Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1997 - 2003 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum25/)
-   -   99 F150 ABS activates when shouldn't (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1323693-99-f150-abs-activates-when-shouldnt.html)

FordLou 07-04-2014 10:05 PM

99 F150 ABS activates when shouldn't

Hi guys,

I am experiencing a situation about 50% of the time when driving and apply the brakes to slow down and stop. When I’ve slowed down to about 5 mph, the ABS will activate until I stop completely. No slick road surface or sewer covers. No turning. Just driving straight on dry pavement. Any ideas what is going on and how I need to approach repairing this annoying situation? Thanks for any thoughts.

Lou

Marty N Debbie Sapp 07-05-2014 06:52 AM

Is the light comming on or can you feel it kick in.

FordLou 07-05-2014 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Marty N Debbie Sapp (Post 14483831)
Is the light comming on or can you feel it kick in.

I can feel it kick in under foot. Have not seen the light on.

73fan 07-05-2014 09:42 AM

Sounds like you may have one bad wheel speed sensor and/or wiring. Does it have 4 wheel ABS?

Sent from Nexus 4. IB AutoGroup

FordLou 07-05-2014 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by 73fan (Post 14484084)
Sounds like you may have one bad wheel speed sensor and/or wiring. Does it have 4 wheel ABS?

Sent from Nexus 4. IB AutoGroup

I believe it's rear wheel ABS only but I need to call the dealer Monday to check for sure. I have rear drum and front disc. What is involved in replacing one of these for drum and for disc?

projectSHO89 07-05-2014 06:35 PM

It would be unusual for a 99 to be RABS. Most likely, it's 4WABS. Look at your front spindles to see if there's a wiring harness going to each of them.

Most likely, you have a dirty/corroded sensor, a cracked tone ring, a damaged wire harness or a worn front wheel bearing that's causing an erratic signal from one of the sensors.

FordLou 07-05-2014 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by projectSHO89 (Post 14484858)
It would be unusual for a 99 to be RABS. Most likely, it's 4WABS. Look at your front spindles to see if there's a wiring harness going to each of them.

Most likely, you have a dirty/corroded sensor, a cracked tone ring, a damaged wire harness or a worn front wheel bearing that's causing an erratic signal from one of the sensors.

Is there any easy way to isolate which wheel corner has the issue?

projectSHO89 07-05-2014 07:40 PM

You will need an assistant to do one of the tasks.

Select a safe area such as a gravel-covered drive or lot.
Driving at about 10 mph, apply the brakes sharply so as to cause either one of the front or both of the rears to lock up. Repeat several times observing to see if one front wheel (or both rear wheels) locks consistently.
The front wheel that locks indicates a sensor problem on that side or, if both rear wheels lock, the problem will be with the rear diff sensor.

FordLou 07-05-2014 09:10 PM

All you have to do is look. I saw the wiring for the front wheel sensors and, I'm assuming, the rear wheel sensor also. Is it located at/in the differential? I saw a connector at the top of the differential housing. is that the sensor location or is it somewhere else on/in the rear end?

Torky2 07-05-2014 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by FordLou (Post 14485195)
...............and, I'm assuming, the rear wheel sensor also. Is it located at/in the differential? I saw a connector at the top of the differential housing. is that the sensor location or is it somewhere else on/in the rear end?

Yup, that's it.

FordLou 07-06-2014 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by FordLou (Post 14485195)
All you have to do is look. I saw the wiring for the front wheel sensors and, I'm assuming, the rear wheel sensor also. Is it located at/in the differential? I saw a connector at the top of the differential housing. is that the sensor location or is it somewhere else on/in the rear end?

If the rear end sensor requires replacement, does it require tearing the rear end open to do it? Also, are there any other parts of the ABS system located at either of the rear wheels or is it all at the differential housing?

projectSHO89 07-06-2014 12:27 PM

The 99 only the single sensor on top and the ring gear inside for the rear wheels. Check the sensor first since getting to the ring gear is messy and smelly.

FordLou 07-07-2014 10:00 AM

Is there a way to check the sensors using a DMM set to ohms? Saw a video on Youtube showing unplugging the sensor from the harness, attaching a DMM, spinning the wheel and checking for resistance and resistance changes (it was on a 2002 and he got 535 ohms on the good replacement and 1 on the old bad one he changed out). His ABS light had been on, though, and mine hasn't. Don't know if that means a different issue in my case.

projectSHO89 07-07-2014 10:59 AM

Set the multimeter to VAC and look for several volts when the wheel spins. The resistance check is done when the wheel is stationary and will tell whether or not he sensor is ope (usual) or shorted (unlikely).

FordLou 07-07-2014 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by projectSHO89 (Post 14488513)
Set the multimeter to VAC and look for several volts when the wheel spins. The resistance check is done when the wheel is stationary and will tell whether or not he sensor is ope (usual) or shorted (unlikely).

Set to volts AC not DC?