Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   49 passenger side door (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1330548-49-passenger-side-door.html)

rbtom 08-14-2014 11:08 AM

49 passenger side door

Is there any reason why I would have a lock key on the passenger door and none on the drivers door? It doesn't make any sense to me. I guess I'm thinking that one of the doors is from a different year truck?

Doc 08-14-2014 11:14 AM

Nothing wrong with your truck. It's been discussed here a zillion times. Do a search on it. Ole Henry didn't want his customers stepping out on the street side of their truck (plus it was probably a cost saving measure). So you pull the inside driver's door handle up so that it's horizontal, then slide across and lock the passenger side with the key from the outside. DO NOT lock the passenger side with the inside handle before you close that door. Ask me how I know. But, to answer your question, that is the way they all were made for those years.

JPMallory 08-14-2014 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 14582713)
DO NOT lock the passenger side with the inside handle before you close that door. Ask me how I know.

Ha! How do you know? More importantly, how did you get back into your truck? I've been wondering what I'm going to do when I eventually do this.

52 Merc 08-14-2014 12:33 PM

Way back in the early days, Model T's didn't even have a drivers door. It was customary to slide in to and from the passenger side (curb side), hence only one lock.

52 Merc 08-14-2014 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by JPMallory (Post 14582867)
Ha! How do you know? More importantly, how did you get back into your truck? I've been wondering what I'm going to do when I eventually do this.

Break a window. :-arrgh I had a passenger lock me out once, right after telling them NOT to lock the door. :-X15

JPMallory 08-14-2014 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by 52 Merc (Post 14582874)
Break a window. :-arrgh I had a passenger lock me out once, right after telling them NOT to lock the door. :-X15

Oh wow. Is that the only option?

raytasch 08-14-2014 12:58 PM

I know of a very active and well respected forum member, who will remain anonymous, who had to remove the rear glass to gain entrance to his truck.:-X21 Somehow, someone locked his passenger door.:-X15

AXracer 08-14-2014 12:58 PM

Remember, off street diagonal parking and shopping centers didn't start being the norm except in larger cities (while most trucks were sold in rural areas) until well into the 60's. Until then most parking was done parallel to the curb. It was discouraged and even illegal in some places to open the door/exit on the traffic side.

rbtom 08-14-2014 01:04 PM

Ha!! That's great!! Thanks for clearing up my little mystery!!

Doc 08-14-2014 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by JPMallory (Post 14582867)

Originally Posted by 52 Merc (Post 14582874)

Originally Posted by raytasch (Post 14582912)
I know of a very active and well respected forum member, who will remain anonymous, who had to remove the rear glass to gain entrance to his truck.:-X21 Somehow, someone locked his passenger door.:-X15

Yep. It sucked. We stopped to get Subway for breakfast on our way to TS 14. She pulled the handle up on her side on her way out of the truck. And I was forced to push a 65 year old original back glass into my truck. It was going well until it got about halfway, then it flexed and shattered as shown. THEN, I had to piece it back together and put it back for the remainder of the trip. And, before anybody asks, I tried to open the door with a coat hanger for about 30 minutes before I just said to heck with this and pushed that window in.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...c78adfe5e0.jpg

rbtom 08-14-2014 02:42 PM

You can't unlock it with the key? ?!

Jolly Roger Joe 08-14-2014 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by rbtom (Post 14583075)
You can't unlock it with the key? ?!

Not if you lock it from the inside. Don't ask me how I know. But I was lucky enough to unlock it with a coat hanger, unlike Shane.

Doc 08-14-2014 03:00 PM

Take note of how my wife (the culprit) was sitting peacefully inside the truck,enjoying her nice breakfast sandwich, while I was standing in the bed of my truck trying to convince a completely dry-rotted 65 year old broken window seal to go back into place at least temporarily so that we could continue on our journey. ;) I didn't say a word. The worst part about it was that I lost the "Truckstock 2012" sticker in the back glass.

230thdratsab 08-15-2014 05:40 AM

Welcome to Classic Auto Supply can reproduce the glass which includes the etched Ford Safety Glass logo. I've purchased vent & driver's door glass from them. So far so good.

FortyNiner 08-15-2014 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Doc (Post 14583116)
Take note of how my wife (the culprit) was sitting peacefully inside the truck,enjoying her nice breakfast sandwich, while I was standing in the bed of my truck trying to convince a completely dry-rotted 65 year old broken window seal to go back into place at least temporarily so that we could continue on our journey. ;) I didn't say a word. The worst part about it was that I lost the "Truckstock 2012" sticker in the back glass.

You've been married long enough to know that it was all your fault, Shane. Hope you apologized for any inconvenience you caused.