Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   Need advice (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1328521-need-advice.html)

Backwoods351 08-02-2014 01:41 PM

Need advice

Hey guys, it's been a bit but, I need some help. I have now started to drive my truck and noticed a fuel leak. It's coming from the fuel pump. My question is what's involved in replaceing it and how hard is it.

bryanlindborg600 08-02-2014 01:52 PM

its not terrible..you need an 1-1/4 wrench some say you need to bend it but i did not have to bend mine i had no trouble with a straight wrench..just remove the fuel bowl and go after it. be very careful when you pull it out! only remove straight up!! you dont want to pop the little tappet off in the motor.. i used the engine to push the pump up after i removed the 2 bolts holding it down! i recommend you get the new crush washers that go on with the banjo bolt. riffraff diesel has them! get any pump you can find at the best price they are all made by the same manufacturer so just find the cheapest one you can. i went to napa.. forget the price but it wasnt too bad..

bryanlindborg600 08-02-2014 03:18 PM

i should add i turned the motor by hand to get the cam to its highest position to add in lifting the pump or at least help stopping the tappet from dropping in the engine if it did fall.... dont fire it with the key to rotate..

Backwoods351 08-02-2014 04:59 PM

Ok thanks man. I ordered the the washer/gasket and I went ahead and ordered new fuel hose for the pump and bowel. Got it all from riffraff.

Backwoods351 08-06-2014 10:17 PM

Sorry for no update yet I have been busy at work a lot, I did receive my order from RiffRaff. Tomorrow I will Go ahead and do the work. I will take pics of everything i do and post them. On Saturday I will be removing the utility bed and putting a regular bed on it, so i will post pics of that as well. I do have one question, do i need to remove the turbo to do this replacement, or can it be done with it on?

stainlessstroker95 08-06-2014 10:26 PM

You do not have to remove the turbo to take out the fuel pump.

bryanlindborg600 08-06-2014 10:28 PM

do the job with the turbo in place, thats why some bend the wrench to get a good grab on the bolt.. the hardest part will be getting the banjo bolt back in with the washer..i used a dap of grease to hold the washer in place well i fit it all together!! no big! you'll be done in an hr!:-X22

Backwoods351 08-07-2014 12:15 AM

Thanks for the help guys, I was worried about that. But I will be able to handle it. Like I said I will post pics up of everything. I'm heading to bed, but before I go one more question and it's trans related. My truck has 250000 on it, and has the e40d trans. I want to drop the trans pan and valve body and clean it good and put it back with a new filter and fulid. I don't know the history on this truck. Will this cause a problem or will the truck benefit from this?

Backwoods351 08-08-2014 05:32 PM

Ok everyone I got my pump installed, took me 3hrs( I cleaned a lot). I want to thank everyone who helped with my questions. I'll put some pics up for ya to see.