Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum67/)
-   -   Core support fix or replace? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1331679-core-support-fix-or-replace.html)

Phinxter 08-20-2014 06:05 PM

Core support fix or replace?

I went to school for auto body repair about 25 years ago and after a short time actually doing it for a living I decided it wasn't for me, and to someday use what I have learned as a hobby. Well that someday is here. After dragging my feet for over a year I have begun my Ranger resto.

The first thing I want to address is the core support, it's in rough shape, but I believe I can fix it, but it would take some time and when I'm done it should slide right back in. Or I can just replace it, found after market parts rather cheap, but fear it will be a bear to make it fit...maybe.

Has anybody had experience replacing an old Ranger core support? It looks like it is spot welded to the inner fenders,(thought it was bolted in) I wasn't expecting that, but doesn't look like that many to drill out, any advice would be great thanks.

Josh S 08-21-2014 07:08 AM

Yes, I did replace the one in my '94. LOTS of work but definitely doable. I found an aftermarket on Ebay for $100 including shipping, so it didn't make sense in my case to attempt repairing the old one. The spot welds all drilled out fairly easily with a typical drill bit (they do make special ones for the job), and I drilled new holes for the new rivets. A critical measurement is from the hood latch back to the firewall. I forgot to measure during removal and had to grind the hood's slot a little bigger so the latch would line up.

I put everything from the repair in this thread and some others actually ended up posting their repairs too, so a lot of good information there. Good luck with yours.

WTF?! Body mounts rusted off front clip - The Ranger Station Forums

Phinxter 08-21-2014 05:25 PM

Thanks Josh, great pics that helps alot, I found a core support for less that $40, with low shipping I might just go that route.

JWA 08-22-2014 06:14 AM

If this Ranger is to be something you'll hang on to for a while my money would be spent on a new OEM part OR one in good condition from a salvage yard. Going through all this work just to replace the core support with one that'll most likely rust apart in short order doesn't make sense, not to this former body shop owner anyway.

Perhaps the aftermarket part could be preemptively treated with POR-15 or similar to extend its life.

Still seems like a lot of labor to me................

Josh S 08-22-2014 07:04 AM

I do agree. 2 years later and my aftermarket core support is getting rusty already. Now it matches the rest of my truck so that was fine for me but maybe not for yours? Coating it with something would definitely help keep the rust at bay.

Diesel_Brad 08-22-2014 11:19 AM

It doesnt matter aftermarket or OEM. If it i not prepped and painted correctly it is going to rust. You can't just put in an E-coated (black prime) part and expect it not to rust

So prep it and paint it correctly, and you will not have an issue

Phinxter 08-23-2014 03:04 PM

well, I got the left fender off and came to a screeching halt! There is a big hole rusted in the cowl under the windshield, this would explain the water leak in the interior, that just killed it for me, I'm gonna do a few repairs on it and sell it for cheap, the guy I bought it from wanted me to sell it back to him maybe I will.:-arrgh

Phinxter 09-01-2014 02:45 PM

Ok I have decided to keep going on this thing, besides Rock auto, LMC truck, NPD, Bronco graveyard, where can I find repair panels for this thing?

Josh S 09-01-2014 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Phinxter (Post 14631223)
Ok I have decided to keep going on this thing, besides Rock auto, LMC truck, NPD, Bronco graveyard, where can I find repair panels for this thing?

When I did my firewall work I was not able to find anybody that made replacement panels for that area. If the rot has spread to your cowl and firewall it will make the core support seem like child's play. Sorry, it's just a lot of work. Be sure that your truck holds that much value to you. Monetarily it might not be worth the effort, but if you like the truck, and it sounds like you do, then you just have to dig in.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...st-damage.html

Oh, and great avatar by the way. You have to respect a movie that can be that scary in full daylight when so many of the modern horrors are filmed in almost total darkness.

Diesel_Brad 09-02-2014 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Phinxter (Post 14606646)
well, I got the left fender off and came to a screeching halt! There is a big hole rusted in the cowl under the windshield, this would explain the water leak in the interior, that just killed it for me, I'm gonna do a few repairs on it and sell it for cheap, the guy I bought it from wanted me to sell it back to him maybe I will.:-arrgh

If you would of of asked a week ago, I had two diesel radiator supports for sale. One now resides in MI and one in TN

Phinxter 09-02-2014 06:27 PM

I'm already planning on pulling out the dash anyway, wouldn't say I'm in love with it but I'm gonna see it through. Thanks for the link, those pics are great! been looking for some with the dash out. Actually my cowl is in decent shape I believe, the drivers side floor is real bad from water leaking in for who knows how long.:(

Phinxter 09-02-2014 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad (Post 14632883)
If you would of of asked a week ago, I had two diesel radiator supports for sale. One now resides in MI and one in TN

I asked 2 weeks ago! Did they make a diesel Ranger from 89-92? Oh well.