Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   03 f250 with the 7.3L (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1364212-03-f250-with-the-7-3l.html)

dustingoss88 02-23-2015 10:06 PM

03 f250 with the 7.3L

I start it up and drive down the road and when i stop at a light or stop sign my truck will not accelerate and it losses power

RichardinVirginia 02-23-2015 10:21 PM

Need to know more...

Originally Posted by dustingoss88 (Post 15117730)
I start it up and drive down the road and when i stop at a light or stop sign my truck will not accelerate and it losses power

That is not a lot to go on. Right off I would be checking the two main things needed. Unrestricted fuel supply and unrestricted air flow.

Check filtering of fuel and filtering of air. Are the filters changed on a regular basis?

How many miles on the truck, how long have you owned it what have you repaired or replaced on it. Have you done any major modifications? Etc.

dustingoss88 02-23-2015 10:25 PM

The truck has 256000 miles i have changed the air filter and fuel filter i have owened the truck for two weeks the turbo gets really hot. It has a power cip that the previous owner put in and i dont know what elts he has done

RichardinVirginia 02-23-2015 10:36 PM

perhaps previous owner can help u?

Originally Posted by dustingoss88 (Post 15117799)
The truck has 256000 miles i have changed the air filter and fuel filter i have owned the truck for two weeks the turbo gets really hot. It has a power cip that the previous owner put in and I don't know what else he has done

Is there any way to check fuel pressure (and or flow?).

My 2001 7.3 Turbo is pretty stock. I am sorry, I don't know much about chip packages.

If there is anyway you can ask the previous owner about this? -- that is where I would start.

By the way there is a lot of help on the internet. Lots of You Tube stuff and the like. I learned a lot from forums like this and from research. It takes time but it also saves you thousands of dollars over having to take it to a garage --- they love to see a diesel come in because they can overcharge you at will!

Wish I could be more help. But do the research and be patient.

If the fuel pressure is low, you then can diagnose the fuel pressure pump, the fuel lines, and the fuel tank for probable causes.

Good luck God bless America!

dustingoss88 02-23-2015 10:42 PM

I took the power chip out so its just stock now i think but i was told the turbo should not get hot and if it das that means there is something wrong with the intercooler. Is this ccorrect.

RichardinVirginia 02-23-2015 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by dustingoss88 (Post 15117873)
I took the power chip out so its just stock now i think but i was told the turbo should not get hot and if it das that means there is something wrong with the intercooler. Is this ccorrect.

Hmmm not sure, if that is the issue warning they are not cheap!

RichardinVirginia 02-23-2015 11:29 PM

The main purpose of a powerstroke intercooler is to cool the turbocharger compressor discharge air. Front-mount intercoolers are typically installed behind your vehicle's grille, and it routes the discharge air through a high-efficiency heat exchanger core. This allows for a lower exhaust temperature as well as an extended engine life for your vehicle. These units are typically designed to fit specific vehicles, but a universal intercooler is designed to work with many different vehicle makes and models. Universal kits can include aluminum pipes, silicone hoses, and stainless steel clamps required for a complete installation. Sizes vary, but many intercoolers measure around 28 inches by 6 inches by 2.5 inches to easily fit behind your vehicle's grille. A powerstroke intercooler allows for better fuel efficiency and increased power. With the large inventory on eBay, you can find the right size unit for your vehicle.

RichardinVirginia 02-23-2015 11:40 PM

You are new to the 7.3 diesel... are you SURE there is an inter cooler ?

Mine does not have one.

dustingoss88 02-24-2015 07:39 AM

I looked at it and yes it has a intercooler i really dont know anything other the i have no power ones that turbo get hot

thomabb 02-24-2015 07:47 AM

I would expect the turbo to get hot, with the exhaust gasses routed through it. How hot? Glowing red hot? Do you hear metallic squeaks coming from it? Can you hear it spool up?

dustingoss88 02-24-2015 07:52 AM

It sounds like it spools but not like it should and im getting alot of white and gray smoke no black

thomabb 02-24-2015 08:16 AM

You may have a boost leak. Not knowing much of the history of the truck, you are going to need to do some serious diagnostics. It is difficult to postulate with the amount of info you have. Is there a reputable diesel shop near you that would be willing to do a diagnostic? Maybe if you post your location someone in the brotherhood here that has the right scan tool may be close and willing to help for a six pack or two.

dustingoss88 02-24-2015 07:18 PM

I live in freedom ny i took my truck over to brothers diesel and we think we might have figured it out we hope thanks for the ideas if u have more just keep writing them for me

thomabb 02-25-2015 09:27 AM

What does the diesel shop think it was??

CampSpringsJohn 02-25-2015 09:47 AM

^^^^^^What he said. Let us know what they found out.