Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   3.0L V6 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum119/)
-   -   evaporative emission control system control valve (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/152825-evaporative-emission-control-system-control-valve.html)

rangersvt04 09-15-2003 05:36 PM

evaporative emission control system control valve

hi got a chek engine light on today and went to idot zone and they pulled this code P1443--Evaporative Emission Control System control valve. would some one translate that one in to english and ware is this thinger located at ? and how hard is it to replace? its a 69 ranger 3.0L (well thats y i posted it hear) with a 5-speed its got about 60500 on her and when i replaced the turn singal lever. i disconnected the battery termalis and then when fired it up no check engine light. but i still wanna replace that thingy just to be on the safe side. thanks for any help:-huh

Rockledge 09-15-2003 07:35 PM

The Evaporative Emission Control System monitors the fuel vapor flow between the engine intake manifold and the EVAP canister. The system failure occurs when a leak or blockage between the intake manifold, the EVAP canister purge valve and the EVAP canister is detected by the PCM.

Code P1443 Possible Causes:

- Pinched, blocked or plugged fuel vapor tubes/hoses (except between fuel tank and EVAP canister)

- Damaged EVAP canister

- Disconnected, cracked or cut fuel vapor tubes/hoses (except between fuel tank and EVAP canister)

- Damaged EVAP canister purge valve

Notes: Check for audible vacuum noise in the engine compartment or significant fuel odor in the engine compartment or near the EVAP canister.

On my '98 4x4, the cannister purge valve is located under the hood, mounted on the driver's side fender.

The EVAP cannister itself is located underneath the truck, in back, between the spare tire and the truck bed (have to remove the spare to get at it).

If it were me I would hold off on replacing parts...I'd drive around some more first, making sure that I don't overfill the gas tank or run it dry and making sure I replace the gas cap properly, etc. If the code returns, then its time to think repairs.

HTH

rangersvt04 09-21-2003 07:32 PM

ive drove it for a week and have noticed gas milage drop to about 12 city and 19-20 high way. how hard is it to replace thes thingers?

azxr 09-22-2003 06:47 PM

I had to replace the assembly on my 96 since it went bad. I couldn't pass emissions until I did. Here are the part numbers. It takes about 5 to 10 minutes tops. I got the 3.0L Assembly from my Ford dealer for a little over $80. I tried some auto part stores, but they couldn't find it. It may be different now.

8. If either the canister purge solenoid or the purge flow sensor has to be replaced, replace them as an assembly (hose, purge valve and flow sensor). Refer to Figure 2.

PART NUMBER PART NAME

F67Z-14289-CA Canister Purge Service Kit

F67Z-14289-DA Canister Purge Service Kit

F57Z-9C987-AB Canister Purge Solenoid/Flow Sensor
Assembly - 2.3L

F57Z-9C987-CA Canister Purge Solenoid/Flow Sensor
Assembly - 3.0L

F57Z-9C87-BA Canister Purge Solenoid/Flow Sensor
Assembly - 4.0L

Rockledge 09-23-2003 09:37 AM

Hi azxr, welcome to FTE!

And thanks for the info...:-X22

Roguespirit 10-09-2003 08:36 AM

Where can I find the Remove and replace info to change them out?

azxr 10-09-2003 09:34 AM

On my 96 Ranger it is located near the front driver's side. One hose hooks to a black canister (think that is what holds the evap emissions) and the other end connects to the intake manifold. There are two quick disconnect electrical connectors going to the sensor and solenoid. That is about it. I think it took the most time to route the hose to the intake manifold. About 10 to 15 minutes time.

http://azxr.com/evap.jpg

rangersvt04 10-31-2003 07:07 PM

yep thats what i t looks like. i have to take it up to the dealer to be scaned and find out exatly whats wrong down there. and its a dealer only part. napa dosent have neather does idiot zone.

96RangerGuyInMi 11-05-2003 11:59 AM

Hi all ,

Does this really lower your gas milage??? I`ve had the code all summer. And was told it was just going to be about $250-300 bucks for a Dealer to fix for it .

rangersvt04 <---Septembers posted

{Ive drove it for a week and have noticed gas milage drop to about 12 city and 19-20 high way. how hard is it to replace thes thingers?}

Just wanted to know winter is coming and thought I better get it fixed ....I did the lame thing and unhooked the battery .......the light came back on after 30 miles .Did that twice . The guys at the Zone pulled the code and I thought I would ask the guys here .

Thanks in advance Steve .

xavierarmadillo 11-28-2005 08:33 PM

I get an occasional gas smell. My ranger is a 2000 4 cyl and I was told to change the gas capp, that didn't help. I just wanna fix this fast. So are you saying to change al those parts? This has been going on for almost a year now for me.

bronocIInoob 02-02-2006 08:13 PM

a 69 with a check engine light? im sure you meant 89

projectSHO89 02-06-2006 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by bronocIInoob
a 69 with a check engine light? im sure you meant 89

..noob..

It's a 96 (or later). His typing fingers are probably dyslexic....

Lynch02 05-07-2006 09:48 AM

Part Numbers

I have a 97 3.0 4x4 5spd. I am also getting the 1443 code. I am going to order the part numbers shown in the previous post for a 3.0 but I was wondering if I need or should get both F67Z-14289-CA and F67Z-14289-DA. When I look these part numbers up they both come up as WIR ASY-D/PNL ENG GA. I just need to know if I need to get both of these or just one or the other (as well as F57Z-9C987-CA).

Thanks for the help

nocode 10-03-2007 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by azxr
If either the canister purge solenoid or the purge flow sensor has to be replaced, replace them as an assembly (hose, purge valve and flow sensor). Refer to Figure 2.

i just purchased these parts individually (didn't know it should be purchased as an assembly). Does the assembly come with the line that attaches the sensor to the intake manifold? On mine its a premolded plastic line covered w/rubber that attaches to one side of the sensor. I'll never get that off to replace the sensor. Any thoughts on what to do here?

Thanks.

fozzy19 10-16-2007 12:20 PM

Canister Purge System Fault

I saw this thread and am hoping that someone can help me that has looked at this thread. I am experiencing a similar problem with my 1995 F150 V8 5.0. The check engine light came on, I went to autozone and the code that came up was 565 and 111. The 565 code is supposed to be a Canister Purge System Fault, and 111 was a no fault.

I am wondering if I should replace the assembly as described in a earlier post by replacing the hose, purge valve and flow sensor? or If there is something else I should be looking at to fix this issue?

I have not been able to locate these items under the hood of my car so I am hoping someone can help me out with that as well.

Thanks.