Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.2L V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum206/)
-   -   13k tow with 5-star tune and 3.73 gears (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1325435-13k-tow-with-5-star-tune-and-3-73-gears.html)

kerm7807 07-15-2014 09:17 AM

13k tow with 5-star tune and 3.73 gears

So I was worried about towing my new fifth wheel without the 4.30 rear end. I shouldn't have been. I've seen the posts from Denny and a few others towing heavy. I got the 5-star tune and just started with the 87 octane performance/tow. Holy **** what a difference. My truck is a 2012 F350 SRW CC Lariat. Like so many others I wanted the 4.3, but dealers don't stock them. I just bought a 40' Bighorn fifth wheel that weighs in at 13k dry. Towed it home on friday and was amazed. I shut off 6th gear just like I always have towing. I live in Vermont and had a 300 mile tow home from below Boston. It towed amazing. No struggle whatsoever. It had to down shift in the mountains, but I never even had to approach 4000 rpms like so many that think you have to scream it to pull this load. In fact at 70mph I was just barely touching the throttle in fifth in the flatter areas. I love this truck and no I don't need a diesel like so many tell me. I don't think they realize how capable this truck is. I dropped a half mile to the gallon from my 36' travel trailer that I traded in.

David7.3 07-15-2014 09:31 AM

the diesel would give you so much compression braking, especially in vermont they have the run away ramps for a reason. I own 40 acre's in wallingford and im everywhere in that state, I got a 99 f-350 7.3 PSD with a Banks exhaust brake, i dont even have to touch the brakes coming down those mountain roads. How did you do with the fiddle heads this year? Heard everything was off. Enjoy your summer or are you still in mud season always mix that up. think we got it worse here in Jersey than you did up there this winter. Enjoy the fresh air

kerm7807 07-15-2014 09:41 AM

The 6.2 holds back like crazy too. My travel trailer weighed 10k loaded up and we just got back from out west in the Rockies. 2 places we climbed to 10,000 ft and it was swithbacks at an 8% grade coming down, 20mph. I hardly used my brakes in any of it. I used manual mode and used my gearing and was so impressed. I don't have any of that problem here. This is practically flat country. LOL.
Fiddle heads, yuck. I don't know to be honest. This summer is so so. Pretty wet still. Last winter wasn't bad. Cold, but the worst weather we got was 4" of ice in one storm in December. That ice was brutal and lasted all winter. Kinda hard to get rid of. I think you guys did get worse over all than us though. Have a good summer!

mattmck 07-15-2014 11:55 PM

Good to hear. I have a 2014 F250 4x4 SC Lariat FX.4 3.73, with stock 20 inch tires. I'm wondering if I can tow a fifth wheel 11,000 dry wt. 2000 hitch wt. I tow about 6 times a year from CT to VT.

kerm7807 07-16-2014 08:19 AM

Definitely not a concern for you pulling, but your pin weight may be an issue. That's why I went with the F350. It gives me a 4000lb payload. I'm not sure what yours is, but it's going to squat your truck. Check into your payload and you may need to add airbags or something.
Oh, and I have the 18" wheels. I don't think your 20's change anything, just smaller sidewalls.