Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/)
-   -   Anyone interested in 16 x 6, 6 on 7.25 lug pattern, dual wheel old F350 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/153377-anyone-interested-in-16-x-6-6-on-7-25-lug-pattern-dual-wheel-old-f350.html)

leawq2 09-17-2003 09:29 AM

Anyone interested in 16 x 6, 6 on 7.25 lug pattern, dual wheel old F350

I am searching for a manufacturer willing to run a special batch of these unique rare and impossible to find wheels. This will be an aftermarket steel wheel matching the specs, but tubeless (not a two part rim). The more of us I can get together that are willing to participate, the better the chance to get someone to produce them. All interested, please respond. Thanks…

1 TON 09-17-2003 12:16 PM

Well you know you can count me in. I can't believe Stockton is still not interested. I know there is the issue of manufacturing the center section, but they're allready halfway there. And you can't tell me that there aren't any Dodge or military vehicles of this vintage running duallies.
One Ton

1 TON 09-17-2003 02:34 PM

Just got off the phone with Stockton Wheel, it's not a dead issue just a dormant one. SO one possibility is, we get enough people interested we may have a viable economic reason for them to produce them. It's that *$&% offset center that's killing us. Otherwise it's a straightforward wheel.
One Ton

leawq2 09-18-2003 06:20 AM

That is great. I plan to do my measurements this weekend. From what I am getting told by folks around here, as long as I go with a complete sit of wheels, the later ford 8 lug wheels would work if I could get them punched in the correct pattern. Well, I plan to go with a complete set of tubeless wheels (all seven); therefore that point is mute. They should be able to take the blank 8 lug wheel and punch our pattern in it.

I will have the measurements they require on their website this weekend. Then I can talk on level ground with them.

This old truck is begging to be put back on the road, and I'm not going to let the need for a new pair of shoes stop it.:D

davidoldfordfan 09-21-2003 07:04 AM

I have two 66 F350's with 6 lug wheels, one is a Dually with the 16 inchers and the other a crew cab with 19.5 I am interested.

You mentioned having it off the road because it needs new tires. Cn you not find anyone to do split rims?

It is not a probelm here in Tulsa, there are several places that still work with them

leawq2 09-21-2003 09:58 AM

Dave,

I can find a service that will split them. The problem is they are eaten up with rust. They are unsafe. That is why I prefer, if possible to find someone that would produce the wheel in a tubeless form since I need to replace the set anyway. I'm glad you are interested. It seems reasonable the more folks we can get on board, the better chance we have of getting someone to produce a batch for us. Thanks.

merkstang 09-29-2003 10:25 PM

Is this still alive???

I ve been LOOKING for some for a while!!!
I use my truck and really want to get a set of rims!!!
I fixed the engine and trans and now I need to do the outside!!
http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL149/...5/34768673.jpg
http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL149/...5/34768690.jpg

I use my truck for my lawn service (28 lawns) and to do my roof over the weekend. I had 10,960 total weight on it today and Im sure that there is over 12K now the truck Dry is 6750.
http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL149/...9/34768059.jpg
http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL149/...9/34768289.jpg
I paid 1300 for it and it Ran and Dumped just like today Its great!! and NO new SuperDuty payments and mine will be worth more when I fix it up!!

leawq2 09-30-2003 05:45 AM

Merkstang, yes it is still alive...barely, but still alive. You are #4. I have gotten the specs for the front of the truck, but still need to get the rear. Once I have those, I will be talking with some of the vendors. I would like to see a much larger response, but I will be trying to convince one to produce us some rims. I will keep you posted. Thanks for the response.

bobfl 10-01-2003 07:36 PM

I would also be interested in the wheels. I will need to replace the wheels on my 62 F350 sooner or later. I thought that Stockton was working on the wheels.

