Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum39/)
-   -   Trozei's '69 F100 Build Thread (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1329648-trozeis-69-f100-build-thread.html)

trozei 08-08-2014 10:22 PM

Trozei's '69 F100 Build Thread

1 Attachment(s)
Welp, the time has come. The truck is a 1969 F100 with a 300 paired to a C4, of which I've already built up to handle some power. It's got the Flex-O-Matic springs and absolutely zero luxuries. Manual steering, manual brakes, no radio, no AC, no nothing you could ever want. And you know what? I love it for that. It was bought as a work truck, and work it does well. My distributor's vacuum spark advance and retard diaphragms are both broken, my gaskets and rear main seal are all leaking, my carburetor desperately needs a rebuild, my insurance is now up and thanks to emissions testing that I can't pass, I can't re-insure the truck. Obviously, this means tear it down. ;) I've always wanted to restore a vehicle, so this is my time.

I'm 18 years old. I bought the truck when I was 16 in Puyallup, WA and drove it home to Langley, BC in second gear as third gear wouldn't get up off its lazy ass and function properly, winding away at 45mph and who-knows-what RPM. I didn't actually have a driver's license at the time. :-X04 The truck has treated me well. To my surprise, despite its issues, it's never failed me and I can't thank it enough. I can't neglect it any longer though; I'd been holding off on repairs for this moment. I suppose when you take a truck that sat for 16 years in someone's backyard and then daily drive it for a couple years, you're going to run into some inevitable issues. It's time to address those and it's time to improve upon them.

I've rebuilt bikes, I've rebuilt motorcycles; it was only a matter of time until I got into rebuilding the big four wheelers.

I'm draining every fluid tonight. I'm hoping to have the engine out tomorrow. Pictures will be posted as progress is made.

Attachment 291437

I'll be building the engine and restoring the chassis. I'll also be body swapping and repainting the truck. All by myself.

Let me start off by saying that I have no idea what I'm in for.

crazed87bronco 08-08-2014 10:37 PM

Good luck on the build. Body swap The cab? Is it rusted out? Can't wait to see how this go's along.

trozei 08-08-2014 10:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by crazed87bronco (Post 14569302)
Good luck on the build. Body swap The cab? Is it rusted out? Can't wait to see how this go's along.

The box is off a '70 and that reflector being in the way of the bump is pissing me off, so I'm going to find a '69 box.

The cab is rusted out pretty freaking bad along the drip rail. Pair that with the roof dents from my hood flying up, the load shift dents on the back, and the right rear quarter that could use a small patch, and it'd be cheaper to replace the cab. I've already picked one up off a member in Idaho.

Attachment 291436

Early 1969 08-09-2014 06:23 AM

Good luck on your truck project. Mine would have been fun if I didn't have to sandblast every square inch of the truck, inside and out. That will burn you out big time. Hope you don't have to do that.

yetiman38237 08-09-2014 07:38 AM

good luck!

351Cleveland C4 08-09-2014 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by trozei (Post 14569262)
It's got the Flex-O-Matic springs and absolutely zero luxuries. Manual steering, manual brakes, no radio, no AC, no nothing you could ever want. And you know what? I love it for that.

and thanks to emissions testing that I can't pass, I can't re-insure the truck.

I suppose when you take a truck that sat for 16 years in someone's backyard and then daily drive it for a couple years, you're going to run into some inevitable issues. It's time to address those and it's time to improve upon them.

This describes me and mine too. (But I do have a radio.)

Emissions is what prompted me to start on my engine. It wouldn't pass. (Afterward I realize that it was probably just the carb) but it was well worn anyway, so a rebuild was a good thing for it.

Mine also sat for 17-18 years. I did a lot of work on it before I started driving it again, and I'm still working on it. (And I always will be)

So what are your plans for the engine? Bore it, plane it, cam, intake and exhaust?

Best of luck to you, Jackson.

trozei 08-09-2014 11:37 AM

Just woke up. Borrowed a hoist from my girlfriend's dad. Going to try and get the hood and front clip off alone. Should be interesting...

Originally Posted by Early 1969 (Post 14569626)
Good luck on your truck project. Mine would have been fun if I didn't have to sandblast every square inch of the truck, inside and out. That will burn you out big time. Hope you don't have to do that.

