Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum32/)
-   -   a4ld transmission problem (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/182847-a4ld-transmission-problem.html)

racingdeathwish 12-18-2003 07:47 AM

a4ld transmission problem

i have a 1992 ford explorer 4x4 4.0 engin with a4ld auto transmission the problem started about 4 months ago when i changed the trans fluid and filter the truck would drive fine when warm but when the truck was cold and you put it in gear it would move 10 or 15 foot and than it would stop moveing for a few seconds almost like it was not pumping fluid and than it would engage and move fine and than do the samething over again until it warmed up a bit than it would run great yesterday 12-16-03 the truck was started to go to work and warmed up when i was ready to go the truck backed out of the drive went down the street about 3 blocks and did its deal with not moveing about 5 foot from a stop light when the light turned green it drove about 30 foot and the truck wont move anymore in any gear it starts revs but dont move it made no sound before it stoped moveing it does no leak any fluid and everything is topped of fluid wise the linkage moves when shifted cable is fine but wont move

help Thanks rick

marragtop 12-18-2003 10:01 AM

I don't have a quick fix, but do have a couple of questions.. Did the problem start after you did the fluid/filter change, and how miles are on it? My '92 (150k) is starting to have the same symptoms, and I've thought about doing a fluid/filter change, but am afraid it may make matters worse. I bought it used and do not know the service history of the trans. I've heard that with a trans that hasn't been properly maintained, changing the filter and fluid at this point could make matters worse. Let's see what some of the other posts say.

Mike

racingdeathwish 12-18-2003 01:38 PM

mike

i changed the fluid at just about 150k it now has 177k on it after i changed the fluid is when i started to notice a difference if it did not warm up at least 25 or 35 min before moved it would drive but it would act like someone put it in netural at first i raised the throtal to about 2 1/2 or 3 for about 5 seconds and it would catch and run something else i have noticed before it stoped moveing is if i was backing up and hit the breaks to fast and put it in drive i would have to wate a second for it to catch i was told by several places i called that it was the tqrke converter spleens scheared off but you would think you would hear some kinda noise they say its in oil so you would not i am almost certin its the transmission pump thats about $300.00 to be put in by a shop plus labor i have $3,200.00 i payed for it and i just replaced the drivers 4x4 hub $398.00 and now if its the trans it self i was told thousand to fifteen hundred depending on milage i almost to the point were i do beleve the tv ads i see were they say ( have you looked at ford lately ) its about the worst thing i can see out my window now :-X09

Opera House Works 12-18-2003 06:38 PM

I would be totally amazed if it wasn't your filter sucking air. Just something you overlooked like a period after a sentence. Wait long enough and you will need a tranny rebuild.

racingdeathwish 12-19-2003 08:37 AM

IF THE TRUCK DONT MOVE THAN I GUESS ITS NEED REBULDING BUT IF IT WAS SUCKING AIR WHY WOULD IT DO IT WHEN IT WAS COLD ???? WHEN IT WAS WARM THERE WAS NO PROBS ??

Opera House Works 12-19-2003 08:47 AM

FOR THE SAME REASON THERE ARE TWO FULL LEVELS ON THE DIPSTICK, HOT AND COLD. HEY, WERE PROGRESSING. YOU ARE UP TO USING QUESTION MARKS! NOW WE HAVE TO WORK ON THE SHIFT KEY. ADDING AN EXTRA QUART WOULD HAVE THE SAME EFFECT. HAVE YOU VERIFIED THAT YOU ALSO HAVE THE PROBLEM IN D?

CarlnLola 12-19-2003 05:03 PM

Are you sure you are not losing fluid? It sounds like the vacuum modulator is leaking. If so, you will not see it on the ground but it will show up as white smoke from the exhaust if the truck has been sitting for a few days. I had this same problem-cold: no shift, warm-shift. At first I was checking fluid levels and adding a half oint once every other week would fix the problem. But couldn't find out where the fluid was going. Finally, it donned on me to check the vacuum distrubution manifold (little black thing with akll the small hoses attached to it; back of engine, driver's side on firewall.) Sure enough, found tranny fluid in one of the hoses. Followed it down to the modulator. Replaced modulator and hose and no more shifting issues. The reason it works warm is because the fluid expands and effectively increases the amount of fluid in the tranny. That's why adding a little while cold would help but you risk an over-fill condition which is not good in any auto trans.

racingdeathwish 12-21-2003 12:25 AM

a4ld

carl

no i have noticed any fluid dropage on the stick everything was up to date before i left because i had checked it the day before when the truck is started and you put it in gear and release the brake its like its in nutural it does not make any jurk like any car or truck does when it is put in gear wile the brake is on the gear is selected the truck has no movement in any gear does not try to move just revs when you try and push the gas i have had a friend see if when i put it in gear if the linkage moves and yes it does the cable and linkage seem to be working there is no burnt smell on the fluid and no flakes in the fluid i hope this will help with your reply