Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   2004 6.0 diesel oil leak (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/149323-2004-6-0-diesel-oil-leak.html)

oric 09-04-2003 06:16 AM

2004 6.0 diesel oil leak

I bought a 2004 F350 w/ 6.0l diesel.I just have 96 miles on it now and found oil stains on my driveway.I looked from under the truck and it seemed to be dripping down on the right rear of the head cover.I took it rite back to the dealer.Now after a week and a half later(them bums)they are finally working on it.All I can get from them so far is that they are changing the gasket on the head cover!Now I am brand new to diesels and no very little about any type of motors as it is,but if oil is leaking whouldnt that be a valve cover gasket not a head cover?Any way Im hopeful to get it back today and soon as I know more I will post it..Thanks for any replys..signed a very sad 1st time truck owner.

Badger 09-04-2003 06:47 AM

2004 6.0 diesel oil leak

Did they give any reasons why it took 'em a week and a half to get started on it?

oric 09-04-2003 07:18 AM

2004 6.0 diesel oil leak

yes they didnt know why it was leaking so they wanted to order any parts they may be needed including head covers of some crap before they opened anything up.Thats ok with me but they got the parts in three days and just never got to it and I dont know why.By the way!they told me to keep the truck and drive it till the parts come in ,I said yeah rite and leak oil all over the bottom of a brand new truck and stain my driveway some more >no way then if anything else happens the void my warrenty(I would think)

oric 09-04-2003 12:42 PM

2004 6.0 diesel oil leak

Ok I have an update.I called my dealer and they say it is a head gasket.They also said this is the forth truck that came in for the same problem and ford knows about it.The right side only head gasket leaks so they have a updated part for it.Now that it is installed they have to button it all up!so I probably wont get it back tomorrow either.Here we go week two.He told me that they lift the body off the chassie to do this work.Boy am I depressed all weekend again w/out my new toy.and I bet I dont get it on monday either cause they dont work weekends.

mbnv992 09-04-2003 09:28 PM

2004 6.0 diesel oil leak

Well, best of luck on your truck :( I know it can be a pain waiting for something. (thinking a new truck won't have all those problems) Just keep in mind that the 6.0L is "new" to the Ford truck's (although the engine itself has been in testing for 5 years). Thinking by the 2004 engines, all the bugs should've been worked out. I got the 2003 year model 3 weeks ago, so far, she has almost 2,500 miles on her, and not one leak yet. (keeping my fingers crossed. :)
Good luck, and keep us informed.
(and welcome to the FTE :) )

capt caper 09-04-2003 09:28 PM

2004 6.0 diesel oil leak

Originally posted by oric
Ok I have an update.I called my dealer and they say it is a head gasket.They also said this is the forth truck that came in for the same problem and ford knows about it.The right side only head gasket leaks so they have a updated part for it.Now that it is installed they have to button it all up!so I probably wont get it back tomorrow either.Here we go week two.He told me that they lift the body off the chassie to do this work.Boy am I depressed all weekend again w/out my new toy.and I bet I dont get it on monday either cause they dont work weekends.
Boy...that sounds exactly like the gasser trouble they ha d,on the Tritons'. Pass side leaked oil out the head gasket, fix was to replace head, and gasket via lifting chassis up.

oric 09-05-2003 05:34 PM

2004 6.0 diesel oil leak

Ok another update on my oil leak problem.Service manager called today to tell me my truck is done.It was not the gasket like someone there originally told me.They found a 1/4" x 3/4" divet in the cylinder head.The guy said he doesnt know how but it looks like it was casted that way from factory,so anyway its all buttoned up and everyting is dry and checks out well.They want to hold till monday so they cant put some miles on it before giving it back to me and take it to be detailed.I guess its a good idea for them to do this just to make sure everything is ok.Ill wait till monday,wish me luck!

oric 09-08-2003 06:02 PM

2004 6.0 diesel oil leak

Ok I got my truck back today,everything seems fine.They wrote the repair ticket up as faulty casting on the ER cylinder head they replaced everythink on that side of the motor,cylinder head w/valves and some think that looks like an extension collar that matchs up w/the cylinder head.

capt caper 09-08-2003 06:27 PM

2004 6.0 diesel oil leak

Ok I got my truck back today,everything seems fine.They wrote the repair ticket up as faulty casting on the ER cylinder head they replaced everythink on that side of the motor,cylinder head w/valves and some think that looks like an extension collar that matchs up w/the cylinder head.
Can the extennsion collar be the intake maniford crossover? They're going to eliminate it soon so it's easier to work on.

jim

oric 09-09-2003 03:02 AM

2004 6.0 diesel oil leak

sorry I cant answer that,I dont know much about engines.

capt caper 09-09-2003 06:14 AM

2004 6.0 diesel oil leak

sorry I cant answer that,I dont know much about engines.
They'res pics here of the manifold before and after

.http://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/...atsnew2004.pdf

oric 09-09-2003 09:12 AM

2004 6.0 diesel oil leak

thanks for the link,I had no time to really look at it to well,but becides the cylinder head the other part the changed according to what this site showed me is a rocker carrier sound package