Everything will be sandblasted. I am doing this right. Anything I've ever rebuilt has been about the details.

Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4 (Post 14569751)
So what are your plans for the engine? Bore it, plane it, cam, intake and exhaust?

Camshaft + springs + lifters
Roller rockers
Solid timing gears
Spark plugs + wires of the fancy variety
Custom tuned distributor
Aeromotive electronic fuel system
Aluminum radiator
Head off a 240 + port and polish + milled down a bit + oversized valves
Carburetor
Intake manifold
Exhaust
Hardened pushrods

My bottom end is in perfect shape as far as I can tell from any test I've done, so if I can, I'll leave it. That decision may change though as I wouldn't mind some higher compression pistons.

JEFFFAFA 08-09-2014 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by trozei (Post 14569262)

https://i.imgur.com/c2J5VqY.jpg

I'll be building the engine and restoring the chassis. I'll also be body swapping and repainting the truck. All by myself.

Well,let me tell you Tro. I won't say "good luck" because I know you won't need any. Besides the fact there are many (myself included) on this forum that will help you out any way we can, I caught in the very beginning you have the intellegence and experience far beyond your years. I remember you gave credit for this to your Dad. I am looking forward to watching your build. And on the carb, which one you want to use? If it's a Holley let me know. I'll buy a core off ebay. Build it for you. And donate it to your build. The only thing I ask in return is at the completion of this build, return to the site of the above pic. Take the same exact picture with you in front of your completed truck. What a way to end a thread!!!!!!!:-X22

arctic y block 08-09-2014 01:01 PM

Subscribing.

JEFFFAFA 08-09-2014 01:08 PM

DITTO. Me too.

arctic y block 08-09-2014 01:13 PM

Sounds like the youngen knows what he wants and how to get it Jeff. I love builds like
this. Maybe there is hope for the world as long as we have old Fords around for the
Young to lust after instead of Meth. :-jammin

JEFFFAFA 08-09-2014 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by arctic y block (Post 14570236)
Sounds like the youngen knows what he wants and how to get it Jeff. I love builds like
this. Maybe there is hope for the world as long as we have old Fords around for the
Young to lust after instead of Meth. :-jammin

I COULDN'T AGREE MORE. If there were more like young Tro we'd be far better off now-a-days. I'd like to meet his Dad and shake his hand. And keeping the old Fords on the road is mucho importantay.

Rasputin53 08-09-2014 01:49 PM

That's exactly what I like about my F350. No radio, just hot air from the wing windows, the motor chugging away and the 'click-chunk' of gears meshing. Puts a smile on my face that will take surgery to remove.

trozei 08-09-2014 01:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA (Post 14570200)
And on the carb, which one you want to use? If it's a Holley let me know. I'll buy a core off ebay. Build it for you. And donate it to your build. The only thing I ask in return is at the completion of this build, return to the site of the above pic. Take the same exact picture with you in front of your completed truck. What a way to end a thread!!!!!!!:-X22

Jeff, I can't thank you enough for the offer. I bought a Holley 250 2v, but I'm now realizing that's not the way I want to go. I'm now after a Holley 390 4v. I was just going to buy a new one and a tuning kit for it and tinker away with a few dyno runs, but if you've got extra time on your hands I have no problems with accepting this offer. My only issue though that I want the carburetor to look brand new. I am extremely picky about how things look. If that won't be possible on your end, I'll buy a new one and ship it your way for you to tune. You know how to contact me.

Anyway, on with the build. My friends decided it was too nice of a day out to help me pull my hood off, so I tackled it myself. This sure wins the pain-in-the-ass-of-the-year award of 2014. And I thought it was annoying doing it with a helping hand...

Attachment 291431

Always bag and tag your bolts. You'll thank yourself later.

Attachment 291434

Currently working on pulling the front clip and disconnecting the engine from everything.

flyboy2610 08-09-2014 03:47 PM

Looks like you're off to a great start! I like that bike in the bed of your truck in the first pic. When I was 18 (longer ago than I like to think about) I had a 1972 Kawasaki S2 350 2 stroke triple. Sounded like 10,000 hacked off bumblebee's and it was a real blast to ride. I sure miss that bike!