Bob W [FL]

leawq2 10-02-2003 05:54 AM

Stockton Wheel has looked into it, but when I last talked to them they would not commit to anything. Hopefully, we can get enough commitments for folks needing these wheels to get Stockton off the stump. At least that is my hope. With you on board, Bob, we now have Five sets. If any of you who have responded know of anyone else who has one of these old F350 Duallies, let them know what we are doing. The more we can get interested, the better our chance of swaying Stockton Wheel, or some other vendor to produce these rims. Thanks everyone.:)

leawq2 10-02-2003 08:12 AM

Guys I sent the following to Stockton Wheel this morning. I will post their reply as soon as I have it.

Gentlemen,

I recently purchase a '65 Ford F350 truck, when I went to have new tires put on it, the shop found the stock wheels on the truck unsafe to be fitted with new tires due to rust. Since that time I have been searching for these wheels/rims to no avail. I know your firm has looked into producing this wheel. It is a dually wheel 16” x 6” with a 6 on 7.25” bolt pattern. The original wheels were a two-part rims, but in my case (and in the case of the other four people I have found interested in a set of these wheels) I/we all would prefer tubeless rims to accommodate the tires available on the market today. Also, it is impossible to find a shop willing to work with the two part rims.

I am currently running a forum on the Ford Truck Enthusiasts web site looking for people interested in these rare wheels. As I stated I have a group of 5 (including myself) that have already came on board. The forum link is:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...624#post987624

I know that I am interested in a complete set of 7 (to include the spare). If the other four people interested only wanted 6, we are looking at 31 wheels now, and I plan to leave the forum open for a few more weeks.

I have been told that some folks are taking the 8 lug dually wheels on the market today, welding up the boltholes and having them re-drilled to match the 6-lug pattern. To me this is unsafe; however, it does tell me the blank wheel should be available. Just take the 8-lug wheels prior to punching the bolt pattern, and press in the 6 instead. How difficult can this be?

As I stated earlier, I know you are looking into producing the rims for this truck. What I don’t know is whether your are trying to produce a true original wheel, or just provide a wheel that will work (i.e., a tubeless wheel with a 6 to 7.25” bolt pattern)? Personally, I do not want an original two part rims, and I think the other folks interested in my group all feel the same way. For us, these are working trucks…not show trucks. I am more concerned with safety than originality.

What would it take to get your company to provide a rim to meet our needs? I would like to past this information on to the group. If I can come up with a concrete agreement, I am sure we can find more takers. Also, I am smart enough to know that what I am asking for is not an off the shelf wheel. Since these wheels are custom to our specification, I do realize that the wheels will be at least three times the off-the-shelf price. Approximately, what should we expect cost wise? I hope to hear from you soon, and I hope the news will be favorable. I would like to get my old truck running on a new set of shoes as soon as possible. I have a lot of work for it to do. Thank your for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
WesL

leawq2 10-02-2003 11:10 AM

To All,

After sending my email (shown above to Stockton Wheel), I got a reply from Frank Mauro. They had in stock a 17.5x5.25 tubeless wheel that would fit our trucks. At the time he had at least 8...I purchased 7. He says he tries to keep these in stock when he can get them. Granted, it is a little bigger that the standard / stock 16, but they will work and put my truck in a good set of shoes. If you are interested, I would give him a call. Just check out the Stockton Wheel website, under their contact page.

bobfl 10-02-2003 11:42 AM

Will these work for a Dually ? What were these for originally ?
If you don't mind what was the cost?

Bob W [FL]

leawq2 10-02-2003 12:53 PM

According to Frank, who by the way owns a couple of these trucks, they will fit, and he runs them on his F350 ('62). He didn't say what specifically they were for, but I have been told that some of the old military equipment had this strange wheel on them, and yes they are dually wheels. I didn't get the exact price, but as soon as I have it I will pass it along. At this point with my truck, price isn't as important as having the wheels...mine is growned until I can replace the wheels and tires for safety sake.

bobfl 10-04-2003 06:59 AM

What is the availibility of 17.5" tires? I looked at a couple od tire sites and they do not list 17.5" tires.