Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Site Announcements (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum74/)
-   -   Site behavior since New Years (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1356739-site-behavior-since-new-years.html)

TheCurtster 01-14-2015 09:20 PM

Site behavior since New Years

Is it just me, or did the forums start acting differently since New Years? I'm seeking WAY more pop up ads... Irritating.

Curt

IB Tim 01-17-2015 11:12 AM

Has it settled down for you ?

projectSHO89 01-17-2015 12:41 PM

That's funny, I never see any of them. Oh, wait....Firefox with Ad Block and a couple of custom filters. Maybe that's why I don't burn up my mobile data (metered 4G wireless is my only viable broadband service) receiving trash (advertising) I don't want.

Seriously, I recently visited the site from a computer running IE10. If it were like that every day for me, I'd have abandoned visiting here long ago. Looks as trashy as visiting Yahoo.

Conanski 01-17-2015 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by projectSHO89 (Post 15003530)
That's funny, I never see any of them. Oh, wait....Firefox with Ad Block and a couple of custom filters.

Thanks for the heads up on AdBlock, I had converted to FireFox maybe 2 yrs ago because IE would completely freeze on this site, but recently I have noticed the ads here were even bogging down FireFox so I was getting a bit pissed off... but that's all fixed now.:-X22

spurredon 01-18-2015 06:53 AM

I use IE and normally I have to open the site, then leave and go surf somewhere else for awhile and then come back to it to sign in. Once signed in it is about normal. However, if I don't give the site enough time to load initially,(sometimes 45 secs to a minute), I am unable to sign in. I have to admit that sometimes I don't get back here as soon as I would if I didn't have to leave and wait for it to display all the stuff you see on music and movie sites. It has been a little dissapointing. Lately, the most annoying pop up is about "banned videos"! I still think the site is worth waiting for though.

T diesel 01-19-2015 05:06 AM

What's a "pop up?" :-X03

msgtord 01-23-2015 06:59 AM

:-X22.
Buy a t shirt, lanyard and a sticker. No pop ups.

sbryan 01-23-2015 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by msgtord (Post 15020629)
:-X22.
Buy a t shirt, lanyard and a sticker. No pop ups.

True that - but I have to admit the site seems to load a lot slower than it did. I have to wait quite a while just to get the login to show up. Once I'm in it still seems to churn quite a bit. Using Chrome on both a laptop and desktop.

But buy the t-shirt - it will get rid of some of the stuff you see if you don't have a t-shirt. Love the magic t-shirt:-X04

Greywolf 01-23-2015 09:32 AM

I dunno where my t-shirt ended up, I don't have it...

But I set my PC to auto-login at FTE, so it heads off anything like that. First thing I see is the forum index. (I used to have it set to go straight to my user cp)

IB Tim 01-25-2015 05:56 PM

When was the last time you cleared all cookies and cache ?

Originally Posted by sbryan (Post 15020637)
True that - but I have to admit the site seems to load a lot slower than it did. I have to wait quite a while just to get the login to show up. Once I'm in it still seems to churn quite a bit. Using Chrome on both a laptop and desktop.

But buy the t-shirt - it will get rid of some of the stuff you see if you don't have a t-shirt. Love the magic t-shirt:-X04

sbryan 01-25-2015 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by IB Tim (Post 15028065)
When was the last time you cleared all cookies and cache ?

Hi Tim. Cleared everything out a few days ago. I scrub stuff out pretty frequently. I have been assuming the load times are impacted by the graphics/video heavy home page.

IB Tim 01-25-2015 07:02 PM

It did not get any quicker with them cleared ?

Originally Posted by sbryan (Post 15028091)
Hi Tim. Cleared everything out a few days ago. I scrub stuff out pretty frequently. I have been assuming the load times are impacted by the graphics/video heavy home page.

sbryan 01-25-2015 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by IB Tim (Post 15028303)
It did not get any quicker with them cleared ?

To be honest I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to whether or not the load times changed. I have used vBulletin for a couple of boards I used to support and found people had a variety of experiences with the way it loaded. PhP based systems seem to be a challenge to get consistent performance across all the platforms out there. I'll try to pay a bit more attention to load times and try to capture some data for you if you like. End point analysis can sometimes help ID choke points.

ihcc104 01-26-2015 07:00 PM

I had to clear my cookies and browsing history for this site, its like it got gummed up,

I too bought the shirt, but never saw it. :-huh

Mystery shirt.

IB Tim 01-27-2015 07:02 AM

You have a PM ;)