Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Anyone tried the new Titan Spare Tire Auxiliary Fuel System yet? (http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1326917-anyone-tried-the-new-titan-spare-tire-auxiliary-fuel-system-yet.html)

sobiloff 07-24-2014 12:33 AM

Anyone tried the new Titan Spare Tire Auxiliary Fuel System yet?
 
I've been wanting to add more fuel capacity to my truck ever since I got it, but I didn't want the reduced clearance from the Titan underbody tanks, and I didn't want to give up any bed space with an in-bed tank.

It looks like Titan's come out with a tank that replaces the spare tire (which I was already thinking of relocating) which doesn't reduce your ground clearance. https://titanfueltanks.com/shop/staf...-2014-4020208/

I was wondering if anyone had one of these yet and could comment on it? Pricey ($1,800), but very attractive. I'd love to know more...

Tofan 07-24-2014 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sobiloff (Post 14529965)
I've been wanting to add more fuel capacity to my truck ever since I got it, but I didn't want the reduced clearance from the Titan underbody tanks, and I didn't want to give up any bed space with an in-bed tank.

It looks like Titan's come out with a tank that replaces the spare tire (which I was already thinking of relocating) which doesn't reduce your ground clearance. <https://titanfueltanks.com/shop/stafs/new-titan-spare-tire-auxiliary-fuel-system-for-ford-2008-2014-4020208/>

I was wondering if anyone had one of these yet and could comment on it? Pricey ($1,800), but very attractive. I'd love to know more...

The 50 Gallon tank hangs 1 inch below the stock one, not much of a difference that would affect anything I do anyways.

I am also interested in this fuel tank, 30 extra gallons for a total of 80 gallons and no bed space taken?!?! Lets see, on the highway I could go 1500 miles(100 mile gap, assuming 20MPG HWY ONLY) and not have to refuel!!! This would be super helpful for the people who tow 5ers, where they could just put the spare tire somewhere inside the 5th wheel. Looks like a very promising product that I will buy after I buy the 50 gallon tank! Reps sent.

brmccolley 07-24-2014 09:14 PM

My wife would kill me if I got this
 
It's bad enough that I have an 850 mile range. She couldn't last another 400 miles. Although it would be handy... The spare isn't the right size anyway.

Irelands child 07-24-2014 10:01 PM

Looked good --- until I saw 1800 bucks (plus, I assume, shipping). Phew!!! And for only 30 more gallons.....

BigF350 07-25-2014 12:09 PM

Does anyone know if the 44 gallon excursion tank still fits in the spare wheel spot on these chassis'? I know that used to be the cheapest/easiest way to increase capacity.

sdetweil 07-25-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irelands child (Post 14531939)
Looked good --- until I saw 1800 bucks (plus, I assume, shipping). Phew!!! And for only 30 more gallons.....

yeh!.. I gave up and added a 60 gal in bed toolbox tank for $750 total.
still saved $500 over the 62gal titan longbed tank. and have 98 gal total capacity

| the titan longbed tank has gone up in price, now $1403 amazon, or $1517 summit racing.(7/26/14)

ruschejj 07-26-2014 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdetweil (Post 14533255)
yeh!.. I gave up and added a 60 gal in bed toolbox tank for $750 total.
still saved $500 over the 62gal titan longbed tank. and have 98 gal total capacity

50 gal in bed transfer flow tank system for me, got it off Craig's list. I'm with you detweil, about $800 for total of 76 gal capacity for me. Love it

sobiloff 07-26-2014 09:52 AM

Maybe if I'd gone with a long bed I'd be willing to give up some space, but not with my short bed. I off-road a lot, too, so I don't want the reduced ground clearance from a replacement tank, either. Putting a tank in place of the spare tire is a great idea for folks who've changed wheel/tire sizes, and it moves some weight to the rear to balance the truck a bit.

AeroTanks makes a steel 40-gallon tank for about half the cost of Titan's:
AeroTanks - Ford FSD40

However, it fills from inside the wheel well (which seems hard to get to and prone to lots of dirt) and doesn't mention anything about how it transfers the fuel. From the pictures it looks like there's a sender wire for fuel level, but no further indication on how it operates. Also, it looks like it hangs low, compared with the Titan (which makes sense since it holds 10 gallons more).

Sure wish some other penguin would be the first to jump in the water... :-)

Karl4Cat 07-26-2014 09:57 AM

I like them both and have been looking for a short bed solution too. Thanks for posting! My only issue would be what to do with my spare as I still have stock size tires and would like to retain it... Hmmmm....

sobiloff 07-26-2014 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl4Cat (Post 14535104)
My only issue would be what to do with my spare as I still have stock size tires and would like to retain it... Hmmmm....

There are lots of options, depending on how you use your truck. Titan even makes a simple one:

https://titanfueltanks.com/shop/truc...re-tire-buddy/

You can mount it in a basket on your roof, on a swing-out on your rear bumper, to the side of your bed with something like Titan's Tire Buddy, or in the middle of the bed like the desert racers do.

