Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   Newbie Here (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1354440-newbie-here.html)

DeltaRunner 01-02-2015 02:12 AM

Newbie Here

Hey fellas. I'm new to the forum as well as Ford diesel trucks. I've been looking for a 95-97 F250-350 4x4 for a while now. I found one for sale that is worth checking out, however, it's almost 300 miles away. I have never owned a truck like this so I have no clue about what to look for in buying a used one. Any help would be appreciated on what to ask the guy and other things to look for if I decide to make the drive.

So, here is what I'm looking at. I would post a pic, but it says I'm not allowed.

1997 Ford 350 single axle, 4x4, four door, 7.3ltr diesel, long wheel base Truck. All power locks, windows, etc. In good shape with low miles 148,000. Two many new items and parts to list from batteries, starter, alternator, to wiper blades..

ProjectDually 01-02-2015 03:06 AM

I can't remember what the stipulations were for posting pictures. I think it's 10 posts or something like that. It's in the FAQ somewhere.

I drove maybe 100+ to get mine.
A couple things: price, condition, and miles. This will help us out more. Higher mileage could potentially indicate what you will be looking at replacing soon if it wasn't already.

Check for cancer(rust), receipts in the glove box indicating maintenance done, how well does it drive, if you watch some youtube videos of what the engine should and shouldn't sound like will help you determine if the truck is tired or not. Tire condition, body damage, etc. Same things you would look at if you were buying a car. Ask questions, a lot of questions to the owner. Ask for detailed pictures of everything before you go and look at it!! So when you get there, you'll be more prepared to negotiate price. Find out everything wrong with it, what's been done, what kind of oil does he use, coolant, when were the last fluid changes? Did he smoke in the truck, if you smoke then it wouldn't matter unless he burned holes in the seats and headliner.

Hope that helps to get you started.

DeltaRunner 01-02-2015 03:16 AM

It looks really good in the few pictures I have seen. New wheels and tires. 148,000 miles. From what I hear, it's just now getting broke in good LOL. I haven't talked to him yet. Maybe I'll hear back from him today.

richdawg 01-02-2015 03:27 AM

First off -- Welcome to FTE. There are very knowlegable people on this site that can help you with your questions. Just to get you started here is a link to a site that will give you some very interesting reading material, much more info. than you asked for.
Tips - Idea - Hints

madpogue 01-02-2015 08:30 AM

Automatic or manual transmission? What's the service history?

Look for rust where you wouldn't see it in pictures - frame, spring/shock hangers/brackets, and esp. the core support.

Make it clear to the seller that you want the engine stone cold when you arrive to start it. If he's started it before you get there, turn around.

DeltaRunner 01-02-2015 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by madpogue (Post 14958580)
Automatic or manual transmission? What's the service history?

Look for rust where you wouldn't see it in pictures - frame, spring/shock hangers/brackets, and esp. the core support.

Make it clear to the seller that you want the engine stone cold when you arrive to start it. If he's started it before you get there, turn around.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind. Haven't talked to him yet. Hopefully he will email me today. I do know it is auto transmission.