Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   Is there a way to reset the check engine light ? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/149772-is-there-a-way-to-reset-the-check-engine-light.html)

zoti 09-05-2003 02:44 PM

Is there a way to reset the check engine light ?

It turned on last night and I want to reset it to make sure there is a problem. The truck is very well maintained and I suspect there isn't anything actually wrong with it.

It's a '96 B2300 with ~76K miles.

Also, What else can I check before I take it to be diagnosed at a service station ?

Thanks,
zoti

Donald Rohret 09-05-2003 02:54 PM

Most Auto Zone Parts stores have an OBD-II diagnostic detector and they can read the code and also reset the "Check Engine" light and usually do it free. Good Luck!

Ken00 09-05-2003 03:18 PM

You can disconnect the neg battery cable for 15 minutes also.

zoti 09-05-2003 03:19 PM

Thanks guys. That was fast.

I'll try the "disconnect battery" method first.

zoti

zoti 09-07-2003 03:48 AM

OK.

I have reseted the light ant it came back on after 24 hours.

Any info on what might be wrong is appriciated.

zoti

Mike W 09-07-2003 04:10 AM

I just bought a reader a Kragen auto today. 99% of CEL are due to some emissions related code. Mine was a EGR malfunction. :)

zoti 09-07-2003 04:12 AM

Mike,

How muach was it ? What's an EGR ?

PSKSAM2 09-07-2003 09:47 AM

Originally posted by zoti
OK.

I have reseted the light ant it came back on after 24 hours.

Any info on what might be wrong is appriciated.

zoti

Unfortunately, the battery disconnect method doesn't tell you any information about what the code was. If it comes on again, I would really suggest going to Autozone or another place that will read it and find out what it is.

Mine came on once after I changed the plugs and wires because I was a dummy and forgot to put the last wire on the last plug, that'll cause a misfire like nothing else. :D

EGR is short for Exhaust Gas Recirculating. The EGR valve, is a valve that controls the Exhaust Gas Recirculation.
http://www.misterfixit.com/egrvalve.htm

Mike W 09-07-2003 12:23 PM

It was on sale for $99, reg $150. Brand was Innova, model 3100.

Autozone won't read the codes in CA. They got sued for acting like a repair shop. :-X09

Ken00 09-07-2003 03:26 PM

Sometimes you get a one time error, if you don't get the CEL don't worry about it.

zoti 09-07-2003 04:47 PM

ok. What's a CEL ?

and as I said, I have reset it once and it came back.

Ken00 09-07-2003 06:16 PM

Check Engine Light.

Misread you post, you will have to have the codes pulled, some parts stores do it for free.

Donald Rohret 09-07-2003 06:17 PM

:) Regarding your "Check Engine" light problem, my personal opinion would be for you to take it to a reputable repair shop that would at least read the code for you and it just might point to the bad component. If it's an EGR code there are essentially three items that might be at fault that are connected with the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) system. That is the EGR valve itself, or the EVR (Electronic Vacuum Regulator) that controls the EGR valve, or the DPFE (Differential Pressure Feedback) transducer that feedsback the EGR flow rate to the PCM (Power Control Module). It might not be any of these. Having the code read just might point to one particular item, but at least it will be a start. But get that code read whatever you do and start from there. Good Luck!

Mike W 09-07-2003 07:08 PM

Do a Google search for EGR DPFE. There are a lot of good explanations out there that explain it in detail. Save money and don't start swapping out parts that are not bad. :)

zoti 09-07-2003 09:52 PM

I checked both O2 sensors. They showed 7.4 ohm each. The book says they should be 6 oh when the temperature is 67F. It was probably around 80F when I checked it and since both had the same resistance reading I suspect they are fine.

I'll take it to autozone tomorrow to read the codes.