Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   This made for some scary driving! (pic) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1476323-this-made-for-some-scary-driving-pic.html)

Jarkill 02-16-2017 01:30 PM

This made for some scary driving! (pic)

axle pivot bracket came apart and started making some horrible noises!
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...19602f510d.jpg

Jarkill 02-16-2017 01:31 PM

One of the noises it made sounded like my fly wheel hitting metal! I hope it's related otherwise i have more problems than just this...

Jarkill 02-16-2017 03:50 PM

Figured out the noise.....It's my blown transfer case going in and out of lock up

chillman88 02-16-2017 07:29 PM

Ouch! That could have ended badly! Glad you're ok!

Charmalu 02-16-2017 08:57 PM

So are you saying the Axle Pivot Bracket was not making noise?
That is scary looking. There is a fair amount of stress on that bracket holding the weight of the axle etc... looks like the inner bolt was holding the weight after the bracket hole tore. Can see some rust around the bolt and streaks of rust. This on your 91?

Wonder if that bracket can still be bought new? And what years used it? Maybe gassers and diesels must have used it?
This weekend PNP is having a 50% off sale. :D

I have to take in my 86 to have the Pivot Bushings replaced. Rubber is about totally gone on one axle. W/O the rubber for a cushion, could put extra vibration on the metal causing it to crack/break?

Good you saw the failing bracket.

Charlie

Ford_Six 02-16-2017 09:14 PM

Sounds like an ideal excuse for an SAS.

Jarkill 02-16-2017 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Charmalu (Post 16957958)
So are you saying the Axle Pivot Bracket was not making noise?
That is scary looking. There is a fair amount of stress on that bracket holding the weight of the axle etc... looks like the inner bolt was holding the weight after the bracket hole tore. Can see some rust around the bolt and streaks of rust. This on your 91?

Wonder if that bracket can still be bought new? And what years used it? Maybe gassers and diesels must have used it?
This weekend PNP is having a 50% off sale. :D

I have to take in my 86 to have the Pivot Bushings replaced. Rubber is about totally gone on one axle. W/O the rubber for a cushion, could put extra vibration on the metal causing it to crack/break?

Good you saw the failing bracket.

Charlie

It was making some noise and for the life of me, I couldn't find where it was coming from. I really thought I looked everywhere! I replaced every bushing (except the pivot bushings) and the leaf springs but it remained noisy. Then after a week er two it went silent. Then today on my way to work my failing transfer case started locking up an making terrible sounds (I didn't know it was the T case at the time) so I parked and started crawling around and discovered this mess! One of the bolts to the engine cross member was gone and looks like it had been gone for......years! The rest were there but the stress wore through the holes in the bracket and broke. It is only holding on with two bolts. You can get them new from oepartstore.com but they ain't cheap. I'm just glad it held together this long!

Jarkill 02-16-2017 11:47 PM

Charlie[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by Ford_Six (Post 16958014)
Sounds like an ideal excuse for an SAS.

Don't need an excuse! I hate TTB's! I've been looking for a Dana 60 since I bought this old girl! Hard to find used in the PNW, and new ones are $$$$. One of these days I'll find my F350 parts truck and make it happen.

eraser5 02-17-2017 08:30 AM

Lucky for me mine tore out at zero mph in a parking lot. It still screwed up my right hub/spring/axel alignment. I loosened all the adjustments after replacing the pivot bracket. No dice. Still pulls a bit to the right. Sucks.

Jarkill 02-17-2017 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by eraser5 (Post 16958812)
Lucky for me mine tore out at zero mph in a parking lot. It still screwed up my right hub/spring/axel alignment. I loosened all the adjustments after replacing the pivot bracket. No dice. Still pulls a bit to the right. Sucks.

you destroyed a bracket too? Crazy. I thought this was a freak occurance because mine was missing a bolt. I had been having tire wear issues on that side as well, even after ball joints were replaced. Now I know why

The_Josh_Bear 02-17-2017 09:06 AM

Holy crap I am having passenger tire wear issues and steering pulls to the right ....alignment good. Replaced ball joints. Still same thing! Maybe I'd better start looking under my pickup too.

Glad you found the problem the easy way and not after a trip into the ditch!
Hopefully you have a second vehicle while the pickup is down.

For the bracket I bet you could find someone parting out a stock D50 truck and get it that way for cheap.

Jarkill 02-18-2017 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by The_Josh_Bear (Post 16958924)
Holy crap I am having passenger tire wear issues and steering pulls to the right ....alignment good. Replaced ball joints. Still same thing! Maybe I'd better start looking under my pickup too.

Glad you found the problem the easy way and not after a trip into the ditch!
Hopefully you have a second vehicle while the pickup is down.

For the bracket I bet you could find someone parting out a stock D50 truck and get it that way for cheap.

For sure! I still got my trusty 92, and my wife's jeep.
If you got mystery tire wear, and your ball joints, Pittman arm bushings and springs are all good, I would definitely suggest taking a good hard look at the pivot bushings and brackets haha!
junk yard wanted $60 for it if I pull it. Or, I can order a new one for $53+shipping. I ordered a new one.

Charmalu 02-18-2017 09:34 AM

Iam taking mine in next Wed to have the Pivot Bushings, Radius Arm Bushings etc... replaced. been going to replace these for the past 46K miles.

I`ll have them check those Brackets real close while they are in there.
I haven`t seen anything so far that looks scary except for the bad Pivot Bushings, especially the right side.
Wonder if that is what gives me the feel of a wheel with loose lug nuts when making a tight U-Turn to the left? Feels like the wheel wobbles till I straighten out.

You have a link to the new brackets you ordered?

Charlie

Jarkill 02-19-2017 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Charmalu (Post 16961654)
Iam taking mine in next Wed to have the Pivot Bushings, Radius Arm Bushings etc... replaced. been going to replace these for the past 46K miles.

I`ll have them check those Brackets real close while they are in there.
I haven`t seen anything so far that looks scary except for the bad Pivot Bushings, especially the right side.
Wonder if that is what gives me the feel of a wheel with loose lug nuts when making a tight U-Turn to the left? Feels like the wheel wobbles till I straighten out.

You have a link to the new brackets you ordered?

Charlie

see if this link works...this where I ordered it. Apparently the left side is no longer in production.
http://www.oepartsstore.com/a/Ford_1991_F
the category is "suspension" you'll see a few exploded diagrams to choose from. Just look for the one with leef springs

Charmalu 02-20-2017 01:09 AM

Thanks for the link.

Interesting, I used my VIN# on their site and they didn`t recognize it. :-huh
Copied it as the sticker on the door showed.

Poked around and finally found my 86 2wd components, but for the 2wd they don`t show the bracket. have it for 4wd though.
Wonder if it is a high failure rate part why it isn`t listed? They have radius arms, axles etc...

Charlie