Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   Diesel or Gas (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1449530-diesel-or-gas.html)

BowlerGT 08-20-2016 09:17 PM

Diesel or Gas

So looking for advice from you guys. Im going to trade in my pathetic 2015 1500 silerado that can tow only 6200 lbs because wife and I are going to buy a camper thats about 8000. Anyways Im looking at a 08-10 f250/f350 with a diesel or a 11+ with the gas motor. This truck will also be my daily so Im wondering which would be better on gas mileage. Its a mixture of 50/50 highway and city. I would get a programmer and some bolt ons on the diesel as well as the gas, which normally will get better mileage? Thanks

m-chan68 08-20-2016 09:31 PM

As a tech working for a Ford dealer since 2000, stay FAR away from the 2008 to 2010 6.4L diesel. They are a "ticking time bomb on wheels". If fuel consumption is a concern to you, than it's questionable whether or not a 3/4 ton pickup is within your budget. That said, with a 6.4L diesel, you will definitely be seeing single digit fuel consumption while towing with it. But the issues the 6.4L along with the astronomical costs for repair when these issues occur is definitely something you want to avoid. A 2011 and up 6.2L equipped truck will more than meet your needs adequately for your intended use. The cost of maintenance or repairs will also be substantially less than that of the 6.4L.

gustrider4 08-20-2016 10:49 PM

Get a 6.2 gas. you will have a newer more reliable pick up truck then the 6.4 diesel like mentioned. Litterally the worst engine designed. Even if you "bulletproof" them they still arent reliable. I own 2015 F350 with a 6.2 and have gotten great results. I tow my 8,000lb camper with it as well. I usually get 8mpg untuned, and 9.5mpg tuned. It does run high in the rpms at times and doesnt like to lock into 6th for a long time towing heavy either. Empty I have seen 15mpg tuned up. I have a Livewire ts from 5star tuning and have the economy, performance, and tow tune. economy gets me 15mpg mostly hwy, performance gives the truck alot more hp, and tq, as well a throttle response. I highly recommend the gas motor. Any questions and ill help ya out. Good luck

seemoremud 08-21-2016 05:48 AM

My '16 6.2 can get 16 mpg on the highway if I stay around 70, thats with 3.73s and stock 245s on 17s.

Had a 6.4 company truck about a year ago, it was a giant turd, about 11-12 mpg with just a tool box in the bed, stayed in the shop more than it did on the job. It won't take much research to find the reputations between those two engines are night and day difference

Spamfritter 08-21-2016 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by BowlerGT (Post 16512636)
So looking for advice from you guys. Im going to trade in my pathetic 2015 1500 silerado that can tow only 6200 lbs because wife and I are going to buy a camper thats about 8000. Anyways Im looking at a 08-10 f250/f350 with a diesel or a 11+ with the gas motor. This truck will also be my daily so Im wondering which would be better on gas mileage. Its a mixture of 50/50 highway and city. I would get a programmer and some bolt ons on the diesel as well as the gas, which normally will get better mileage? Thanks

It's a lot nicer towing with a diesel and they can get better mileage than a gasoline engine in some scenarios. Unfortunately, the maintenance on any diesel is expensive. I will go against the grain somewhat and say that a 6.0L or 6.4L diesel isn't as bad as they are made out to be. However, I wouldn't buy a used 6.4L diesel truck because I don't know if the previous owner kept up on the maintenance or put some retarded racing tune on it and wore out the motor. Buying a used 6.4L truck is just too much of a crap shoot as parts / repairs for them are prohibitively expensive.

RainDesert 08-21-2016 01:04 PM

6.2 or 6.4.... Not even close. 6.2 all the way.

