Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   5.4L 3 valve vs Hemi - yet again (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/166713-5-4l-3-valve-vs-hemi-yet-again.html)

bassdude 11-04-2003 07:13 PM

Originally posted by 92f150I6
Wow, who stuck their foot in their mouth now? Basically this, If I wanted a vehicle that went fast and handled good I'd buy a car. If I wanted a vehicle to work, I'd buy a truck. As to the jet boat thing, I sure hope that your 350+hp truck can tow a jet boat, cause my old 155hp truck did it just fine as well.
well the lightning is fast, handles good (better than most cars) and is pretty sharp looking. i was smart enough to get it all in one vehicle. i don't know anyone who would pay 35.000 for a lightning. mine was right at 30. if you want to tow with a 155 hp vehicle thats your problem. for the second time, i was making the point that a lightning can handle pickup duties no problem. and it's 380 plus not 350. i know you dodge lovers desperatly want to classify the L in the" not really a truck" catagory. sorry it's more of a truck than your hemi badge on wheels will ever be, just like every other ford is.

bigbluebronco43 11-04-2003 07:34 PM

Originally posted by bassdude
.... sorry it's more of a truck than your hemi badge on wheels will ever be, just like every other ford is.
hahaha that is pretty funny, seriously. Reread the post before making ignorant assumptions, its a response like that one that has nothing backing it up whatsoever and is completely based on opinion. Facts are Dodge has the one up, I don't even own one, I just got rid of my Bronco after 5 years of ownership, but I'm not blind or stupid and know that the Dodge has the one up on the competition right now.

As for the 3000GT, I loved that car but no longer own it. It handled amazing especially for its weight, which even though was a very heavy car it never felt heavy at all. I didn't own a turbo, it was a Dark Metallic Blue SL with tan Leather interior and also had the adjustable suspension-that was a really fun button to push getting off highways or getting onto them. My cousin bought a VR4 when I sold mine and she left me drive it for a bit and it was amazing. Lastly, you said you owned a few stealths, my father used to work at a dodge dealership when those cars were made and he'd always use them as company cars, I like those better than the 3000GT, but I think its because I was younger and because having them around all the time I started to become biased.

bigdawg460 11-04-2003 08:39 PM

Originally posted by torque
Thanks bigbluebronco43 for saving me a lot of time. It really is amazing how much content you get with the Ram that is one up on the competition. I heard the sales numbers for the month of October and the 1500 Ram was up 46% from last October while the Ford F150 was up 17% (or something real close to that). Now the F150 is all new vs last year (powertrain and body) and likely accounts for the sales increase. The Ram on the other hand already had the new body style. The only difference the Dodge has versus last year is the availability of the Hemi in the 1/2 ton. Thanks to the Hemi, the The Ram is enjoying a similar growth spurt to the mid 90s when the "Big Rig" styling was introduced. I just hope they can make enough to meet the demand.

This wont make me favorities with many of the board but I'd like to ask you about your 3000GT. Nice car, is it a VR4? I have a couple turbo Stealths myself.

Where are you getting this?You are saying that the dodge has outdone ford,before there has been a real head to head.I remember a few years ago motortrend compared ford v10s to dodge's .Ford was fastest loaded and unloaded,everything else was equal (weight ,gearing etc).Now im pretty sure the dodge had (or should i say was rated at)more peak power then the ford,but motortrend said the ford had more average horsepower and torque.I wish i still had the magazine but i gave it to a friend.I really cant wait to see a head to head with these two.Then and only then can we even have this discussion.

tstpnb 11-04-2003 10:18 PM

Originally posted by torque
Thanks bigbluebronco43 for saving me a lot of time. It really is amazing how much content you get with the Ram that is one up on the competition. I heard the sales numbers for the month of October and the 1500 Ram was up 46% from last October while the Ford F150 was up 17% (or something real close to that). Now the F150 is all new vs last year (powertrain and body) and likely accounts for the sales increase. The Ram on the other hand already had the new body style. The only difference the Dodge has versus last year is the availability of the Hemi in the 1/2 ton. Thanks to the Hemi, the The Ram is enjoying a similar growth spurt to the mid 90s when the "Big Rig" styling was introduced. I just hope they can make enough to meet the demand.

This wont make me favorities with many of the board but I'd like to ask you about your 3000GT. Nice car, is it a VR4? I have a couple turbo Stealths myself.

thanks for that nice opinion that was very informative sorry i havet't been able to reply to this post lately, school in the way....

but my quote on best engine was stated by wards, same one that said the hemi was best too....

well on blue oval news the f-150 is up in sales by 65% that is 9 percent more than your dodge 1500

i dont know why you dodge guys assume that ram is the best truck ever. if they were so good then they would be the worlds best selling truck. that or all those that buy the best selling vehicle overall, are just retarded. you really cant compare truck sales with ford. ford always sells more. they have a reputation for making a great truck as is the 150 and superduty lineup.
i am not bashing dodge by any means, i think they are solid, but they are still trying to get the rest of the world to know that they finally decided to catch up with the very competetive truck market.

dont get mad, just some numbers and opinions

my 2 cents

bassdude 11-04-2003 10:51 PM

nobody cares about your ex riceburners, this is a ford truck site. you dodge guys put alot of faith in those numbers you keep quoting from who knows where. do you spend alot of time scouring magazines for statistics favorable to your pet brand dodge? i don't believe anything i hear and only half of what i see.(nothing that you post) i know from experiance what a good truck is. and after owning several different brands i'll stick with ford thanks. oh yea. my lightning owned a couple stealths too. turbo's and all.:-D

Lectrocuted 11-04-2003 11:22 PM

As a matter of fact bassdude, my loyalty is to my wallet. I am not a brand loyal/blind sheep nor will I ever be. I don't think a long stroke ohc engine with a supercharger is the best configuration for a high performance engine. I also don't believe multi-valve ohc's are superior to 2 valve pushrods. While I will give Ford credit where it's due, I think the Dodge and Chevy v-8's have more potential for performance. Nevermind Nissan's new monster. Just my hopefully open minded opinion.

bassdude 11-04-2003 11:31 PM

i'm constantly hearing about the motors that have more potential than the fords. i rarely see ones that are taken advantage of. wonder why?

