Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   My first accident (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1351924-my-first-accident.html)

Mustang6147 12-17-2014 08:30 PM

My first accident

Well it happened in NOV, a Camry turned in front of me and she ran into the front of my 06. It was impressive how she spun backwards and against the curb, and how I pulled into McDonalds parking lot after words.

The after math.... I get my truck back from the body shop, steering wonders and my brakes are spongy... SO I pick the front end up. I have 95000 miles my brakes are original, my pads still have meat but its low so I do my fronts. I find the lower right outter tie rod end is loose, so that's the wondering.... After I did my front brakes, ( pads, turned rotors ) I pulled the back apart to grease the slides and inspect. My right side seemed tight....

My brake pedal is spongy if I hold pressure on it, the peddle keeps dropping I feel a second click in the pedal, then it holds.

What do you guys think. I am battling with my ins the accident was her fault, everyone was OK. I just want my truck back to normal.

Yahiko 12-18-2014 02:50 AM

Get it inspected by someone that knows what they are doing
and NOT the place that did the work. Then I would call your
agent and ask what they think. But all that aside you may need
someone that knows your rights and what not.

Sean https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...455b8d603e.gif

Big-Foot 12-18-2014 05:49 AM

Your pedal should never feel spongy from the time the pads are new until they are worn totally out - the master cylinder will compensate by pushing more fluid through the system until the pads remain in contact with the rotors.

It sounds like you either have some air in the system or your master cylinder may be bad.
Can you make the ABS function by slamming on the brakes on a sandy or wet surface?

tim.moman 12-18-2014 09:21 AM

+1 on getting independent inspection. Expert outside input so they will have to listen. Might have to make some noise with the ins people. Steering and brakes can fail DOT inspection, and it certainly should pass one after the work. doing work yourself though in the interim will hurt the effort to get them on it.

droldsmorland 12-18-2014 11:26 AM

If you hammered the brakes before she hit you that can cause a week spot in the system to rear its ugly head. The week spot could be any of the soft lines or the master on its way out etc...Yes definitely have it inspected for your and others safety ASAP

Mustang6147 12-18-2014 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Big-Foot (Post 14915513)
Your pedal should never feel spongy from the time the pads are new until they are worn totally out - the master cylinder will compensate by pushing more fluid through the system until the pads remain in contact with the rotors.

It sounds like you either have some air in the system or your master cylinder may be bad.
Can you make the ABS function by slamming on the brakes on a sandy or wet surface?

I finished the rear brakes. SO now, all lines are inspected and look good, all rotors are turned, all pads are new. I didn't like the way the RR caliper looked so I put 2 new in the rear. Everything clean, painted nice SO it is done right. Greased slides.

My pedal feels better, but I get the feeling my front brakes aren't working.... Either my proportioning valve is stuck, or I am not sure. I cannot get my pedal to bottom out, so it hold pressure. The top of the stroke is spongy. I did try to lock up the brakes, no ABS or lock up.

I did call the ins, argued and said I shouldn't have too lawyer up, so they agreed to have a Ford dealer look at it. It just ticks me off.

Thanks for the replies

Big-Foot 12-19-2014 06:29 AM

I'm thinking that your Master Cylinder might have some crud that's blocking the port for the front brakes or there's mud in the master that's compromised the check valve function.

If the pedal pressure feels like the power brake booster is functioning - we can probably rule that out.
Personally, I would replace the master with a quality remanufactured unit - but you may be able to get by with cleaning out the reservoirs and pressure bleeding it until the crud is flushed out..

- edit -
It's the whole thing with the pedal dropping slowly to the point where it finally hits that "click" that bothers me and is pointing me to the master cylinder.
Your proportioning valve would typically turn on a warning light should one end or the other (front or rear) be compromised ....

Mustang6147 12-19-2014 08:10 PM

So, I take my truck to the Ford dealer. I talk to the service guy I always talk to. He acted like a real Di#$. So I explained I had n open PO from the ins.

He asked who did the body work? I told him the name, he said then h cant do anything about it. I told him about the brakes, and tie rod end, I told him need Ford to fix my brakes and tie rod.

So he has a mechanic take my truck for a ride, I told him everything I did, he said it was strange and made no sense. he used a temp gun on the rotors, 180 front 130 rear, all even. SO the brakes work and aren't sticking.

He felt the rotors where cut too rough? He told me take it somewhere else.....

I had another repair shop look at it, he said its good, the pads need to seat. They are working better. The guy said give it 100 miles or so.... He also added that the Ford dealer and local parts stores have bad blood, because they can get Ford parts at a fraction of the cost.

I called Ford parts then for my tie rod end. Its $199. I called the repair shop, he gets the same part from Ford for $130..... SO the ins said If I do it they will pay me..... WTH is Ford doing.

droldsmorland 12-22-2014 09:03 AM

Losing customers and generating bad word of mouth...because they cant handle warranty claims properly.
It doesn't take much to make a customer happy, it really doesn't...with in reason of course.