Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   7.3L died on side of road... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1373688-7-3l-died-on-side-of-road.html)

twom7 04-14-2015 05:13 PM

7.3L died on side of road...

My 2002 F250 7.3L died on side of road yesterday, so I had a position cam sensor in the truck and I changed it out and it still would not start. I pull it into a church and I go back this morning and I change out the fuel filter and it starts after the engine is cold all night. I drive it 15 miles towards my house and it dies again three times before I can get it home. It seems to die after it has warmed up. It also dies because the engine fails to remain at idle. I know others have most likely had this problem before. Is there some kind of an idle switch that I need to check?? The RPM gauge drops down and the regains or jumps back up?? Any pointers on what to check are much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Pitcrw6 04-14-2015 05:45 PM

Did you ck your oil level? What kind of cps did you put in, OEM or aftermarket? Whats your fuel level at? Could be the solenoid on the IPR but before we go that far ck your oil. Did you get a eng light?

Pikachu 04-14-2015 05:45 PM

That sounds to me like an IPR (injection pressure regulator) problem. Check to make sure the nut spacer and solenoid are in place and secure. If they are, and it cuts out again when hot, you can try pouring cold water over the solenoid. If it goes back to running ok, the solenoid is probably on its way out. Unfortunately, the solenoid isn't available separately, so if that turns out to be the problem you'll need to buy an IPR.

twom7 04-14-2015 09:18 PM

The check engine light did come on. The oil level is almost full on the dipstick. The CPS is an OEM that I got took off another ford 7.3L and I carry it in my glove box. I will pull up a youtube video on an IPR because this might be the problem. Oh, fuel is 3/4 full. Thanks for the replys.

twom7 04-15-2015 07:56 AM

I disconnected the IPR this morning after the engine sat all night and the engine was cold, but it still will not start this morning. So, still not sure whether it is my IPR. Any additional feedback is much appreciated.

Pitcrw6 04-15-2015 08:12 AM

If you disconnected the IPR then it won't start. Did you mean ICP?

twom7 04-15-2015 08:17 AM

I disconnected the IPR which is down in the valley behind and below the fuel bowl. The IPR has a wire connector going to it which I disconnected. I will look up the ICP, but I have not disconnected the ICP to my knowledge.

twom7 04-15-2015 08:32 AM

I looked up the ICP and I have not disconnected it. I will disconnect it and see what happens.

Pitcrw6 04-15-2015 08:35 AM

Well it sure won't start with the IPR disconnected so plug that back in. The ICP is on the drivers side head toward the front of the head. look for oil in the plug and connector. If it starts, leave it unplugged and see if the eng dies again.

twom7 04-15-2015 11:49 AM

Ok I unplugged the ICP and it still will not start. I may have to drive 75 niles to get a friends testing equipment to try to see if it is throwing any codes. I am not readily figuring this one out. Thanks.

twom7 04-15-2015 11:51 AM

There was oil on the end of the ICP and the connector wires, and I have had some kind of small oil leak for a few months on this truck.

Pitcrw6 04-15-2015 06:44 PM

You need to replace the ICP. Now, not saying that's the cause of your no start but it needs replaced. You need to get a scan tool hooked up so we can see what your ICP is and IPR duty cycle is.

twom7 04-15-2015 07:13 PM

Ok good deal. I will change out the ICP tomorrow, and I will borrow a friends scan tool and check out the IPR. I will let you know. Many thanks in advance for the replys.