Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Nite, Nascar & Other Limited Edition Ford Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum178/)
-   -   '92 F-150 Nite Edition HP rating? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/14365-92-f-150-nite-edition-hp-rating.html)

Taz79 01-15-2002 10:09 PM

'92 F-150 Nite Edition HP rating?

I was curious as to what the HP rating was for a '92 F-150, 4x4, auto, 302, Nite Edition? It's my friends truck and he bought it from the dealer with 73,000mi on it. It seems to have a lot of power and we think it's been modified, but there isn't any performance parts on it that we can see. Another friend of ours has a '90 fullsize Bronco 302, 5 speed, 4x4, and it doesn't have anywhere near the power that the Nite does. I test drove a '94 Flareside 302 5 speed 4x4 today, and it seems to be as gutless as my friends Bronco.
Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Taz

'79 F-150 Ranger, 2wd, LB, poilce 302, stock headers, 3 speed manual on the floor, Hurst shifter, fully tinted, and flamed out.
'93 ZJ, Laredo, NP249, 5.2L, black, Anthony's 2"BB, OME SD40, K&N, relocated IAT, etc..etc..

madman666 01-15-2002 11:14 PM

195HP
270FTLBS of torque

Did you check to se it has a computer chip?
No duel exhaust?
Does it have the mass air conversion?
It could just be that he got a good one, and also the low miles don’t hurt.

Taz79 01-16-2002 08:51 AM

>195HP
>270FTLBS of torque
>
>Did you check to se it has a computer chip?
>No duel exhaust?
>Does it have the mass air conversion?
>It could just be that he got a good one, and also the low
>miles don’t hurt.

I'm assuming the performance computer chip plugs into the PCM, so where we find the computer on his truck? (I'm not too familiar with newer computer controlled Fords, just old ones)

We put true duals on it last summer, but even with full exhaust it still hauled #####.

What's a mass air conversion? (I feel like should know this one already)

Thanks,

Taz

'79 F-150 Ranger, 2wd, LB, poilce 302, stock headers, 3 speed manual on the floor, Hurst shifter, fully tinted, and flamed out.
'93 ZJ, Laredo, NP249, 5.2L, black, Anthony's 2"BB, OME SD40, K&N, relocated IAT, etc..etc..

madman666 01-16-2002 02:18 PM

The computer is located behind the drivers side kick panel, you gotta remove the panel then you can get at it, if a someone did put a chip in the computer, they should have put a sticker on the computer saying there is a chip in it.
You have to remove a little plastic cover on the computer, and in side is were the chip would be, if there is no chip then it doesn’t have one, also there should be some grease on the terminal if there is not then someone once installed a chip.

Mass air conversion is a conversion to mass air hmmmmm.....
Since his truck is a 92-model year he does not have mass air, 94 was about the first year they put them in trucks. His truck has something called speed density, where it uses a map sensor to sense the air coming in to the engine.
When you do upgrades to the SD it doesn’t adjust to the upgrades, and can cause bad gas mileage or make it feel sluggish.
The reason you convert to mass air is if you do some upgrades like, cam, heads or port and polish, K&N air filter.
Mass air can sense the air coming in to the engine and adjusts the fuel to the air, and therefore makes your engine run better.
The sensor is right after air box and before the Throttle body it has wires going to it and its about 2 1/2 inches wide, you’ll see it if its there.

The person who owned the truck before your friend may have put a more aggressive cam or ported the heads, there is almost no way of telling though.:-X22
Anything else?

Taz79 01-16-2002 05:39 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 16-Jan-02 AT 06:39 PM (EST)]Thanks for the info. That should be all the info we need to see if it has been modified. BTW I like your e-mail address.

Taz

MustangGT221 01-23-2002 04:49 PM

mcdev 01-24-2002 04:32 AM

I have a '91 NIte with the 5.8 in it, and let me tell you, it hauls balls. Compared to my uncle's truck (same year, engine, just not Nite) mine seems to have a larger exhust pipe, like something a "Sport" model would have. Since I got it I added a K&N FIPK and it is even quicker now.