Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   best extra fuel tank? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/178017-best-extra-fuel-tank.html)

lombardo96 12-03-2003 10:00 PM

best extra fuel tank?

Im looking to add an extra fuel tank in the bed, but I do not want a super bolky one that I see alot on farm trucks. Can some point me in the right direction? Thank you in advance

Delawhere? 01-01-2004 02:51 PM

If your looking for a replacement fuel tank or one that goes into the bed of your truck. A good place to start looking is the Transfer flow, Inc. web site. www.transferflow.com, you can find info on your vehicle and also they will send you a catalog of their products. I am thinking of adding a larger replacement tank for my crewcab f 250, only have 29 gallons capacity. I would like to have at least 40 for towing my travel trailer. Hope this helps, you can also find tank info in the rv mags like ( trailer life ) and ( truck trend ) and others to name a couple.

lrhill 01-04-2004 05:47 PM

I put a tool box/fuel tank combo in mine for the same reason. It was worth the investment for me, made trips much better not having to fuel so often. I can carry a total of 60 gallons now and the box does not take up any more space than a normal low profile truck tool box. Looked at transfer flow's products and while it looks to be a really nice setup, I just couldn't justify the cost.

Larry

Delawhere? 01-07-2004 02:34 PM

Irhill- just wondering what brand of fuel/tool box did you purchase for your truck? Right now I have a tool box without a fuel tank it has a sloping top to it and it is perfect for seeing my fifth wheel hitch. I would like something just like it but with a fuel tank below it with approx. 20 more galllons capacity. I too have a short bed F250, pulls my trailer just great!

lrhill 01-07-2004 04:00 PM

I got mine from KSH Marine in Arizona (kshmarine.com), talk to Brian. They specialize in marine fuel tanks but have a line of pickup tanks also. They have one (mine) that is for people that pull 5vers. It doesn't stick up above the bed rails and they will make any combination of fuel/tool capacity you want. I got one with a 30 gallon capacity so that left about 13 vertical inches of tool box. That's not much but I can fit quite a bit of stuff in there and I don't use it for work, just fun stuff.

I installed mine as a true second tank with float with a switchover valve. They supplied everything. Took me about a day to install and plumb it. Originally they sent the wrong float but have since made it right. I think the cost for all the pieces and parts (and shipping) was about $800.

I'm very happy with it. Did a lot of research before settling on this one. There are several others out there, this one just seem to fit my needs.

Larry