Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Large Truck (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum232/)
-   -   1990 f-600 brake problem (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1347241-1990-f-600-brake-problem.html)

mroutlaw 11-20-2014 01:02 PM

1990 f-600 brake problem

Hello all and thank you for reading. I recently purchased a 1990 f-600 wrecker. The truck had a leaking rear brake cylinder. I was not concerned since I have dealt with this problem on other trucks for very cheap. When I started looking into parts I was very surprised to find out it could cost about 500 per side. Needless to say I feel like a fool for not looking into this first. My question is is there anyone that know of a cheap source for the parts and any thoughts on rebuilding the cylinders? I guess I should add that it's the electric over hydraulic. Again thanks for any help

85e150 11-20-2014 04:03 PM

Welcome to FTE.

NAPA has brake parts other than drums.

Drums might be an issue.

Yea, these are not pickup or car brakes....

My dad used to take the duals, hub and drum off to do the brakes instead of messing with taking the wheels off.

Watch yourself working on those--death or dismemberment is a kiss away with a truck like that, even empty.

When in doubt, farm it out. Paying for a truck shop to do it is a lot easier than growing a new foot for example.

dmanlyr 11-23-2014 10:33 AM

Sounds like the infamous Lucas-Girling setup? If so, there is no cheap alternative to proper repairs, even switching over to a full air brake system is rather elaborate and expensive.

Like 85e says - do it right, a accident costs way more than even a thousand for rear brake parts. Even though that grand is hard to swallow at first blush.

David

tree medics 11-29-2014 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by mroutlaw (Post 14837249)
Hello all and thank you for reading. I recently purchased a 1990 f-600 wrecker. The truck had a leaking rear brake cylinder. I was not concerned since I have dealt with this problem on other trucks for very cheap. When I started looking into parts I was very surprised to find out it could cost about 500 per side. Needless to say I feel like a fool for not looking into this first. My question is is there anyone that know of a cheap source for the parts and any thoughts on rebuilding the cylinders? I guess I should add that it's the electric over hydraulic. Again thanks for any help

I have a 1985 F- 700,with the same brake system. I just paid about $600 for both cylinders on the one side, the thinking is if your in there do both cylinders. ( this is the price for the parts about $300 for labour) .

The first time, I had the whole back brakes done was $4000 (It included the complete backing plate assembly for both sides .) because this was the least expensive way to go. About 11 years ago, since then the repair I mentioned ;and before that 6 years for the other side. Yes this is an expensive system, but what can you do!!!

white dually 2001 06-29-2015 03:46 PM

Can anyone Help? Lucas-Girling system is fine. The wheel cylinder has wedged open and will not collapse. Brake chamber is out. How do I close the cylinder to remove drum, other than a plasma cutter.