Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   Looking at a high mile 6.2 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1336246-looking-at-a-high-mile-6-2-a.html)

F.X.5 09-15-2014 06:03 PM

Looking at a high mile 6.2

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...552664090e.jpg

Here is a pic of a truck that looks just like it except its not an fx4.

I currently own an 08 6.4 and I can't afford to maintain it anymore. So I've been looking for a used 6.2 Super Duty to replace it.

I found a 2011 F250 6.2 4x4 crew cab short bed lariat fx4. Its a very nicely optioned truck with black leather, eatc, premium sound, reverse camera and sensors, rear locking diff, power rear slider, all power mirrors etc. Even has the window sticker and all the manuals in the ford case in the glove box.

Its a sharp truck and the dealer said a strange guy owned it. Always over maintained it and took good care of the truck. They said it was always full of stuff, like he lived out of it, only seat ever open was the drivers seat. He apparently traded it in on another super duty.

Overall its a pretty clean truck, a few dings and dents but they all seem accidental, not careless. No tears in the seats or anything and everything seems to work fine other than the remote start, didn't play with that much, may be something dumb. It seems to run good and shift good. A few of the lower gears seem to have a more firm shift but its a solid feel. Not a "oh ***** what was that feel".

So with that being said, the truck has 189k miles on it and they want 23k and some change. The only thing I'm concerned about is the miles. If the truck had low miles, its a 35-37k dollar truck. I don't know if its a risk worth taking with the first year production 6.2 or not.

What are your thoughts?

GSSF17 09-15-2014 07:00 PM

I bought a model year end 2012 F250 4x4 ext cab long bed XLT with a 6.2 for 31k out the door. Brand new. 11 miles. No backup cameras, sunroofs, Bluetooth checkbook balancers and automatic jaggoff machines, but a nice truck.

24k out the door for that truck is too much. 190K on a 2011? I don't think the original owner ever shut it off! Holy crap.

My gut reaction? Too much of a gamble. Just my initial thoughts. Good luck

Detailjohn 09-15-2014 07:28 PM

I just bought a 2015 cc XLT fx4 6.2 @ 36k out the door!

truckfella 09-15-2014 11:44 PM

Subscribed...

23k is their initial asking price, yes? So they're obviously willing to accept less?? Or was that their very best offer?

At the very least, I'd be paying a very reputable shop (or even better, doing it YOURSELF if you have the know-how) to perform a compression test on each cylinder. Not to mention checking the other usual mechanical stuff.

No doubt, 190k is a lot of miles. But it's just gotta be mostly highway miles to have that many. Unladen highway miles wouldn't scare me too much, especially if it's been "over maintained".

Terapin 09-16-2014 12:21 AM

I have a 2011 F-250 Super Duty, SC, 4X4, 6.2L, with 209,000 miles....so I wouldn't be afraid of the miles. And yes, mine is all highway, unladen miles. At most we pulled a 3000# trailer for a few hundred miles once a month. The truck has been amazing. I just posted on the new member thread that I changed the plugs and wires since they had never been changed. That's an expensive job since the 6.2L has 16 plugs and they are double platinum. They are supposed to go 100K, but if they have not been changed, you might want to have the dealer do that first. And wires are expensive too. You'll have over $400 in parts alone (plugs & wires) and it will take all day Saturday in the driveway...and you'll need beer.

But from my experience, the 6.2L has been a very reliable engine with no major issues for over 200K. Just normal maintenance so far. Hope this helps.

JIM_C 09-16-2014 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Terapin (Post 14669181)
I have a 2011 F-250 Super Duty, SC, 4X4, 6.2L, with 209,000 miles....so I wouldn't be afraid of the miles. And yes, mine is all highway, unladen miles. At most we pulled a 3000# trailer for a few hundred miles once a month. The truck has been amazing. I just posted on the new member thread that I changed the plugs and wires since they had never been changed. That's an expensive job since the 6.2L has 16 plugs and they are double platinum. They are supposed to go 100K, but if they have not been changed, you might want to have the dealer do that first. And wires are expensive too. You'll have over $400 in parts alone (plugs & wires) and it will take all day Saturday in the driveway...and you'll need beer.

But from my experience, the 6.2L has been a very reliable engine with no major issues for over 200K. Just normal maintenance so far. Hope this helps.

What Terapin said about plugs and wires and ESPECIALLY the beer. I'd take a hard look at the front end (ball joints, tie rod ends) and make sure the shift-on-the-fly works but the miles wouldn't scare me. Did you price it on KBB?

Terapin 09-16-2014 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by JIM_C (Post 14669861)
Did you price it on KBB?

For high mileage vehicles, KBB is more or less useless. I mean you can use it as a guide, but it's whatever the market will bear at the time. KBB for my 2011 is around 13.5K but I'd never sell it that cheap, it's worth way more than that to me since I know the history. I could never replace it for that.

However, to try and convince a buyer that my 200K plus truck is a cream puff, never pulled a heavy trailer, and always got proper maintenance is difficult....clean good truck notwithstanding...it's an uphill battle.

High, unladen highway miles with proper maintenance doesn't hurt the engine at all. In fact an engine with less than 100K could be in far worse shape internally if it was all start and stop, grocery store runs, and to church on Sunday. Starting it up and driving 350 miles straight without stopping does less damage than 10 short trips of a mile or 2.

Throw KBB away and dig into the history of the maintenance and previous usage as much as you can. Perhaps contact the previous owner and get the story straight form him (the dealer can provide you his name and contact info). If you like all the answer you get, then that 2011 high mile truck might be a good buy. If things don't add up, then walk away. If you just have-to-have it since it's a late model and looks soooo good, and you are willing to take the risk that you might have do some major repair, then buy it...after all, the repair will be a thousands cheaper than any diesel issues by far.

I'm betting I'll get 300K on mine before any serious rebuild is needed (fingers crossed).

Good luck to the OP on your purchase.

F.X.5 09-17-2014 06:44 PM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...6ef6686d26.jpg

I'm thinking the miles almost have to be highway miles and I agree with them not being hard on a vehicle. I did KBB it but I don't believe everything on there. It said 16-18k from a dealer. I think a straight up trade for my truck would be a deal worth taking. My truck has 135k on it.

I appreciate all the input.

Pic is up there lol. Can't figure the picture thing out yet.

Terapin 09-17-2014 08:02 PM

That's a good looking rig. Like the color. Mine is all white on white with some more white.

Enjoy the new ride and hope all goes well with the 6.2L.

F.X.5 09-17-2014 10:36 PM

Thanks. I love my king ranch. I don't like the 5k yearly maintenance on it. Idk if I'll get that 6.2 or not. I'm liking all the good high mileage stories but its still a pile of driving. I'll try and get the previous owners info and ask him about it.

Slowpoke Slim 09-18-2014 06:41 AM

I drove my brand new '12 xlt off the lot for 34k. Sorry but that price is way out of line for the miles on it. Even if you figure the truck is only "half" used up, that price tag is 8k too high for a 4 year old truck with almost 200k miles on it.

I don't care if it was maintained by Tinker Bell and an all-fairy Indy pit crew. The price is not at all in line with the amount of miles on the truck. There's a crap-load of trucks out there for sale on the used market. I'd offer them 16k out the door, and if they didn't take it, then I would walk away from this one and not look back.

They (dealers) get you suckered into wanting the vehicle and convince you that some how this "one" truck is the only one you'll be happy with.

This one would get a "Hell No" from me.