Karl4Cat 07-26-2014 11:44 AM

Unfortunately, of all those options, the only one that works is where it currently lives... My 5er hitch lives in the bed all summer so while RVing I could put it in the toyhauler's garage but what about when I'm home. Don't feel like moving it around. Then in the winter, I cover the bed with a folding tonneau so I suppose it could be in the bed then. Not really what I had in mind though.

ruschejj 07-26-2014 12:42 PM

Hey Rodney, if it's really something you feel strongly about there's a lot of wasted space in the truck that could be utilized if you can fabricate your own tank, or have someone do it.

All the space in the bed above and fore/aft the wheel humps
Lots of space between the frame rails and the body/door sills
Of course, all the space between the cab and your hitch.

Karl4Cat 07-26-2014 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruschejj (Post 14535369)
Hey Rodney, if it's really something you feel strongly about there's a lot of wasted space in the truck that could be utilized if you can fabricate your own tank, or have someone do it.

All the space in the bed above and fore/aft the wheel humps
Lots of space between the frame rails and the body/door sills
Of course, all the space between the cab and your hitch.


I didn't want to loose bed space which is why I haven't moved on an in bed model. As I said in a previous thread on larger tanks, I've been waiting for years for someone to make a larger tank to replace the existing tank on short bed extended cab trucks but I guess they don't sell enough of that configuration anymore to make R&D worth it. The spare tire is one step closer. I do like it, but I also like my spare there... LOL. Perhaps you are right about getting one fabricated. I know it will cost a fortune though and as soon as it's done and installed, someone will come out with a factory replacement one! It always seems to work that way... I am getting tired of worrying about finding a fuel station that has diesel while towing my RV. Interstates are easy, but often we are going to some remote place in New England with gas only stations. On our last trip to Lake Champlain, I got off the highway a few exits early as I was getting low. Well, low and behold there was a power outage and the few diesel pumps I saw were SOL. By the time I got to a working pump it was backed up for 30 minutes and was a single pump in a tiny station on the wrong side of my truck in the back corner of the lot. You should have seen me backing my 40 foot rig out of that mess. On a positive note, I took one for the team and did a test for all you low fuel worriers. I went 11 miles on "0 miles to empty" and when I filled up I had almost 3 gallons left. My last truck, an 09 250 V10 had closer to 5 gallons left when I hit 0 miles to empty. Anyways, thanks for the ideas guys... Reps sent to ruschejj and sobiloff...

sdetweil 07-26-2014 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl4Cat (Post 14535508)
I didn't want to loose bed space which is why I haven't moved on an in bed model. As I said in a previous thread on larger tanks, I've been waiting for years for someone to make a larger tank to replace the existing tank on short bed extended cab trucks but I guess they don't sell enough of that configuration anymore to make R&D worth it. The spare tire is one step closer. I do like it, but I also like my spare there... LOL. Perhaps you are right about getting one fabricated. I know it will cost a fortune though and as soon as it's done and installed, someone will come out with a factory replacement one! It always seems to work that way... I am getting tired of worrying about finding a fuel station that has diesel while towing my RV. Interstates are easy, but often we are going to some remote place in New England with gas only stations. On our last trip to Lake Champlain, I got off the highway a few exits early as I was getting low. Well, low and behold there was a power outage and the few diesel pumps I saw were SOL. By the time I got to a working pump it was backed up for 30 minutes and was a single pump in a tiny station on the wrong side of my truck in the back corner of the lot. You should have seen me backing my 40 foot rig out of that mess. On a positive note, I took one for the team and did a test for all you low fuel worriers. I went 11 miles on "0 miles to empty" and when I filled up I had almost 3 gallons left. My last truck, an 09 250 V10 had closer to 5 gallons left when I hit 0 miles to empty. Anyways, thanks for the ideas guys... Reps sent to ruschejj and sobiloff...

I tried a 60 gal tank only 13inches of bed space.. but too tall for using a cover. (tank was ok, but the filler neck & cap was 2.5 inches above the bed rail) but you could take it out in the non-towing times.. only weighs 60 lbs. mine had to fit below the cover.

ruschejj 07-27-2014 07:39 AM

Believe me, I know it can be frustrating and I'm not trying to be a wise a&$ about using bed space. I've hated losing my bed space but I've chosen my "poison" as the most practical way to have more fuel.

My next truck is going to be a long bed and I plan on keeping my fuel tank and adding side mounting storage box. It's tough nowadays with so much stuff having to be mounted between the frame rails for safety reasons, and I understand the need for fuel tanks to be protected. That 26 gallon tank has got to be the single most frustrating decision ford has made in the last decade.

Im a fan of those steel Gerry cans and maybe you should check them out and find a way to stow them to suit your needs. They're not ideal for pouring into the truck tank but they sure do stow nicely for travel.

I know I can't solve your issue, just throwing ideas out.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.