Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.7L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum205/)
-   -   Planning (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1325305-planning.html)

Dascro58 07-14-2014 03:49 PM

Planning

We are in the process of planning a two week vacation pulling the camper in my sig. For these type "excursions" I usually plan our fueling stops for easy access convenience based on how far I can get without running too low on fuel. I like to be no lower than a 1/4 tank.

Since I'll have no first hand towing mileage experience with my new truck when we head out I was wondering if I can get a confirmation on my estimates. I've read a bunch of posts here related to 6.7 towing mileage and feel I should get around 12 mpg which is what I will use for calculating range and fuel stops.

Sound about right and on the safe side?

Thanks,
Dave

Ltngdrvr 07-14-2014 04:29 PM

Depends on the wind as much as anything, your mileage may drop down in the 9's if you get a big head wind.

As to planning fuel stops, Murphy USA(the places at many walmart stores) has a discount deal going on fuel until Sept. 8, 10 cents a gallon off with a walmart gift card and 15 cents a gallon off with a walmart credit card. Worth looking out for, been saving me a lot of money on my fuel.

System 07-14-2014 04:31 PM

I get around 11-12 mpg on flat land and 8-10 in the hills with 15-16k behind me so I'm sure you will beat that with your TT...

I also go down to 0 miles to empty but that's a debate for another thread... #bigfoot ;)

Leonandlisa 07-14-2014 05:28 PM

I just got back from a 2500 mile trip up to Wyoming, I have a 14,000 lbs 5th wheel in tow. I averaged 9, as others said wind makes a big difference but so will speed. I went 75 on the flats and 65 in the mountains to get the mileage above. I know the guys that go slower seem to do better than me, or at least they say they do.

Leon

wingedone 07-14-2014 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Leonandlisa (Post 14506986)
I just got back from a 2500 mile trip up to Wyoming, I have a 14,000 lbs 5th wheel in tow. I averaged 9, as others said wind makes a big difference but so will speed. I went 75 on the flats and 65 in the mountains to get the mileage above. I know the guys that go slower seem to do better than me, or at least they say they do.

Leon

We do. We also know that ST tires are rated for 65. OP should keep that in mind.

Averaging 63 mph on highways, 9-12 depending on wind and hills. Prefer the side roads and the higher mpg.

Blapensee 07-14-2014 06:18 PM

that kind of planning would hurt my head trying to calculate milage and taking that and trying to plan what gas stations id stop at LOL

when i go on excursions i like to take two 5 gallon diesel cans with me just in case i run into another situation like last summer driving in nevada after i passed a gas station i came about a helpful sign posted on the side of the highway that read "110 miles to next exit" :-X22

senix 07-14-2014 07:20 PM

read my thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-2013-drw.html

I always plan on 7 mpg and I have the Pilot/flying J RV advantage card and get 6 cents off per gallon.

You can fill right up without going inside and paying first.

Plan on fuel stops at around 170 miles if I were you. When you get to 125 miles start looking.

wingedone 07-14-2014 07:29 PM

When we went out west last year, I planned every fuel stop, out and back. Google maps, Satellite worked great to see each planned stop, to check how and if I could get in and out with 46ft of trailers.

Dascro58 07-14-2014 07:35 PM

I've always found the people on this forum so helpful and this post proves it again.

Thank you all. The replies here are very helpful.

I've been towing campers of this size for about 5 years now and usually hang at 62 mph due to that being the sweet spot for my old gas engine truck and the ST tire ratings. I won't go above 65 mph now simply because of the ST tires.

Dave

Dascro58 07-14-2014 07:57 PM

Just finished reading all of Scott's (scenic) post he referenced above. Great info Scott. Thank you. And it sounds like a fun trip.

But it generated another question, albeit unrelated :). How do I get a weather map to display on the console screen of my new truck?

senix 07-14-2014 08:02 PM

I think you have to sign up for weather alerts.

Dakster 07-14-2014 08:26 PM

Do you have XM service with weather and fuel prices? It is spendy, but when i was in free trial mode I really liked it. I may even sign up since I am planning on a roundtrip and a half from Miami to Alaska.

If you do have it then hit the voice button and say weather map.

senix 07-14-2014 08:47 PM

I have a rand McNally RV gps that I use. It has weather. I don't worry so much about fuel prices as I try to fill up at truck stops.

azking_Ranch 07-14-2014 08:48 PM

Dascro58
To get the weather map on the Nav Screen push the button with the I, it will bring up the Sirius Travel Link one will be the weather. I use it alot this time of year here in Arizona.

RedHorse1 07-15-2014 07:34 AM

Our 5th weighs in at 12780#. Pulling on level ground I'm getting 12+ mpg. And as others have noted the wind has a big effect. I always use Tow-Haul. I use the cruise (set at 60mph) unless I get into some hills that cause it to start hunting for gears.
Have a fun and safe trip!