought it the week before Christmas. Maybe I got lucky and got an unusually good one. Maybe putting it right to work with less than 300 miles on it to tow our 5th wheel 1250 miles seated the rings right away? Either way, I'll measure it out at the first oil change and see how much comes out compared to 7qts IF 7qts exactly went into it at the factory. I asked about towing before the 500 miles and the fleet sales manager said he sells many Superduty's that are put straight to work in heavy service and hasn't seen a problem yet. We took it easy with 60mph flat land. He also said there's no reason to change the oil the first time before it's 5k mile normal interval. I hope he's right. So far so good!

fredsheffield 01-23-2010 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by SDTriton250 (Post 8411020)
A full quart of water in the oil pan? Less than that would turn the oil to white gunk! Not the case with mine. That 3k miles is in a month since I bought it the week before Christmas. Maybe I got lucky and got an unusually good one. Maybe putting it right to work with less than 300 miles on it to tow our 5th wheel 1250 miles seated the rings right away? Either way, I'll measure it out at the first oil change and see how much comes out compared to 7qts IF 7qts exactly went into it at the factory. I asked about towing before the 500 miles and the fleet sales manager said he sells many Superduty's that are put straight to work in heavy service and hasn't seen a problem yet. We took it easy with 60mph flat land. He also said there's no reason to change the oil the first time before it's 5k mile normal interval. I hope he's right. So far so good!

Your driving conditions do not compare to his. 1 12oz can of cold soda will develop 2ozs of condensation in a matter of minutes here in GA. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't there, that is why they have PCV.

SDTriton250 01-23-2010 08:31 PM

Since you put it that way, I see where you're coming from. Here in central Florida it's about the same. I've seen Harley's with short trip oil. It ain't pretty. With water being a bi-product of combustion, a humid environment could put a lot of water in the oil.

Fordfanatic4life 01-23-2010 08:34 PM

my V10 seems to make about 1Qt. of Synth oil dissappear between changes..no drips or oil smoke, but its goes somewere..

havent run it on dino-oil but i hear the non-snyth. oils dont seem to drop as easily..

but i prefer teh protection of Synth. so im more then willing to add a 1Qt. every now and then.

SDTriton250 01-23-2010 09:06 PM

I bought Mobil-1 in gallon containers for the 7qt Hemi. I always had one qt left over for the mower. If I go with Mobil-1 for the Ford, I'll probably do the same but the 5w-20 won't go in the mower. I'll just hang on to it for top ups if it needs it or put it towards the next change. Hoping for the latter.