Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum48/)
-   -   Dead cylinder horrible miss p0308, p0174 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1441602-dead-cylinder-horrible-miss-p0308-p0174.html)

jiujitsustudent 06-26-2016 02:52 PM

Dead cylinder horrible miss p0308, p0174

I have fixed/checked all usual culprits. I originally found the spark plug walked it's way out of the cylinder. I replaced plug, cop, and the injector. I have checked the signal with noid light and the current of signal which is .05-.09 amps, same as the other injector signal wires. I am getting spark as well. I checked compression and it is 150 about the same as the other cylinders on that side. I have cats hollowed out. When I start the truck it runs a little rough, and I can feel hear the misfire. If I give it has driving it backfires through the exhaust. It also runs like crap if I give it has and the cel flashes and truck won't go. I Have to he very gentle on the gas and it won't do that. I don't know what to check next. The motor was replaced in August of 2015 with a Used engine under the warrantee from thrifty auto sales. Of course this happened shortly after the warrantee expired in February. I wish I had some kind of legal recourse because I'm starting to think I have a mechanical issue with a valve or the cam on that cylinder. What test can I do without having to pull the valve cover or what should I look for if I have to pull the VC??? Please help it's my only vehicle and I cant use my company truck for personal use please someone help asap!! Also the plug on #8 gets a carbon soot on the electrode after running a short while.

Read more at: http://www.obd-codes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=14534&p=51416#p51416
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

Talltruck 06-28-2016 08:56 AM

Not sure you want to hear this answer. If the cats are hollowed out did you also do a tune to the ECM to compensate for the changes in exhaust flow? The stock ECM tune is calibrated to work with the backpressure the cats create, and when you change that you're leaning the system out. If you run it lean long enough the cylinder temps get hot enough to burn valves.

That being said if you've run a compression test correctly the 150 psi sounds like the rings and valves are sealing. The codes indicate the cylinder is misfiring, so if you've replaced the plug then how is the coil? One of your fault codes is for a cylinder 8 misfire, you can swap the coil to another cylinder and see if the fault moves to that cylinder, that will help isolate the problem.

The other fault code is a lean condition, that's probably a combination of the hollowed out cats and also could be caused by either vacuum or exhaust leaks. Vacuum leaks let unmetered air into the system, and exhaust leaks let air into the exhaust system which confuse the O2 sensors' ability to adjust the air/fuel ratios.

jiujitsustudent 06-29-2016 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Talltruck (Post 16387598)
Not sure you want to hear this answer. If the cats are hollowed out did you also do a tune to the ECM to compensate for the changes in exhaust flow? The stock ECM tune is calibrated to work with the backpressure the cats create, and when you change that you're leaning the system out. If you run it lean long enough the cylinder temps get hot enough to burn valves.

That being said if you've run a compression test correctly the 150 psi sounds like the rings and valves are sealing. The codes indicate the cylinder is misfiring, so if you've replaced the plug then how is the coil? One of your fault codes is for a cylinder 8 misfire, you can swap the coil to another cylinder and see if the fault moves to that cylinder, that will help isolate the problem.

The other fault code is a lean condition, that's probably a combination of the hollowed out cats and also could be caused by either vacuum or exhaust leaks. Vacuum leaks let unmetered air into the system, and exhaust leaks let air into the exhaust system which confuse the O2 sensors' ability to adjust the air/fuel ratios.

I fixed the exhaust leak and got rid of the 174. So this is what I have now, and it's running the same. P0308, p0300, p0358,
Now I have swapped the coils and get same codes. Here is the freeze frame from the p0308 code can anybody decipher this ??
Fuel sys 1 CL
Fuel sys 2 NA
calc load% 87.1
ECT f 194
STFT B1% 11.7
LTFT B1% 6.3
STUDY B2% 0.0
LEFT B2% -2.3
RPM 1185
Veh speed 13
Spark adv. 31.5
IAT 136
MAF lb/min 2.8
TPS% 28.2
O2A B1S1(v) .085
STFT B1S1% 10.9
O2A B1S2(v) .30
STUDY B1S2% 99.2
O2A B2S1(v) .275
STUDY B2S1% 0.0
O2A B2S2(v) .665
STUDY B2S2% 99.2
FP/can (psi) 40.1
Command EVAP% 44.7
EVAP_vp. -0.656
Baro 24.5
Cat te 11. 919
Cat te 21 919
ECU(v) 13.583
Load value% 32.5
EQ Ratio .999
Rel tps% 9.0
Ambient 122
TPS b% 33.7
ACC pedal D 28.2
" " E 36.5
" " F 25.9
Command TAC%14.5

