Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum268/)
-   -   Generator light staying on (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1326654-generator-light-staying-on.html)

78 & 87 Super Cab 07-22-2014 01:48 PM

Generator light staying on

Fired up My '59 today, so I could see how it moved back and forth thru the gears. The generator light is staying on while the engine is running. What is the problem,and how can I fix it?

Maltman 07-22-2014 03:33 PM

unplug it...kidding

sounds like low volt/amps from battery-is it through all RPMs?

do you have a volt or amp meter in truck? someone else will be along to tell you how to test without these if you do not have in truck

Joe

Originally Posted by 78 & 87 Super Cab (Post 14526183)
Fired up My '59 today, so I could see how it moved back and forth thru the gears. The generator light is staying on while the engine is running. What is the problem,and how can I fix it?

78 & 87 Super Cab 07-22-2014 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Maltman (Post 14526366)
unplug it...kidding

sounds like low volt/amps from battery-is it through all RPMs?

do you have a volt or amp meter in truck? someone else will be along to tell you how to test without these if you do not have in truck

Joe

Yes, it is thru all RPM'S, battery is only 3 months old. Just has the idiot light, no gauge. I just can't get a "charge" out of electrical problems

Damifiknow 07-22-2014 06:20 PM

Check all the connections and look for broken wires. Not uncommon for wires to dry out and crack on these old vehicles.

78 & 87 Super Cab 07-23-2014 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Damifiknow (Post 14526649)
Check all the connections and look for broken wires. Not uncommon for wires to dry out and crack on these old vehicles.

I had to replace a couple cracked ends while I had it off when I was cleaning and painting the engine. are there any fusible links on these? I'll check the wiring over again for any more damage

hiball3985 07-23-2014 07:36 AM

Do you know that the generator and regulator was good before you worked on it? After removing and repairing the wire ends did you polarize the generator?

78 & 87 Super Cab 07-23-2014 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by hiball3985 (Post 14527815)
Do you know that the generator and regulator was good before you worked on it? After removing and repairing the wire ends did you polarize the generator?

The generator had been overhauled as it had the sticker from a rebuild shop, and regular appeared to be a recent one. I did not polarize it,after repairing the ends, how do I go about doing that?

Tedster9 07-23-2014 08:17 AM

On a Ford, disconnect the Field and Batt wires from the terminals at the regulator and momentarily touch them together. You should see a healthy blue spark. That's it.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

78 & 87 Super Cab 07-23-2014 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tedster9 (Post 14527886)
On a Ford, disconnect the Field and Batt wires from the terminals at the regulator and momentarily touch them together. You should see a healthy blue spark. That's it.

Ok, I will do that,thanks. To be sure, this is done with the engine off?

Tedster9 07-23-2014 11:38 AM

Yes, engine OFF. Doubt this is the problem, though?

78 & 87 Super Cab 07-23-2014 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tedster9 (Post 14528320)
Yes, engine OFF. Doubt this is the problem, though?

I'll find out next time I fire her up :)

Vsanzbajo 07-23-2014 03:49 PM

I have the same issue, but my truck was changed to an alternator. Not sure when, but my light also stays on. Is that normal? What can I do to fix?
Thanks in advance.

Tedster9 07-23-2014 05:33 PM

Probably better off starting a new thread, two or more issues and different systems might get confusing.

Tedster9 07-23-2014 05:52 PM

Never say never, but polarization is normally only required if the generator itself has been disassembled or maybe if it has sat for a very long time.

Simply disconnecting the battery, or replacing a regulator, isn't cause for that. It's important to use the technique for the type of generator involved. Ford is different than Chevy, etc. The method outlined is from the 64 Ford Truck shop manual. It goes on to warn that other methods may burn contact points in the regulator.

78 & 87 Super Cab 07-23-2014 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Tedster9 (Post 14529107)
Never say never, but polarization is normally only required if the generator itself has been disassembled or maybe if it has sat for a very long time.

Simply disconnecting the battery, or replacing a regulator, isn't cause for that. It's important to use the technique for the type of generator involved. Ford is different than Chevy, etc. The method outlined is from the 64 Ford Truck shop manual. It goes on to warn that other methods may burn contact points in the regulator.

My truck sat for at least 4 years in a farmer's field, so maybe polarizing it will do the trick