Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   KOEO - SES stays on, cranks over, no start... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1352159-koeo-ses-stays-on-cranks-over-no-start.html)

rch10007 12-19-2014 11:10 AM

KOEO - SES stays on, cranks over, no start...

My 6.8L is experiencing an issue that I figured would be worthy to pass by you guys/gals...

Truck hasn't been ran in a few months...it ran fine when it was parked and has sat longer than this with no issue before. Battery voltage fine...

I get in, insert the key, turn it over and it cranks but doesn't fire...hmmm, why is that, I wonder? I notice the SES never goes out before I crank the truck over.

I unplug the battery, tried to clear any fault codes with my handheld tuner (which there was nothing showing up) and turned the ignition on. I left the key in the on position but didn't try to start it. The SES lights never turns off.

I am assuming that if the SES light stays on, the ecu will not allow the truck to start...is that true? What components have an effect on the SES light when you first turn on the key? Anyone got a "simple" explanation where they have seen this before?

Thanks.

Technologiq 12-19-2014 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by rch10007 (Post 14919472)
My 6.8L is experiencing an issue that I figured would be worthy to pass by you guys/gals...

Truck hasn't been ran in a few months...it ran fine when it was parked and has sat longer than this with no issue before. Battery voltage fine...

I get in, insert the key, turn it over and it cranks but doesn't fire...hmmm, why is that, I wonder? I notice the SES never goes out before I crank the truck over.

I unplug the battery, tried to clear any fault codes with my handheld tuner (which there was nothing showing up) and turned the ignition on. I left the key in the on position but didn't try to start it. The SES lights never turns off.

I am assuming that if the SES light stays on, the ecu will not allow the truck to start...is that true? What components have an effect on the SES light when you first turn on the key? Anyone got a "simple" explanation where they have seen this before?

Thanks.

I think you need to try and get your hands on a better code reader first off. Many auto part chains have ones you can use.

FordxFour 12-19-2014 12:36 PM

Do you hear the fuel pump humming for a second or two when you first turn the key to on(without starting)? As mentioned you need a code reader.

projectSHO89 12-19-2014 12:54 PM

Since he disconnected the battery, there's nothing there for a scanner or reader to read. Wild goose chase at this point.

What year is the truck?

I am assuming that if the SES light stays on, the ecu will not allow the truck to start...is that true?
No. It's a fast-flashing THEFT light that intentionally disables the engine.

What components have an effect on the SES light when you first turn on the key?
The PCM.

Do you hear the fuel pump humming for a second or two when you first turn the key to on(without starting)?
This is important!

Apocalypse 12-19-2014 03:17 PM

I'm calling it early on as a PATS issue ;)

rch10007 12-19-2014 05:06 PM

Thanks for the replies... Now that I am thinking of it, I can't remember if I heard the fuel pump or not. I won't get home until late tonight so I will check it out in the morning. I'm praying it's just a fuse or something - I've had so many electrical issues with this truck that I just don't even consider simple things like a fuel pump anymore...

projectSHO89 12-20-2014 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Apocalypse (Post 14919993)
I'm calling it early on as a PATS issue ;)

No mention of the THEFT light fast-flashing. That would be the indicator it's a PATS event.

Apocalypse 12-20-2014 11:07 AM

The best thing about the fuel pump is it is literally a 3 second test! You'll know right away if that's the issue :D

Tom 12-20-2014 04:36 PM

Unfortunately the SES light sent you on a wild goose chase. No codes means no codes, that light is always on before the engine starts.

Fuel would be the first thing I would check. My Excursion had the exact same symptoms when my fuel pump quit. Verify that the pump isn't working and your inertia switch isn't tripped first. Then order some parts. :)

RockAuto Parts Catalog

Apocalypse 12-20-2014 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tom (Post 14922881)
your inertia switch isn't tripped

Very unlikely, but again a 2 minute check that can save you a ton of money! Reps sent :D