Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Conventional (Bumper Pull) Towing; Travel Trailers & Pop-ups (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum286/)
-   -   Sharing a thought about traveling with full dump tanks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1330953-sharing-a-thought-about-traveling-with-full-dump-tanks.html)

MisterCMK 08-26-2014 07:56 PM

Sure makes me glad all I have is a fresh water tank in my camper!

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Archion 08-26-2014 08:45 PM

My Wilderness has what looks to be gas tank straps bolted to the frame, but I still dump them before traveling if at all possible. The freshwater tank is up inside under the master bed, along with the water heater...

thomabb 08-27-2014 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz (Post 14594482)
So I am sorry for you and anyone who was driving behind me that day.

No apologies necessary. But it would be nice if someone made a car wash locator app for Android. I would have paid $100 for that app that day. :-X04

Irelands child 08-27-2014 09:46 AM

I try to travel with just enough 'liquid' to flush the toilet, ~10-15 gallons. Gray water can dump almost anywhere, it's the toilet flush stuff that needs a septic dump station and if you are boondocking, sometimes a problem.

r2millers 08-27-2014 10:11 AM

Yep. Brings back some stinky memories.
To your point Steve, the black and one gray or galley tank are held in with L brackets along the base length. When the tank fills, the L brackets flex out. My black tank dropped down after cleaning out with the san I tee flush system. I filled it up too far, knowing you're supposed to only do it with the valve open but I wanted a really good flush. The weight bend out the brackets and the tank dropped onto the generator exhaust system, fortunately not falling totally out. By that time, the mess in the campsite was mostly flushed water.
Both of these tanks are about 4" apart so I built a gusset type wedge between both tanks to eliminate that flexing. I had to pull back the under belly fabric to get it fixed. I bought some heavy weather screen material at Home Depot to replace as once you take this down, there's no way to get it tight enough to put it back.
Now I only haul with minimal amount in the tanks unless I absolutely have to.
Good topic to discuss Steve. Thx for sharing.

jdadamsjr 08-27-2014 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by thomabb (Post 14617517)
No apologies necessary. But it would be nice if someone made a car wash locator app for Android. I would have paid $100 for that app that day. :-X04

Here ya go --> Locator App

will do both truck and rv !

jdadamsjr 08-27-2014 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by r2millers (Post 14617602)
.....I filled it up too far, knowing you're supposed to only do it with the valve open but I wanted a really good flush.....

Wait... they warn you so that it doesn't spew out, not that it gets too heavy...
that infers that clear water is heavier than Poopy water ?!? }>

I don't think so :):-hair

in fact, on my previous rv's that's how I flushed...
filled it up say 3/4 full when moving to a new park... let it slosh around and then dump when we got to the new park...

BossGasser 08-28-2014 01:03 AM

There is often a sticker or? on an RV that states how much a full tank of fresh water weighs. Why? It leads to more questions.
I always travel with a full tank of fresh water from home. No one knows what might happen.
We left camp with a full black tank and two empty grey tanks. Yes, we left camp with a full tank of fresh water for the trip home. The roads to the dump station are not in good shape.

Irelands child 08-28-2014 07:00 AM

For those that don't have that sticker, a gallon of water weighs ~8.33 pounds per gallon. I'm lazy so just round it down to 8/gallon. Our new Montana has a 64 gallon fresh, 93 gray and 50 black tanks. If all are full to almost overflowing, that's 207 gallons. At 8.33/gallon that's a 1724 pound increase in your trailers weight (or the lazy, in my head calc, ~1650 pounds). That plus your other cargo and toys might just take you over the gross weight sticker on the side of the trailer - axle and tire capabilities, mostly.

r2millers 08-29-2014 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Irelands child (Post 14620144)
For those that don't have that sticker, a gallon of water weighs ~8.33 pounds per gallon. I'm lazy so just round it down to 8/gallon. Our new Montana has a 64 gallon fresh, 93 gray and 50 black tanks. If all are full to almost overflowing, that's 207 gallons. At 8.33/gallon that's a 1724 pound increase in your trailers weight (or the lazy, in my head calc, ~1650 pounds). That plus your other cargo and toys might just take you over the gross weight sticker on the side of the trailer - axle and tire capabilities, mostly.

Is that a realistic number? You fill your fresh water up to ultimately fill both gray and black, leaving the fresh almost empty. The gross weight therefore doesn't change that much except the difference of the black tank "debris."

I don't know of anyone that fills their freshwater tank up again after filling both gray and black so I'm not that's a good number to base GVW upon.

seventyseven250 08-29-2014 03:32 PM

There are several campground around here that have a water hookup, but no sewer hookup, so I guess if you arrived with a full freshwater tank, it would be possible to fill your grey and black tanks, and still have a full fresh tank.

I think it would be more common to empty the fresh tank as you fill the two dirty tanks though.

r2millers 08-29-2014 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by seventyseven250 (Post 14624247)
There are several campground around here that have a water hookup, but no sewer hookup, so I guess if you arrived with a full freshwater tank, it would be possible to fill your grey and black tanks, and still have a full fresh tank.

I think it would be more common to empty the fresh tank as you fill the two dirty tanks though.

Yes, but now your really asking for problems as easy as it is to overfill/flow both of your gray and/or black tanks with that new fresh water.

Irelands child 08-29-2014 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by r2millers (Post 14624052)
Is that a realistic number? You fill your fresh water up to ultimately fill both gray and black, leaving the fresh almost empty. The gross weight therefore doesn't change that much except the difference of the black tank "debris."

I don't know of anyone that fills their freshwater tank up again after filling both gray and black so I'm not that's a good number to base GVW upon.

Someone WILL do this with full tanks - whether you or I would or not, there are always those that will push any limits and for whatever reason.

My intent was to show that a gallon of water weighs ~ 8-1/3 pounds. After that, you are on your own to do the basic arithmetic

senix 08-29-2014 04:22 PM

with a 100 gal fresh water and 57 black and 114 gray I think I am ok.

seventyseven250 08-31-2014 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Irelands child (Post 14624311)
My intent was to show that a gallon of water weighs ~ 8-1/3 pounds. After that, you are on your own to do the basic arithmetic

I'm sure you'll find some folks out there that will argue with you.