Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V10 (6.8l) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum49/)
-   -   Wanting to upgrade to a 3 valve, what to look for? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1323148-wanting-to-upgrade-to-a-3-valve-what-to-look-for.html)

kas83 07-01-2014 07:05 PM

Wanting to upgrade to a 3 valve, what to look for?

I'm looking to pick up an 06-09 F350 with a 3 valve V10 in the near future. I've been hellbent against ditching my 00, but I've made my mind up to go newer and nicer.

Anyways, I'm looking for tips on what to look for on the newer engine. I know the plugs were a 2 piece design, but I shouldn't have to worry about blowing them out. Are the exhaust studs prone to breaking like my 00? Heard something about multiple runner plastic intakes as well. Really looking forward to a 5 speed auto and 4.10 gears in the near future :)

Sorry if this has been covered many times. My phone doesn't let me search very good. Thanks in advance.

grizz686 07-02-2014 02:21 AM

I have a 2006 with 178,000 miles on it and no real problems out of it . Yes the exhaust studs are still prone to breakage. The two piece plug design was corrected I think in late 2008. I love my truck it turns a lot sharper then my old 2001 v10 truck and has more power to boot. If I was in your shoes I would try to find a late 2008 truck no more plug issues and a little nicer interior imo. If your pulling something a lot I would look for a truck with 4:30 gears no real mpg penalty and it makes the v10 pull a little better but it will still pull great if you have to settle for 4:10s Also if you look into a SCT tuner from five star it really wakes the monster up good luck on your search

kas83 07-02-2014 10:22 PM

Current truck has 3.73s, and gets the job done, but definitely needs more. I remember reading that 3 valves came standard with 4.10s. I'd love 4.30s, but with as scarce as they are with 2v's, I'm sure they will be rare in the newer trucks too. And an SCT and cat back exhaust will be the first things going on the truck.

I really like the looks and interior of the pre 08 trucks, but have been finding some killer deals on 09s lately. Gonna take my time and purchase wisely, as I don't wanna buy another vehicle for a decade.

grizz686 07-03-2014 12:39 AM

Yeah 05 and up 4:10 are standard . My truck has the 4:10 gears and even with 35 inch tires I never feel it struggles. I will still put the 35s up in smoke lol regardless of what you get I don't think you will be disappointed 3v v10s seem to be a rare bird I looked for six months before I found the combo I wanted I wanted the manual shift 4wd and it seems that the majority are esof the 5r110 transfusion is miles ahead of the 4r100 that alone is a good reason for an upgrade over the 2v v10 . It's a good engine in a great truck I told myself I wouldn't upgrade till this one dies on me and so far it looks like my 06 will be around a while.

Mavic19 07-03-2014 02:21 PM

I agree that the 3V V10 is difficult to find. It took me a lot of looking in my area to find one. I could find 2V trucks all day long. Making things even more difficult was finding one with a 8 ft bed. I finally had to settle on a crew cab short box. As grizz stated, power out of a 3V unit will not disappoint. It delivers power well and the 5R110 tranny is great.

grizz686 07-03-2014 02:40 PM

It's always give and take.I originally wanted a cc long bed but I also wanted manual 4wd . Ended up with a ext cab long bed couldn't sacrifice the bed length.my last truck was a short bed and after having to leave my tailgate down on more than a dozen occasions I drew the line lol ...... Sorry about the hi Jack

kas83 07-04-2014 08:32 AM

For me, it will be a crew cab, no doubt. Doesn't matter on options, trim level. I need seating for 6 with room for a rear facing baby seat in back, and 4*4. Those are my only 2 requirements. Almost pulled the trigger on an 07 XL 6 speed 2 weeks ago, but the wife wants to wait on a manual equipped truck.

Mavic19 07-04-2014 09:47 AM

After once having a truck (05 GMC) with the extended cab and suicide rear doors, I'll never do it again. It was a circus trying to get my kids out of the back whenever we were in parking lots between vehicles. After that, it was crew cab and crew cab only. And aside from Dodges megacab trucks, I think Ford has THE best crew cab for rear passenger legroom. I can climb right up in the back and buckle my kids into their carseats up no problem.

grizz686 07-04-2014 12:23 PM

I have to agree with a crew cab being the best all around cab configuration. But for my usage the 8 ft bed was more important then the extra cab space . I honestly think that Ford does a great job offering the different truck configurations. With the v10 unlike the diesel guys it's all so much give and take unless you was in the market to order a new truck pre 2011.I just take pride that the v10 in my truck will most all ways get me from point A to point B and sometimes point C without drama and those who discredit it are foolish. I mean who would want a 362hp truck truck that runs over 200k and has less maintenance issues than my lawn mower lol

Mavic19 07-04-2014 12:56 PM

I hear ya. I had a 6.0 PSD for 3 months and in that three months I dumped nearly $4k into it in parts (4 failed injectors, 2..yes 2 fan clutches, water pump, EGR cooler, EGR valve, Oil cooler, EBP sensor, IPR valve and some other minor items). Dang truck left me stranded twice.

Traded it off on this truck after having did my homework. The V10 is a workhorse and pretty dang reliable and only minor issues in comparison with the disaster of a motor the 6.0 PSD was. That PSD literally ruined any chance of going back to a diesel truck in the future as it left such a horrible impression on my wife. But she absolutely loves this V10 and even doesn't care about the fuel economy of it.

With my PSD, I had serious trust issues. I have a family of 5 and two little ones under 6 years of age. Having been left stranded once with my camper on the truck and trailer, there was no way in heck I was going to keep it. Then it stranded me a second time and that just expedited the process.

My new truck; I have total faith. It just RUNS! And it runs soooo good. And...if for whatever reason it decides to break down, at least I know I won't be paying out the @$$ for replacement parts.