Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ford vs The Competition (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum17/)
-   -   5.9L V8 vs 5.4L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/160535-5-9l-v8-vs-5-4l-v8.html)

LPD111 10-10-2003 09:41 PM

5.9L V8 vs 5.4L V8

I am looking for a new(er) truck, more specifically either a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 or a 2002 Ford Super Duty F250 Super Cab. Both has an auto tranny.

I really like the above 01 Dodge 2500 4x4 I recently test drove, and I am going tomorrow to test drive the 02 Ford SD 4x4.

I have found both vehicles with the V8 engine, and am unsure which route to take. Both are extremely nice trucks.

Comparo:
Ford: 5.4L V8 330 cid
Dodge: 5.9L V8 360 cid

HP:
Ford: 260 hp@4500 rpms
Dodge: 245 hp@4000 rpms

TORQUE:
Ford: 350 tq@2500 rpms
Dodge: 330 tq@3250 rpms

BORE & STROKE
Ford: 90.215x105.8 mm
Dodge: 101.6x90.9 mm

COMPRESSION:
Ford: 9.0:1
Dodge: 9.1:1

OIL CAPACITY:
Ford: 6 quarts w/ filter
Dodge: 5 quarts w/ filter

The smaller oil capacity on the larger CID Dodge engine kinds of makes me question the Dodge choice. My 3.9L V6 Dakota took 6 quarts, and I loved how the truck ran so cool, even on HOT days towing. Will the smaller oil capacity present a cooling issue? Then again, is 30 CID that much larger??

Both are relatively similar engines 'technically/statistically'. Similar compression, close CID, close hp/tq at similar RPM ranges. The Ford does seem to develop the highest tq rating at a lower rpm though, about 750 rpms less.

Any info or advice?

optikal illushun 10-10-2003 10:06 PM

the 360 IMHO is a terd in a big truck like that kinda underpowered and could use some improvement. also the dodges trannies arent known to hold up to abuse very well. i think u'd be better off w/ the ford, and im not just sayin it cuz im a ford nut.

Lectrocuted 10-10-2003 10:37 PM

The 5.4 is also a turd in a 250. Go with the time tested pushrod 360.

n2umr 10-11-2003 12:04 PM

I just spoke with a contractor that rents catapiller equipment. He has a 2000 F250 with the 5.4. I asked him how he liked that engine in the F250. He told me that it was excellent! It has 185,000+ miles and he tows a 10,000lb trailer everyday and had never had a problem towing, even with the bed loaded.

Dodges 360 is a DOG! old push rod crap. Go with the FORD!

WXboy 10-11-2003 06:44 PM

Old push-rod crap? Are you nuts?

I'll tell you what, I'm a Ford man...but the Dodge 360 will stomp a Ford V8 into the ground. Period. When it comes to low-end torque and shear power, you can't beat a push-rod design. If you were going to buy a truck strictly based on the engine , the Dodge 360 would win EASILY. However, it is true that the Dodge auto. tranny will not be as reliable. So for an overall combination, go with the Ford if you plan to keep it a while.

Ratsmoker 10-11-2003 06:51 PM

Fact is the new 5.4L makes more torque at a lower RPM than the 360. Don't get me wrong. I think the mopar small blocks were all great engines. I never liked anything they put the 360 in though. Back in the day the 318 seemed to be the torquiest engine in the 300 cubic inch range by a long shot. Times have changed.

c_rossman 10-11-2003 08:56 PM

I really dont like Dodges Front axle with the vacuum center disconnect. When it fails you will have no 4X4. I would rather have lockouts IMO. Leaf springs are also nice because there are alot less parts to wear out. The dodges have 4 links that can get loose after awhile. The Fords are cheaper to lift also.

optikal illushun 10-11-2003 10:55 PM

i think i remember reading the 300 I6 out torques the 318 for a while in the 80s...

LPD111 10-12-2003 05:27 AM

True, the Dodge CAD (central axle disconnect) aka 'center vacuum disconnect' might pose a slight problem, if it were to fail. As with any 4WD system, though. However, if need be, for $200 you can install a bulletproof actuating system from 4x4 Posi-Lock.

I have never heard of the CAD failing, but as with anything it might.

