Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Dash Cam - anyone? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1327015-dash-cam-anyone.html)

Tugly 01-04-2015 11:14 AM

Maybe a mount on the top corner of the driver's door - looking over your shoulder. Getting a cable there would be tricky, or at least visible.

M-S-G 01-04-2015 11:22 AM

Eprance / Ambarella / whatever latest knockoff is in this package cameras are LESS reliable than the 6.0. They come with 30 day warranty and I'm on my 2nd replacement. (got this garbage as a gift). Isn't there some REAL electronics company making these? Like Sony, Panasonic or LG ? Top 100 cameras on amazon are almost 100% china no-name.

bigb56 01-04-2015 12:59 PM

It appears that the dash cam market is flooded with choices, and some of the reportedly good ones can be tricky to buy without getting a counterfeit unit even from sellers like Amazon. I found this: The Best Dash Cam | The Wirecutter site which explains a lot, and would suggest we all read it and follow the links to help everyone determine what to buy. The writer brings up a few points, like features that are not worthwhile or even desirable. Their #1 pick has mixed reviews on Amazon due to the fact that getting a non-counterfeit one seems to be a crap shoot. I am leaning toward the Garmin unit without GPS.

The way I see it there is quite a bit of research to be done and the more who chip in and chime in the easier it will be.

Tugly 01-04-2015 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by M-S-G (Post 14965052)
...Isn't there some REAL electronics company making these? Like Sony, Panasonic or LG ? Top 100 cameras on amazon are almost 100% china no-name.

The Powerucc PANORAMA ⅡS is pretty real. It's not made in China, it's made in South Korea (LG is in South Korea). The optical pick-up is not a no-name, it is Sony (which I really like), and it even has a Sony touch screen. The price of the base unit reflects a little more effort went into designing/making the device - and they have a real website with support (in English), like firmware updates.

BadDogKuzz 01-05-2015 01:12 PM

Thank you to all for their input on the subject awhile back I was going to buy a cheap dash cam and I am glad now that I didn't. I'm still on the fence on which one to get or don't have the money to get the one I would like. I seen this thread and have been following it closely. I'm sorry I am not bright enough to have any input but I am very thankful to have guys like you to do so.
Thanks to all that have!!:-drink

petrokiller 01-05-2015 06:54 PM

Radio Shack had a camera from Cobra. Clerk said they had not had any returned. Think it was $100

M-S-G 01-06-2015 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by petrokiller (Post 14968959)
Radio Shack had a camera from Cobra. Clerk said they had not had any returned. Think it was $100

Interesting. Here it is.