Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ford vs The Competition (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum17/)
-   -   528 hemi (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/159218-528-hemi.html)

Jimmy Dean 04-27-2004 05:14 PM

Way back in 69 Ford came out with a New Boss 429. they ran the car for 2 years. 69/70 model years. This car had the highest rated horsepower out of a mustang for over 30 years, until the 03 Cobra which beat it by 5-10 HP RATED. However, those bosses way back when where dyno'd at a bit over 400 at the crank, as are these new cobras. So noone really knows which car had the higher rating

Anyways.

The boss '9 was a detuned race motor. Somewheres I have a lsit of SIMPLE mods to do to bring horsepower up to a nice little level. If I remember right it is.....pistons and cam.....yes jsut pistons and cam...and a bigger carb of course. And we are talking numbers topping 600 hp at least. A swap in heads, as previously mentioned, can net near on 100 hp also. These motors SCREAM. And the only one I know of......has a cracked block because the owner let it sit outside for WAY to long (near on 20 yars now)

Everytime I go to that place I get sad....he has a line of 69/70 boss 302s and 429s that he CLAIMS are not rebuildable.... :( something like that....unless the frame is ripped in half can be fixed...but alas I dont have the money. :(

bigsnag 04-27-2004 06:33 PM

Does he want to sell a "junked" Boss 429 car? I would be interested.

Jimmy Dean 04-27-2004 09:21 PM

He might. I really dont think he is willing to sell them at all for some reason. I will talk to him next time I am down there. You mihgt at best be able to get one of the Boss 302s from him. If I had the money I would have all 5 of them there is also a Cobra II back there, not that I care for them but some people do

ga302p 04-27-2004 09:31 PM

I Am A Die Hard Ford Fan, But Face Facts. Cubic Inch For Cubic Inch, In An All Out Race Engine, Nothing Can Touch The Hemi. N.H.R.A. TOP FUEL, AND FUNNY CAR RUNS NOTHING BUT HEMI. JUST SAW A T.V. SPECIAL BY DON GARLITS ON THE HEMI. HE SAYS THAT DESPITE ALL THE ADVANCEMENTS IN THE ENGINE. ITS BASIC DESIGN IS STILL THE SAME HEMI IT ALWAYS WAS.
IF THE BOSS WAS AS GOOD AS THE HEMI, WE WOULD SEE ONE DOING 315MPH IN THE QUARTER. WE WOULD ALSO SEE IT IN VICTORY LANE AT SOME N.H.R.A. TO FUEL EVENTS. THE HEMI DID NOT START GETTING OUTRUN IN NASCAR UNTILL NASCAR STARTING RESTRICTING IT. THATS WHY DODGE HAD TO GO BACK TO THE WEDGE.

THE ONLY THING THAT CAN OUTRUN THE HEMI IN THE 1/4 MILE IS A ROCKET ENGINE OR JET ENGINE.

DON'T GET MAD AT ME ABOUT THE POST. I WISH FORD WOULD COME UP WITH SOMETHING THAT WOULD NOCK THE MIGHTy HEMI OUT AS THE KING OF THE 1/4 MILE, BUT IT HAS NOT HAPPENED.

I also have never heard of a boss engine that could make 8,000 hp @ 498 c.i.

bigsnag 04-27-2004 09:36 PM

Jimmy,
Let me know. I am dead serious. I would like to get his phone # and give him a call. You can email or private message me, if you want. Thanks.

thunderguns71 04-27-2004 10:00 PM

Well maybe if you wouldn't type in all caps like we are dyslexic or something no one would take any offense. :-X22

ga302p 04-27-2004 10:02 PM

That better?

thunderguns71 04-27-2004 10:10 PM

Yup , not trying to be too much of a smart *** but you know people react badly to caps

ga302p 04-27-2004 10:13 PM

Sorry, I type all caps in the computer program I use at work , and just forget and hit the button sometimes. It was not intentional, but it is easier to read.

bigsnag 04-27-2004 10:32 PM

The reason Dodge dominates in the top fuel categories is due to funding. Ford cut all funding of races just about the time the Boss 429 was coming to life. The Boss has just as much potential as a Hemi. Why?? Because it IS a hemi.

Why don't you see Dodge dominating in IHRA? Where mountain motors rule the roost, Ford big blocks with Boss heads are dominant.

ga302p 04-28-2004 04:31 PM

The Chrysler Hemi is only at its best When Supercharged and burning alcohol or Nitro. NHRA pro stock is proof that the hemi is not any better than the wedge in the street classes. I agree with you that the boss is an awesome engine in the lower classes. As competitive as top fuel class is, NHRA and IHRA, If the boss had the potential to beat the Chrysler type Hemi, someone would have developed it further. Top fuel class is like Winston Cup, money is not an object. In the sports where brute power is the key ingredient, top fuel drag, monster truck, drag boat, tractor pulling, hill climbing, the top classes run the Hemi. They do it for a reason, sentimental attachment or brand loyalty does not win races, horsepower does. A perfect example of that is John Force, blue oval on the hood, hemi under the hood.

bigsnag 04-28-2004 04:39 PM

Again, the problem is Ford cut all of their funding at a critical time, just as the Boss was starting up. The Boss does have the potential, but no one has had the time or money to try it. At this point the Hemi's they are runnind are so far advanced ANY engine would not be able to catch up. Even if you wanted to run 4V heads with DOHC, you could spend several fortunes before you were able to advance that technology beyond the, literally, billions of dollars that have gone into getting the Hemi where it is today.