Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Trouble with Wheel Vintiques Gennie Innies (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1329728-trouble-with-wheel-vintiques-gennie-innies.html)

49willard 08-09-2014 04:02 PM

Trouble with Wheel Vintiques Gennie Innies

Has anyone else had trouble with fit of innie hubcaps (dog dish) in Gennie Vintique wheels? Neither reproduction nor original hubcaps will fit. It appears that the inner diameter of the wheel at the location of the nubs is too small. My wheels are 15". They are also made in 16,17 1nd 18 inch. I purchased mine thru Summit Racing. The Vintique supplied wheels from Summit do come epoxy primed however the epoxy prime does not appear to be overly thick.
I bought and painted the wheels several years ago and just went to fit up the hubcaps. Anyone had a similar experience?

Doc 08-09-2014 04:28 PM

Are you talking a matter of millimeters, or is never going to fit? Obviously you'll have to grind on it some, but I'd sure be careful and grind evenly on all four surfaces. And check the fit very frequently while doing so. I have one original wheel with an opening that is just slightly too wide. I had to wrap a strip of electrical tape around the flange of the hubcap in order to tighten it up. You certainly don't want that.

tinman52 08-09-2014 07:07 PM

I've had to grind down the "bumps" to get them to go on without beating the heck out of them. Like Doc says, it's a fine line or they get too loose.

49willard 08-09-2014 07:16 PM

Doc, It feels like more than total paint thickness. I don't look forward to going at my finish paint with a grinder, hence, my question. I could remove material from the hubcaps, however, I would be removing some of the ridge that snaps behind the nubs. As I mentioned in my first post above, the original Ford hubcap has the same problem, so it is not a hubcap problem.

49willard 08-09-2014 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by tinman52 (Post 14570809)
I've had to grind down the "bumps" to get them to go on without beating the heck out of them. Like Doc says, it's a fine line or they get too loose.

Scott, I don't think that it is the "bumps" or nubs, I wish it was.

49willard 08-09-2014 10:12 PM

The inner diameter on the reproduction wheels is definatly smaller than n original Ford wheel. It is difficult to get a precise measurement but I think that the inner diameter of the wheel where the inner rolled edge of the hubcap has to fit is upwards of 1/8" larger on my original Ford wheel compared to the reproduction wheel. The nubs on the original wheel are also more pronounced than on the reproduction wheel. I did remove all of the paint at the contact area on one wheel and it still will not fit.

I can't be the only one on this forum that has used Vintique gennie wheels with dogdish hubcaps!

JPMallory 08-10-2014 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by 49willard (Post 14571264)
I can't be the only one on this forum that has used Vintique gennie wheels with dogdish hubcaps!

I didn't have any issues fitting my hubcaps to my gennies, but my wheels are 16". It could just be a problem with their 15" wheels I guess.

49willard 08-10-2014 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by JPMallory (Post 14571847)
I didn't have any issues fitting my hubcaps to my gennies, but my wheels are 16". It could just be a problem with their 15" wheels I guess.

Jason,
Thanks for your reply. The stamping of the inner disc would be a different set of dies for the 15 vs 16".

Anyone fit up dog dish caps on 15" Vintiques Gennie wheels?

pintoplumber 08-10-2014 04:13 PM

I have them on my 15" wheels that I bought about 13 years ago. You have to smack them on with your hand. Dennis

Truckstops 54 08-10-2014 04:14 PM

i'll check mine this week, there still in the box

49willard 08-10-2014 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by pintoplumber (Post 14572707)
I have them on my 15" wheels that I bought about 13 years ago. You have to smack them on with your hand. Dennis

I bought my gennie wheels in 2008 and shame on me, I never did a prepaint fitup and now I find the problem. I purchased mine from Summit Racing and they have a 2 year limit. Unfortunately when doing these trucks a 2 year build would be a miracle for me. In my best days it took at least 3 years. That said I pay for almost no labor and do it myself (the reason for the long schedule).

49willard 08-10-2014 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Truckstops 54 (Post 14572713)
i'll check mine this week, there still in the box

Thanks, I will be interested in what you find. Are they 15's?

Okiedokie 08-12-2014 03:00 PM

I have used two sets of those wheels in the past [15"] and never had a problem with repro hubcaps [never used originals]. I can't imagine that they have changed the wheel. Now, it does take a pretty good smack with the palm of your hand to seat them. If you hit the edge of the cap a good firm smack it won't dent the cap [at least mine didn't]. Don't use a mallet. My brother has a couple of F1's with original wheels and he has a problem keeping the repro caps on the wheels.

underthebridgejim 08-12-2014 03:20 PM

If its real close, would some time in the freezer help?

Wmrdalydvm 08-12-2014 04:49 PM

I'm with Jason. I bought 16" gennies, also from Summit and my repro caps fit just fine
Bill