Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Bolt-on power (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1327472-bolt-on-power.html)

PULLORBUST 08-03-2014 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by joesluckyseven (Post 14536965)
Hello folks.

I am looking for some input on performance and mpg improvements in my 91 F-250 with 460 and E4OD.

I am interested primarily in low-end torque for the purpose of towing my boat and trailers around the mountains.

I am considering Hedman headers, x-pipe, etc for exhaust. 2 1/2 inches sound right?
I am also considering a high performance air intake/filter combo from K&N or Banks.
I have done some research on computer upgrades from companies like Hypertech or Jet. Are the benefits of a chip or programmer worth it?
I have also heard good things about switching to an HEI distributor as far as freed up power and MPG improvements.
When I come back later to do a rebuild, I will invest in camshaft, porting, etc. But I don't need a rebuild right now (only 44,000 miles) so I'm interested in best bang-for-the-buck, bolt-on help.
I'm not looking to race my truck, lol, I just want what towing and efficiency help I can get.

Just an observation about something. I work for a company that builds UPS trucks. They are powered by regular old 6L GM engines but they are mated to a HD Allison Trans. I'm guessing similar to what the Duramax trucks get. It isn't a terribly HD engine.
To help meet the GVWR the intake tubing is nearly 4" in diameter. The air box is truly huge and at least double what I've ever seen in a normal pickup application including diesels.
The exhaust is huge as well. Especially considering a non turbo gasoline application. I'd guess the exhaust at 3.5"

As for the 460.....I don't have real world experience yet but have been reading a bunch. Opening up the exhaust and intake should help. Don't expect huge gains though.
One of the sites I was reading a guy gained 100rwhp and 2mpg with an engine package a guy put together for him. In two different vans. One a 4x4 the other a delivery van. I found his site looking for max effort iron head 460 heads.
Sounds like 700+dyno proven HP is possible with more common iron castings.....Even more with SCJ heads. (that's the direction of interest I'm going with my 460 build.....800hp SCJ head 545 stroker)

bigmacmondayf250 08-03-2014 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad (Post 14554590)
That article is such a load of BS it is not even funny. I have supecharger an I am not putting out 343hp. SO i will say their CLAIMS of full milage are BS oo

I believe the HP numbers are at the crank, not the wheels. Also as I said, I know for a fact it is legit because i did it myself and went from 8mpg to 14.5 mixed town/hwy and a considerable increase in hp/tq. I didn't dyno it but definitely a large increase.

BruteFord 08-03-2014 10:13 PM

If I had a EFI 460, some money, and wanted more out of it without opening it up I'd put some L&L headers on it, big exhaust, a whipple/screw type supercharger, and cowl induction.

I'd think that would net a rather good HP increase and maybe a little better MPG given the better/cooler flow and that the whipple has a bypass to reduce drag.

I wouldn't say nothing will increase MPG, but very little can be done with the engine without a rebuild to increase MPG. Synthetics, ignition upgrades, higher temp thermostat, new injectors, and cowl intake is about it, small gains but gains. But some can be done to the truck, again synthetics, the right tires, but most of all aero mods. Air damn, under pan, tonneau cover, lower front end, etc.

Diesel_Brad 08-04-2014 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by bigmacmondayf250 (Post 14555866)
I believe the HP numbers are at the crank, not the wheels. Also as I said, I know for a fact it is legit because i did it myself and went from 8mpg to 14.5 mixed town/hwy and a considerable increase in hp/tq. I didn't dyno it but definitely a large increase.

That is funny, because I have everything they had done BEFORE my supercharger, but I had better gears(3.55) and a factory OD trans and the best I could ever get on the highway was 13. So like I said, BS

GuitarJesus 08-04-2014 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad (Post 14556316)
That is funny, because I have everything they had done BEFORE my supercharger, but I had better gears(3.55) and a factory OD trans and the best I could ever get on the highway was 13. So like I said, BS

Brad, weren't they working with a Bricknose with a C6? If they were I can see all those improvements giving some major help, especially with the first generation efi heads, although I dont know about those numbers they post.

What kind of HP/Torque increase did your Vortec Charger give you for that 460? I'm guessing at the expense of 4-5mpg

Diesel_Brad 08-04-2014 08:33 PM

Brick nose with No OD C6 and NO lock up T/C which is HUGE

I have a .76 OD and it is 100% "lock up" since it is a stick. You can't get much better than that.

I just came back from Carlisle and got 11.5mpg 90% high-way 10% RACING around town
Before the S/C it would get 13mpg as a high with 100% highway

GuitarJesus 08-04-2014 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad (Post 14558249)
Brick nose with No OD C6 and NO lock up T/C which is HUGE

I have a .76 OD and it is 100% "lock up" since it is a stick. You can't get much better than that.

I just came back from Carlisle and got 11.5mpg 90% high-way 10% RACING around town
Before the S/C it would get 13mpg as a high with 100% highway

How much HP/Torque do you think the super added?

Diesel_Brad 08-04-2014 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by GuitarJesus (Post 14558292)
How much HP/Torque do you think the super added?

Right from Vortech.....
7.5L: Increase HP from 230 to 311 and torque from 385 lb./ft. to 450 lb./ft.

GuitarJesus 08-04-2014 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad (Post 14558311)
Right from Vortech.....
7.5L: Increase HP from 230 to 311 and torque from 385 lb./ft. to 450 lb./ft.

Damn. Ported heads and a nice exhaust and thats a pulling animal

Diesel_Brad 08-04-2014 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by GuitarJesus (Post 14558320)
Damn. Ported heads and a nice exhaust and thats a pulling animal

Yeah, heads are on the list and the full header back exhaust is already done