Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   6.0 No Power (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/153381-6-0-no-power.html)

Stroker67 09-17-2003 09:42 AM

6.0 No Power

I own a 2003 F-350 with the 6.0 Powerstroke Diesel. I have owned it for about 5 months now and have racked up 12000 miles on it. It has given me problems since the day I drove it off the lot. When I fisrt bought the truck it had tons of power now the more I drive it the less it has. My first major problem started about 2 months ago I was trying to get on the highway when I lost all power I couldn't get the truck up to 60mph. I took it to Ford an they told me a few codes went off but i shouldn't worry about it, I probably got bad fuel. I was kinda pissed that they acted like nothing was worng with my truck. Then about 800 miles later it was doing it again I again had no power. I took it to them again and they ran it on the computer and a few codes came up(P0402, 2263, P0113). After these three codes came up they tryed to tell me that a vaccume hose was lose on my air box and it was my fault because I must have knocked it off when I changed my oil. I then proceded to tell them that they were the last to change my oil and I doubt that that one hose made these codes go off. They said well that was it and they fixed it for me. Well 1000 miles later I have no power again and for the third time took it in and they had codes(P0402 and P2263) The Boost and EGR codes. They replaced the EGR and just reset the boost code. Now its been about 200 miles on the new EGR and the truck still is lacking power and now it has a strong hesitation when I try increase speed. If anyone else is having problems like this let me know.

paschman2000 09-17-2003 09:54 AM

6.0 No Power

Is it cold out when these problems happen? If the truck isn't warmed up fully the waiste-gate is still closed rfesulting in no power at all. Doubt thats the problem but you never know.

International Tech 09-17-2003 01:25 PM

6.0 No Power

sounds like the exhaust back pressure device is hanging closed.

glk 09-17-2003 06:01 PM

6.0 No Power

I had very similar problem, They replaced the turbo and replaced the PCM and down loaded the new codes for the computer after 8/18/03 and the power came back. The pcm has been a major problem with lack in the power with others.

rfm1 09-17-2003 08:30 PM

6.0 No Power

Had very similar problems check my thread at 6.0 problems help.
Rich

Debug 09-17-2003 09:59 PM

6.0 No Power

You need to go to a different service center. The clowns at the dealer you have been visiting don't know what they are talking about.

resqdawg3 09-17-2003 10:58 PM

6.0 No Power

Originally posted by paschman2000
Is it cold out when these problems happen? If the truck isn't warmed up fully the waiste-gate is still closed rfesulting in no power at all. Doubt thats the problem but you never know.
If the wastgate is closed, the truck would be producing gobs of boost! The wastegate is just that, when it opens, it dumps excess boost pressure. This way it keeps everything happy, and boost where it's supposed to be.

Maybe you're thinking of the little actuator for the VVT on the Turbo. If that isn't working right, you'd be producing very little, if any boost. Depending on what position it was stuck in.

mmfarm2517 09-18-2003 11:33 AM

6.0 No Power

i have a 2003 f250 and have had problems with my truck from about 300 miles on it i have 14,000 one it know and jusy tild ford that i was don,twith it that i want a new truck and if that wasn,t in there plans i was going to get a lawyer and file undewr the lemon law. 9-18-03

paschman2000 09-18-2003 02:10 PM

6.0 No Power

Can you please type SLOWER! I can't understand anything you just typed.

resqdawg3 Just as you said, The wastegate is just that, when it opens, it dumps excess boost pressure. So, if it is still closed how is the boost getting to the engine? Maybe i'm just not understanding you.

Paschman:-X01

resqdawg3 09-18-2003 02:53 PM

6.0 No Power

The Wastegate
Most automotive turbochargers have a wastegate, which allows the use of a smaller turbocharger to reduce lag while preventing it from spinning too quickly at high engine speeds. The wastegate is a valve that allows the exhaust to bypass the turbine blades. The wastegate senses the boost pressure. If the pressure gets too high, it could be an indicator that the turbine is spinning too quickly, so the wastegate bypasses some of the exhaust around the turbine blades, allowing the blades to slow down.
HowStuffWorks.com
Prolly the greatest site to learn stuff from.....

For an internal wastegate, it vent's the excess pressure into the exhaust stream on the exhaust side of the turbo. For an external wastegate, it just dumps the excess pressure to the atmosphere.

Stroker67 09-19-2003 08:27 AM

6.0 No Power

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to be taking it to a different dealership to see if they will help me. Thanks agian

Stroker67 09-19-2003 08:29 AM

6.0 No Power