Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Rusty Brake Lines (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/14151-rusty-brake-lines.html)

rocktestr 08-22-2000 09:56 PM

Rusty Brake Lines

TallPaul 12-11-2001 11:22 AM

Rusty Brake Lines

I blew a brake line last year because of rust. Now I look and see some other rusty brake lines. Is there a way to determine if they are sound or should they be simply replaced. The rusty one is hard to inspect as it has a spring-like thing around it that runs a couple feet (what for I don't know?). Also, if they are not too bad, maybe I can hose them with POR-15 or something to stop it getting worse.l BTW this is a 1995 truck and my 84 didnt blow a line from rust until just this year. The '84 is not mine anymore, but belongs to my boss, so I hear all the stories.

madman666 12-11-2001 06:40 PM

Rusty Brake Lines

I wouldn’t go out and buy some POR-15 for just the brake lines, but if you have some lying around go for it.
I would just get new brake lines and be done with it. You don’t want to get stuck on the road. Right?

Ryan50hrl 12-11-2001 10:03 PM

Rusty Brake Lines

The sping looking things around your brake lines are actually protective coils.....they protect your brake lines from road debris, rocks and other flying junk. its not a bad idea to replace your brake lines with ones that have the coil on it. there are companys that make brakelines already bent properly. Try www.classictube.com

TallPaul 12-12-2001 06:36 AM

Rusty Brake Lines

I am not so concerned with being stuck on the road as being smashed into the car in front of me. When the rear line blew, there was little if any brake. I always thought there were two separate systems, but these new master cylinders are single reservoir and when one line goes, all the fluid goes. If it blows in a panic stop, that will be the end of one fine truck. Better get new lines.

As for the coil around the brake line, while it may protect it, somehow I suspect it held enough dirt to retain moisture and cause the rusting. Why don't they make brake lines out of stainless steel so they don't rust? Or copper?

totustuus 12-12-2001 10:58 AM

Rusty Brake Lines

I just went through the same thing with my 88 F-250. I'll be candid here. Brake lines are safety equipment. You're talking about your life here so don't mess around. Take the time to replace all of your steel lines. Since you've already identified a bad line, assume the others are not far behind. It's not a good thing wondering whether your line is gonna blow out when you really need those brakes.

Just my .02 worth.

jakegypsum 12-12-2001 09:03 PM

Rusty Brake Lines

I am not positive but I do know that my heavier trucks do have a divider partition in the middle of the master cylinder resevoir. It may not be noticable because of the design of the resevoir but I believe that there may be a devided section in the lower portion. Any input? Jake.

taurus 12-12-2001 09:16 PM

Rusty Brake Lines

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 12-Dec-01 AT 10:18 PM (EST)]hey guys, I just want to say that those coils around the brake line are actually meant to cool the lines and the brake fluid. They are not really designed to protect the lines against debris and rust. I am a mechanic and I can't understand why manufacturers don't use wire loom like what you see covering elctrical wires around brake lines. I think it is an amazing idea. It makes sense to me. I will do it when I do the brake lines on my truck. thanks for letting me give my 2 cents.

Rob

TallPaul 12-13-2001 06:15 AM

Rusty Brake Lines

I should think that one could get stainless steel lines on the aftermarket. Manufacturers are using stainless steel exhaust systems, but I'd rather they put the money into better brake lines and let the exhaust rot out.

billygot3 02-09-2002 07:07 PM

Rusty Brake Lines

Got a 95 f-150 eddie bauer extended cab 4x4.Had the front brake line blow off at the swage.The piece of rubber hose around the swage had held moisture and rusted the crimped part of the fitting away.Not a good feeling as the hoses had been checked for cracking just a few months earlier when brake pads were replaced.Looks like a ideal application for stainless to me.Better check the front ones too.:-hair

TallPaul 02-11-2002 11:06 AM

Rusty Brake Lines

My mechanic checked it all out and said they are OK. Still, they look iffy to me, but I'll have them checked every year--I guess. I'd hate to think the cost of replacing all the lines.

INLINE SIX POWER!Oo.
300 Cubic Inches of Low RPM Truck Torque! And twin-I-beams too!