jiujitsustudent 06-29-2016 06:41 PM

Oh. By the way I have another computer I was wonseri g of I can just plug it in or if I have to get it flashes? Its off the same engine from the same year F350 tho Not 250. Wonder if I should try that. And it's weird now I'm getting 358. I will put a new motocraft COP on tonight. Does anyone see an answer in the scanner freeze frame??

Talltruck 06-30-2016 09:42 AM

Were these pulled with the vehicle idling and in park? It shows the TPS at 28% and vehicle speed at 13MPH. If you were at a stop this is a problem.

In any event let's focus on the misfire code - if you moved the coil and put another in it's place and you still have that cylinder misfiring then the problem is either a bad plug or an electrical issue. I would quit jumping around and changing other things and focus on this one problem, so if it runs with the present ECM runs the vehicle and communicates with the scanner then it's probably OK. Even though you replaced the plug pull it back out and see if you cracked the porcelain or closed the gap. Maybe try a different plug? Then take a look at the connection to the coil; the ends get brittle and don't connect securely, the P0358 relates to a circuit problem so look at your wiring, the connection is frequently the culprit.

jiujitsustudent 07-01-2016 06:05 PM

No I was driving when I pulled
The codes. I did pull the plug and it's fine just carboned up from the misfire. Codes 358 and 308. I'm going to but another new plug and see if it helps. I did find a few broken clips but they are on the other bank but I'm changing them regardless. the only thing I can do now is pull the harness out and go thru it. They did have the maf wired wrong had 2 wires crossed which I fixed. I need to drive the truck to Cali for work next week so I have to find the issue asap. If I take the truck somewhere who has an oscilloscope would it be easier tI pinpoint the problem? I've seen people with the same code end up with a plethora of fixes

Talltruck 07-02-2016 07:38 AM

The scope will tell you if it's firing or not, but usually a scope is used for something like this to compare the relative flow of voltage in one circuit to another. I would focus on the cylinder you know you have a problem with. If you pull the coil out and put a test plug on the coil does it fire when you have the engine running? This approach will send you one way or another; if it's firing the plug is probably the issue. No fire, try a different coil. Still no fire, start tracing back into the harness.

I've found a plug to be bad when I couldn't believe it could possibly be the problem because I had just replaced them not long ago. Probably the worst example was finding one where the center electrode was loose - it was touching the ground electrode and would slide back and forth on a plug that was about 10 thousand miles old.

jiujitsustudent 08-03-2016 01:28 PM

I found the freaking problem. The mount for rocker arm/valve guide etc broke off..yes, the mount which is part of the cast aluminum head broke. The rocker arm and everything related to the exhaust valve on that cylinder was broke off and just riding around in the valve cover. I found the exhaust valve Wasn't opening and took VC off and found all this just sitting there. More metal wasn't found it was in the bottom of the oil pan. Im stuck because this is the second engine, which of course is,3 months out of warrantee. I don't know what to do im still on the hook for 17 more payments and can't afford the price of another engine swap. It still runs and drives but don't know for how long. If anyone knows where I can get help, thrifty auto here in Gilbert az sold me the truck and they aren't going to fix it again.*******s need to be boycotted and everyone needs to know not to buy from them. They just put bandaids on the problem until it was out of warrantee! !

wtroger 08-22-2016 09:47 PM

Not sure what you are saying is broke. These don't have rocker arm per se. That have lash adjusters and cam followers. Not all that hard to change. Buy one and change it. Here's a video it is for doc but they are similar.