Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   Looking for a cheap exhaust for a 2001 V8 Lariat (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1333232-looking-for-a-cheap-exhaust-for-a-2001-v8-lariat.html)

cronos1013 08-29-2014 07:38 AM

Looking for a cheap exhaust for a 2001 V8 Lariat

I have a 2001 F-150 V8, extended cab, 8 foot bed and my exhaust rusted out just in front of the muffler, so to ease my wife's complaints I have agreed to fix it (it really sounds pretty cool now sadly).

Does anyone know where I can buy (cheaply) a new pre-bent exhaust pipe for that thing? I don't have access to a ton of tools to make my own, but I figured I was gonna swap my rusted out pipe and muffler (the cat is good and was recently replaced) with a cherry bomb style or other similarly inexpensive muffler, but I'm at a loss for where to get a pre-bent exhaust pipe without spending hundreds.

I drive this thing under 4000 miles a year so whatever I put in there isn't going to see a ton of use, so I want to keep it as inexpensive as possible.

Thanks!!

Chris

ryoken31 08-29-2014 09:20 AM

I'm in the same boat where my exhaust has rusted and broke off and my muffler kinda looks like Swiss cheese. The best deal I've found is summit racing makes a cat back kit for 200 bucks. You could probably swap out the muffler for a Magnaflow or something to make it sound a little more kick ass. If anyone else knows a cheaper alternative I'd be interested in hearing it too. For the moment I bought a coupler at Canadian Tire and connected the broken pipes back together. Cost 15 bucks for that and the clamps.

cronos1013 08-29-2014 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by ryoken31 (Post 14623349)
I'm in the same boat where my exhaust has rusted and broke off and my muffler kinda looks like Swiss cheese. The best deal I've found is summit racing makes a cat back kit for 200 bucks. You could probably swap out the muffler for a Magnaflow or something to make it sound a little more kick ass. If anyone else knows a cheaper alternative I'd be interested in hearing it too. For the moment I bought a coupler at Canadian Tire and connected the broken pipes back together. Cost 15 bucks for that and the clamps.

OK, so I did some mickey mouse guestimating...and I think I have found my solution, but I've got to do some measuring this weekend to see if it will actually work.

In my case, the cat is good, so I'm going to cut off the exhaust after it, then install one of along with a cheap and just figure something out for a midpipe between the cat and the muffler (I think it's just a short section of straight pipe.) My goal is to keep this whole repair around 100 bucks, but if it looks like I'm SOL, I might just pick up that Summit Racing kit.

Chris

skidmarks82 09-01-2014 02:50 PM

Junk yards??? Maybe - might be able to find a whole truck for that too with one .

Dr. Dirt 09-03-2014 08:10 PM

is it okay to buy the cherry bomb muffler and put a turn down on it?

goodoleboy80 09-04-2014 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Dirt (Post 14637871)
is it okay to buy the cherry bomb muffler and put a turn down on it?

YES. I have a flowmaster with turn downs. would have used cherry bomb but already had the flow.