BowlerGT 08-21-2016 01:21 PM

Thanks for the advise on the 6.4 I work in parts at a Lincoln dealer so its nice I have access to factory parts at a discount. Where Im at the cost of gas and diesel is within $.05 of each other. My silverado averages 16-18 mpg so if I can get near that Id be happy. Guess Ill start looking for a 11+ with the 6.7 or at least the gas motor. I just know I wont go with the 6.0 or a 5.4

Pocketlint 08-21-2016 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by gustrider4 (Post 16512834)
Get a 6.2 gas. you will have a newer more reliable pick up truck then the 6.4 diesel like mentioned. Litterally the worst engine designed. Even if you "bulletproof" them they still arent reliable. I own 2015 F350 with a 6.2 and have gotten great results. I tow my 8,000lb camper with it as well. I usually get 8mpg untuned, and 9.5mpg tuned. It does run high in the rpms at times and doesnt like to lock into 6th for a long time towing heavy either. Empty I have seen 15mpg tuned up. I have a Livewire ts from 5star tuning and have the economy, performance, and tow tune. economy gets me 15mpg mostly hwy, performance gives the truck alot more hp, and tq, as well a throttle response. I highly recommend the gas motor. Any questions and ill help ya out. Good luck

I am going to second the buy a 6.2 Gas F250 F350 honestly for what your going to be using it for the 6.2 will do just fine. If you were towing a lot heavier or making lots and lots of long trips, I would say a diesel, but your not going to be doing that it would seem so a 6.2 will do fine, and the 6.2 has a good amount of power behind it

The other advantage to a 6.2 is your maintenance costs for oil and fuel filter changes will be lower and your repair costs versus diesel should also be lower.

Dont get me wrong the 6.7''s are great trucks, If you were towing heavier, I would say grab a 6.7 but with a diesel your oil and filter changes are more than a 6.2 would be and your repair costs would be higher engine and emissions wise I would believe.

As for a 6.4 they can be good engines if they are deleted and studded but the parts are expensive as are the repair costs ( you have to remember that Navistar is involved parts wise for the 6.0 and 6.4 to an extent ) Honestly if you really needed a diesel, I would move up to a 6.7, but really you ought to be fine with a 6.2

What ever chose you make just do your homework an get maintenance records and the vin and go to ford an get an oasis report and a carfax done and crawl all over and under the trucks you look at

You will have to update us when you get your new to you ride and of course pics or it didnt happen :-X22

tincan1 08-21-2016 01:26 PM

I'd go with the 6.2. I've gotten 15 bone stock cruising hwy. I have a 2012 CC 4x4 with the 3.73 gears. With our 27 ft trailer I've gotten almost 10 overall on our maiden voyage to Lake Tahoe. GO GAS!

fishbones182 08-21-2016 01:37 PM

Buy a new 6.2 you'll love it mine does a fine job towing what ever I hook to it. I'm an old diesel 7.3 guy no way would I touch a new diesel truck. Especially after owning and working my 6.2

BowlerGT 08-21-2016 02:03 PM

Its nice I can run an Oasis report at work anytime

don123 08-21-2016 03:03 PM

Like others have said. Get the 6.2 gasser. I get 16.5mpg on the highway with the 3.73 gears. I'm averaging 14.4mpg combined highway/city for the summer hauling about 800 to 1000lbs of tools. No problems with 21k miles.

Spamfritter 08-21-2016 03:40 PM

Diesel owners fall into two categories. There are the people who need it, and those who want it. There are times where the torque offered by the diesel is truly worth it. It all depends on what you are doing with the truck. The maintenance costs just hit your wallet a lot harder with the diesel as would any repairs outside of warranty. The diesel will also never save you enough on fuel economy to justify the price increase of the truck, or its maintenance. The diesel option in the newer trucks is an $8,640 price increase on the 2011+ trucks. That price increase does filter down to the used market. If you want a diesel and can afford all that goes with it, there is nothing wrong with getting one even if your needs don't necessarily justify it.

BowlerGT 08-21-2016 03:59 PM

Guess I should of specified we plan on taking the camper out every weekend or so throughout the spring-fall. We live in Ohio and plan on driving up to 3-4 hours away which means driving through the mountains in SE ohio into west virginia and sometimes down to Tennessee. Would a gas engine still work with where Id be towing or will the extra torque of the diesel help? How do you guys do with the open diffs in these trucks since they only have the electronic locking diff in 4x4?

xr7gt390 08-21-2016 04:03 PM

An F150 would tow that weight just fine & get you the gas mileage you are looking for. If you want an F250 the gasser will work well for you. The F250 at best will get you around 16 mpgs most likely less. I'm happy when I get 14 commuting.