Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum117/)
-   -   First time ever replacing a water pump.. help please (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1331307-first-time-ever-replacing-a-water-pump-help-please.html)

sjwelds 08-19-2014 05:14 PM

The shaft from the fan rearward has a hex on it. turn that while holding the four bolts on the pulley. Left hand thread.

mozzles 08-19-2014 05:28 PM

Ah, I see what I'm doing now. So this is the tricky part everyone has trouble with. What's the best way of keeping the pulley from moving while doing this? I don't really have any other tools, just standard wrenches and sockets, and the clutch fan kit I rented from Auto Zone.

kla94 08-19-2014 05:38 PM

There should be a wide wrench with the rental that will fit over the for bolts on the pulley. This allows you to hold the pulley and use the other wrench to turn the big nut on the clutch. LEFT HAND threads on the clutch.

mozzles 08-19-2014 06:09 PM

WOO! Got that part out of the way. Wasn't too hard actually, once I got the wrench tool around the pulley bolts and put a breaker bar on it. Now on to the next steps...

mozzles 08-19-2014 06:30 PM

OK, got another problem. When it says to loosen the power steering pump and remove the belt, do I just loosen the bolt that is on a slider type thing? I tried that and it doesn't want to move, so now I'm thinking maybe there is something that I'm missing.

kla94 08-19-2014 07:37 PM

Didn't have that problem on mine, it's serpentine belt system. You will probably have to loosen the bolt that holds the power steering pump to the block. That should allow the slide to work.

mozzles 08-19-2014 08:40 PM

Alright, got all the belts off of there. Now do I remove the 4 bolts on the front of the pulley? Tried to get one but it seemed pretty stuck on there, plus I'm having to hold the pulley with my other hand to keep it from moving. Am I going about this right?

Macrobb 08-19-2014 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by mozzles (Post 14597044)
Alright, got all the belts off of there. Now do I remove the 4 bolts on the front of the pulley? Tried to get one but it seemed pretty stuck on there, plus I'm having to hold the pulley with my other hand to keep it from moving. Am I going about this right?

Put at least one belt back on and make it tight. Should make it easier to get the bolt.

mozzles 08-19-2014 10:22 PM

Got it! Putting a belt back on didn't help, I tried 2 different ones but couldn't get them tight enough to make a difference. What did help was using the tool that came with the fan clutch set I borrowed, to hold the 4 bolts and managed to get a socket on one bolt at a time to loosen. Worked like a charm.

Now I'm stuck again, trying to get the small coolant hose off the top of the water pump. It's not wanting to budge one bit. Not sure what I should do here...

tecgod13 08-19-2014 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by mozzles (Post 14597459)
Got it! Putting a belt back on didn't help, I tried 2 different ones but couldn't get them tight enough to make a difference. What did help was using the tool that came with the fan clutch set I borrowed, to hold the 4 bolts and managed to get a socket on one bolt at a time to loosen. Worked like a charm.

Now I'm stuck again, trying to get the small coolant hose off the top of the water pump. It's not wanting to budge one bit. Not sure what I should do here...

You have a couple options. If you have a hook tool, try to work it under the edge of the tube to break it free.
If that doesn't work, you can always cut it off. I think there should be enough slack in the hose to reconnect it, or just get a new piece of hose. If I recall it runs to the cab heater and is just a regular section of heater hose.

mozzles 08-21-2014 06:22 PM

Ended up just tearing off the hose, going to buy a new one later. I've got all the bolts removed from the water pump, and put into their corresponding holes on the new pump so I don't mix any up. The pump doesn't want to come off, but I'm sure all of the bolts are out. Should I try to pry it off with something gently?

Also, I thought of another couple questions that I should ask:

1. I don't have a torque wrench. I've read that the bolts should be tightened to 14 lbs torque, I'm not particularly strong so should I just try to get them as tight as possible? I don't want to mess anything up, obviously.

2. I bought a re-manufactured pump. It doesn't look so bad, but there's a few dings and scratches. Should I get some sandpaper or anything and file it down? I'm kind of apprehensive about doing this and messing it up.

3. I read in one thread, somebody used paint thinner to clean the pump surface where it meets the gasket, as well as all of the bolts. Do I need to do this?

Thank you! Hoping to get this done and my truck running again by the end of the day.

mozzles 08-21-2014 10:53 PM

Got the pump off. Just took a little more force than I was using. Now I'm stuck on trying to get this old gasket off, it's really stuck on there good. I have razor blades, sandpaper (somewhere, I don't remember what grit), PB Blaster, WD-40, throttle body cleaner, MAF sensor cleaner... hoping to not have to buy anything else as I am short on funds at the moment. What works best for you guys? I read that using a razor blade at a 90 degree angle to the surface is safe and works good, so I was doing that for awhile, but it's pretty tedious and taking a long time.

Aside from that, I still have those 3 questions above ^ that I need to know before proceeding. Harbor Freight has a torque wrench that will go to 14 lbs, thinking about just buying one and then taking it back after I'm done. Do all of you generally use a torque wrench when doing this?

Also, I realized that I need to take the heater hose pipe off of the water pump.. it's stuck on there REALLY good. There was some kind of thread lock tape on it, that I scraped off the parts that were exposed. I don't have a big enough open ended wrench, but it seems to me that it is a 7/8" size. I'll probably just pick up one of those at Harbor Freight too, and return it when I'm done along with the torque wrench, unless you guys have any better ideas.

Thank you,

Zac

akamacgyver 08-21-2014 11:08 PM

A little late, but this is golden.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...new-trick.html

Use some locktite on the threads when you put the fan clutch back on. Now is a good time to do your t-stat if you haven't already done it too.

Macrobb 08-21-2014 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by mozzles (Post 14602885)
Got the pump off. Just took a little more force than I was using. Now I'm stuck on trying to get this old gasket off, it's really stuck on there good. I have razor blades, sandpaper (somewhere, I don't remember what grit), PB Blaster, WD-40, throttle body cleaner, MAF sensor cleaner... hoping to not have to buy anything else as I am short on funds at the moment. What works best for you guys? I read that using a razor blade at a 90 degree angle to the surface is safe and works good, so I was doing that for awhile, but it's pretty tedious and taking a long time.

The block and everything is steel; you can't hurt it easily with a razor blade(or much of anything else, for that matter). Not like those aluminum blocks or anything.

Aside from that, I still have those 3 questions above ^ that I need to know before proceeding. Harbor Freight has a torque wrench that will go to 14 lbs, thinking about just buying one and then taking it back after I'm done. Do all of you generally use a torque wrench when doing this?

'Course not! I just get them tight by feel with a ratchet. Works for most everything well enough.

Also, I realized that I need to take the heater hose pipe off of the water pump.. it's stuck on there REALLY good. There was some kind of thread lock tape on it, that I scraped off the parts that were exposed. I don't have a big enough open ended wrench, but it seems to me that it is a 7/8" size. I'll probably just pick up one of those at Harbor Freight too, and return it when I'm done along with the torque wrench, unless you guys have any better ideas.

If it's that stuck, it's probably pretty old, and will probably leak when you put it back on. Might just get a new hose; it's not that much.

mozzles 08-22-2014 12:34 AM

Not the hose, I was already planning on getting one of those (it was stuck, had to cut it off). I'm talking about the short pipe that screws into the water pump, that the hose fits onto. The water pump I got didn't have one, so I've got to get this one off somehow.

And thanks for the help with the other questions. Good to know I'm not going to mess anything up.