Lectrocuted 11-04-2003 11:39 PM

You haven't looked very hard.

bassdude 11-04-2003 11:42 PM

actually i don't look at all. i don't have to. they all are drawn to the lightning. sorry i'm talking about the lightning in the present tense like i still have it. i traded the L for a 03 cobra about 9 months ago. i just want to be straight about that. as for being a blind sheep, i know what i like from experiance. am i at Ford Truck Enthusiasts site?

bigbluebronco43 11-05-2003 08:54 AM

Ok F/I engines are MUCH easier to get power out of then N/A engines, so saying that Dodge and Chevy don't have engines that can expand for more horsepower based on that is dumb. With both the "L" and the 03 Cobra, a simple pully mod, chip, exhaust, CAI, will put you up probably more than 100 horsepower, which is easy for an engine like that because you can get more air in and out easier than a N/A engine. As for the ricer comment, I was answer a quick question he had and if you call stealths and VR4's Rice than you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to automobiles. As for the trucks and what they can do, your right their hasn't been a head to head comparison yet, but Torque said he'd take the bet but the Mod hasn't said anything to him about it yet-from what I can see. And yes Motortrend did do a test on both V10's but Fords was released after Dodges was out, so I would hope that they would have a more powerful engine. I'm not a Dodge boy, Chevy boy, or Ford boy, I like what performs the best and I am impressed by Fords new 5.4 But all of you Ford guys put it on a pedestal like its gods gift to the world of trucking and there is no graphs or tests to prove anything. And by numbers alone it STILL doesn't have the torque of the HEMI. I just bought a 4wheel & off road magazine and they are building up a new 04 F150, MagnaFlow exhaust has used it to try out a new catback and they did a dyno, its just a picture and starts at 3200 RPM and at that point it has about 260lb/ft. but seems to be dropping very fast before that. Also they got a peak torque of 290ft/lb at around 3810RPM. This is a stock 5.4 with the cat back on it. So taking 80% of 290= 232 ft/lbs at 1000RPM. I'm almost positive these figures were taken at the wheels also, Peak HP was 234@5195

mattsf250 11-05-2003 09:42 AM

LOL!

anyway, we have a couple of dodge purists here, and nothing will change their minds.... bigblueb....... thinks you can purchase a supercharger for a new hemi for 3k, and that it is magically installed, tuned, fuel system modified, ignition system etc.....somehow i doubt that.
and, 517hp....where? at the wheels? if so, no headers? no exhaust work done at all on that truck?

i have had many supercharged cars. the last being an 02 Gt, ran 10lbs of boost from a vortech s-trim s/c....the kit was 3200, i installed it myself. got 303rwhp with vortechs chip! took the car in, spent 1k with a local diablo tuner, hit 370rwhp/360rwtq, with perfect idle, and no detonation. added irridium plugs, and a magnaflow x pipe, more tuning, got it to 408rwhp, 377ftlbs. this also included a 03 cobra fuel tank, and dual pump setup....hp is not free, and you are kidding yourself to think buying a supercharger gives you hp, it has to be installed, tuned, then if you want those kind of numbers, youll need to buy additional parts to make it happen....not to mention a transmission that can handle it! you'll need a ford unit, i think advanced adapters has something for ya ;)

as for the brakes, and handling of the dodge, well, i was talking out my arse, i have no idea if your facts are true, or made up, but ill give you the benifit of the doubt. i still know it will cost ya ~5k to get another 100rwhp reliably out of the new hemi with a supercharger.....

as for the '04 5.4 rwhp #'s, add ~20% to those numbers to get the flywheel numbers....

ohh, and where is the dodge dynojet results, still have never seen em? been out what, a year and half longer than fords 3v 5.4????Profanity Removed

Jackflack 11-05-2003 09:58 AM

The Dodge 1/2 ton Hemi fans better read this real world comparison test. New Ford F150 has more useable power.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles...f150drive.html

bigbluebronco43 11-05-2003 10:15 AM

Hey mattsf250- http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/stor...bee/page1.html
Also, I did say I thought it had exhaust work, as does the Lightning.

and Jackflack, you REALLY think that someone who gets paid to have a Ford website is going to brag about how awesome a Dodge, or Chevy is compared to a brand new vehicle put out by Ford? Would you expect to go to a Dodge/Chevy site and hear them say, "wow that new Ford completely kicked the Dodge/Chevy's butt in every category we could throw at it, you might as well sell your truck and by a Ford"....Umm NO.
If you read that article, you can plainly see the emphasis based on the F150 as to the other trucks, I'll wait till this tow off happens or until car & driver, motortrend/trucktrend, road and track, or some other magazine, not paid for by Ford, Dodge, or Chevy, does a test. Until then, thank you please come again.

Jackflack 11-05-2003 10:33 AM

You won't see Dodge Hemi or Chevy doing a towing comparison test against a Ford F150.

bigbluebronco43 11-05-2003 10:41 AM

I was talking about Dodge/Chevy enthusiast sites, such as this one being a Ford enthusiast website. Obviously they would all be biased towards their brands.

Straight from Kenne Bell- http://www.kennebell.net/supercharge...i57/hemi57.htm