Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   steering column (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1324964-steering-column.html)

lilrobo 07-12-2014 04:17 PM

steering column

anyone have pics of there build on a steering column they did ,, i am ready to start mine and,i am going with a column shift not floor ,i would like see pics of your setup please

thanks guys

AXracer 07-12-2014 06:31 PM

If going column shift AFAIK you are going to need to go aftermarket column or later chevy column to shift your T350 without a lot of custom shifter mods. There aint a lot to see with either of those options since the shift tube is internal to the column.

lilrobo 07-12-2014 06:35 PM

ok i have been looking at flaming river and ididit ,, dont know if i can afford them ,, i want to get rid of my floor shift i will leave the key on dash ,, and you said a 14 or 15inch wheel right ? i will get something simple

thanks ,, i have been goggling pics

what length is best ?

AXracer 07-12-2014 09:12 PM

Length depends a lot on steering wheel dish, adapter thickness, seat back thickess preferred wheel distance and angle. I used a 30" Ididit column.

drptop70ss 07-12-2014 09:51 PM

Just about anything from the 50s to late 60s can be made to work. In the current build I am using a 65 cutlass column (was a column shift column but using a floor shift) which fits nicely. Next build, which will be column shift, I have a 64 caddy column I am going to try out.

lilrobo 07-13-2014 06:04 AM

send me a pics of yours ax ,, i just doing something simple ,, i have found some for less than 200 wheel is about 125 to 150

i am all about simple for sure

thanks

lilrobo 07-13-2014 07:01 AM

i am going on vacation in aug on the 16 , i want to order these things that way when i get back i will have them to work with,,, things needed

column
steering wheel
linkage ,, ( cable maybe )
coupler ( hook to gear box )

AXracer 07-13-2014 11:01 AM

Be sure column is genuine Ididit or flaming river. There are some cheap Chinese clones being sold on ebay that have plastic parts inside that fall apart. NOT something you want to have happen!
Also you'll need column drop and floor mount, adapter for wheel of your choice if not GM mounting pattern, (My Grant wheel came with an adapter, but I didn't like the fit so I ordered one from Ididit). floor cover plate for Toy box (I still needed to modify hole column went thru to fit column, fill underfloor brake pedal arm hole, I have hanging pedals.
These are the only pix I have handy:
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...82d6a36b98.jpg

Shows floor plate and upper portion of column drop sticking thru dash extension.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...91f153575f.jpg

test fitting column before dash extension

ChuckRob 07-13-2014 11:20 AM

I went with the CPP column that Mid Fifty sells. Lets just say that it is OK, nothing more. Nothing on the column has broken, yet, but it is not smooth and it just does not feel right. It is on my list to replace with an Iditit, there are a lot of places that you can save a few bucks but steering is not one of them.

lilrobo 07-13-2014 11:57 AM

thanks guys
i been looking at grant wheels and there is a lot to this ,, offset and all is less better ? when it comes to offset . and what about diameter 14 or 15 ,,, i need to a lot of home work before i order stuff ,, and a lot of searching

thanks guys

AXracer 07-13-2014 12:54 PM

Offset? Refering to dish depth (distance from mounting surface to rim)? Dish determines how close or far the rim is from the dash (or how much belly room). :D Depends on how you like your driving position, some like the wheel close in like the NASCAR guys, some like it close to the dash with their arms extended like a formula car driver. Don't forget to include the adapter thickness if used. 14 or 15"? your choice depends on what size the design you like is available in.

lilrobo 07-13-2014 03:21 PM

i know i have a lot of work ahead of me for sure putting all these parts together
i think i am going to go column shift free up floor space so i will need linkage that shouldnt be hard to do i was looking at locar stuff like a cable linkage,, i will have to look maybe even simpler than that with a rod dont know yet

thanks i am starting to look things up

lilrobo 07-14-2014 07:30 PM

ax
so you used a 30 in column what dish depth did you use ?? and what drop did you use a 3 1/2 i see most of yours is covered ,, i have found a column at summit , they should be good no? at least you would think they would have a good warranty

thanks

AXracer 07-14-2014 10:13 PM

My wheel has a 2.5" dish. I don't remember how thick the Ididit adapter is. I believe I used a 3.5" drop that mid fifty recommended at the time I ordered the column.
i don't know much about the Summit columns, but they typically sell quality merchandise, but racing parts are often different than street parts. Racing parts are usually listed as "for off road use only".

lilrobo 07-15-2014 05:08 AM

They had one for 230$ most of there other parts are borgson or ididit the wheels are grant and linkage is locar,, , looks like i can order the cloumn andi will need to wait on drop until i get it in and see what fits best, , i could base it on what i have now, i guess knowing its going to be a tilt and a 15, , now will the 15 in wheel steer less turns than the large, , i know it will be a little harder ?

Thanks

Originally Posted by AXracer (Post 14507814)
My wheel has a 2.5" dish. I don't remember how thick the Ididit adapter is. I believe I used a 3.5" drop that mid fifty recommended at the time I ordered the column.
i don't know much about the Summit columns, but they typically sell quality merchandise, but racing parts are often different than street parts. Racing parts are usually listed as "for off road use only".