Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   door linkage (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1328996-door-linkage.html)

Jarryd 08-05-2014 08:17 AM

door linkage

94 single cab f150.

The door linkage keeps locking up on me and I can't pull the door handle. The handle moves a little but won't activate the latch. I had this happen once before and broke the handle off. I replaced the handle and it worked for a couple months and it's frozen again.

I read something about the older linkage being a rod style rather than a cable and I didn't know if these parts could be purchased new rather than digging around through old possibly worn out parts.

Any advice?

Jarryd 08-12-2014 02:31 PM

Bumping this. I had freed it up enough to use but the handle snapped off again. Something is seriously wrong and I don't know what to fix our replace.

bashby 08-12-2014 03:34 PM

It's not clear what you're asking. Are the parts available for the older style without a cable? Probably but they won't fit your truck. You have cable operated latches.

Redneckfordf2502002 08-12-2014 04:15 PM

Actually bashby if he were to buy the latches, and all the rods he would be able to swap it over to it. If I were him I would go to the junkyard and buy the whole door from an 80-91 truck and take the guts from it and put it in his doors.
Trav

Jarryd 08-18-2014 05:33 PM

If I grab a whole door off a truck, it's $44 at the junk yard but if I take the time to disassemble there, it will be $10. I figure I can just rip the door panel off and use a sawzall to cut out the section of door I need and unbolt the good stuff.

SteelHorse4x4 08-18-2014 08:47 PM

I would buy new latches ( or very GOOD used ones) and NEW cables. The cables stretch over time, and the latches wear also, causing you to have to pull farther and farther until the handle hits its stop which breaks before the cable.

Jarryd 08-18-2014 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by SteelHorse4x4 (Post 14594130)
I would buy new latches ( or very GOOD used ones) and NEW cables. The cables stretch over time, and the latches wear also, causing you to have to pull farther and farther until the handle hits its stop which breaks before the cable.

I'm going with the rod style that doesn't stretch. I'll make it work.

Redneckfordf2502002 08-19-2014 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jarryd (Post 14593616)
If I grab a whole door off a truck, it's $44 at the junk yard but if I take the time to disassemble there, it will be $10. I figure I can just rip the door panel off and use a sawzall to cut out the section of door I need and unbolt the good stuff.

Please only do that if the door is dented to bad to be repaired or used or if it is rusted beyond repair. You don't know how many people go looking for nice straight doors in my area to find somebody decided to take a sawzall to the door to get something simple like a door latch.

To steel horse if he goes to the rod style instead of the cable style he would be replacing it with a much better designed deal.
Trav

Jarryd 08-29-2014 08:22 AM

That looks like it would work but the link they provided is for 97-04. Will they work on my truck?

I may still be better off doing a rod conversion.