The thing I dont carre for with Ford's 4WD system is the 4WD 'dash dial' for activating 4WD. How many wires are hooked up to this system along with relays and fuses.

Which 4WD system is more prone to breakage, trail related damage, and mechanical failures.............I say the 4WD system that uses electicity to engage the front axle, not the vacuum actuated one.

Just my opinion though.

I just would rather have a lever I pull on to engage 4WD HI/LO.

RYR88 10-12-2003 11:06 AM

I'm don't know very much about the Dodge transmissions, but I think the 360 would definately put up with a lot more abuse than the 5.4. The 318 and 360 are old designs, and don't make the most hp and torque for their size, but will probably outlast most other engines out on the road today. I have a few friends with over 200,000 miles on both the 318 and 360. Also, just from looking at the forums, the 4.6 and 5.4 Modular V8's, seem to have many more problems (spark plugs popping out of heads, head gasket problems) than the 360. The 360 is a cast iron block and has cast iron heads, so to me that is probably a little less likely to crack or warp. Don't get me wrong, Ford makes excellent trucks, but I tend to favor the Mopar smallblocks. Good luck with your choice.

78fordman 10-12-2003 11:29 AM

Just because they are old designs does not mean anything, we have a 97 chevy with a vortec 350. The 350 goes back, its a pretty old motor, but we spun a rod bearing, and we found out 3 other people around this area which have have low end problems, with normal maitnince ( oil and filter every 2000 mi, but its a chevy, what are you going to do ). I would go with the 5.4 for towing to the 360, what good is the torque at 3250 RPM? I do not know many people that drive around with their motor running 3200 RPM plus. The 5.4 would be a better pulling motor. The 5.4 has an extra quart of oil, which would keep the low end a lot cooler. The ford has a bigger stroke, i am a fan of low end motors. Usually an engine with a big stroke will have more low end torque, which applys to his needs. Ford matches a better transmission to their motors, one which can hold together, as where dodge has had some problems with transmissions latlely. I think i would stick with the ford, a better towing truck

WXboy 10-12-2003 02:18 PM

First of all, my new Ranger has 47 more horsepower than my old one. But my old OHV 4.0 felt a LOT stronger than this one. So you can't just look at numbers on a sheet of paper and say "yeah, the 5.4 is torquier". That's horsecrap. I am still amazed everytime I drive my father's Dodge with the 360. So much power. To bad the auto. tranny is no good.

Second, GM trucks used a central axle disconnect in the front end, and mine failed on me during the winter in the middle of a snowstorm. It was not electronic, but still it failed. I had another truck, a Ford, that had a manual transfer case and manual locking hubs. It too failed at the hubs during the winter and did not work properly. So far, I have had NO trouble whatsoever out of my Rangers with electronic 4x4 systems. So the point is...there is nothing wrong with an electronic 4x4 system. You just have to maintain it properly.

n2umr 10-12-2003 02:55 PM

Like I have said before about this constant feud about push rod and OHC.

The LP was excellent in it's day, now the CD is better. We used to have black and white TV but now we have color. Technology, it happens for a reason.

As far as longevity, the modular engine should well outlast and perform better longer than any pushrod engine. There are to may things to wear out in a push rod engine.

LONG LIVE THE MODULAR OHC ENGINES!!!

Frost13 10-12-2003 04:35 PM

You're getting the 3/4 ton without a diesel? :-staun Oh well, I guess some people just don't
like them. Well, you should get the Ford anyways even
with a gas.:-staun Did I just say that? PSD lover forever!!!

WXboy 10-12-2003 07:14 PM

Originally posted by n2umr
Like I have said before about this constant feud about push rod and OHC.

The LP was excellent in it's day, now the CD is better. We used to have black and white TV but now we have color. Technology, it happens for a reason.

As far as longevity, the modular engine should well outlast and perform better longer than any pushrod engine. There are to may things to wear out in a push rod engine.

LONG LIVE THE MODULAR OHC ENGINES!!!

Oh, so that's why the physical size of the OHC 4.0 grew to accomodate all those extra parts. Timing chains, cams, etc... Hmm... :rolleyes:

If this SOHC engine lasts 200K miles or more like the pushrod 4.0s did, I'll be surprised. Happy..but surprised. Anyway...back to the original post...