Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   Got replacement key for '04 150, lots of questions answered (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1322791-got-replacement-key-for-04-150-lots-of-questions-answered.html)

ojai150 06-30-2014 12:42 AM

Got replacement key for '04 150, lots of questions answered

I always keep a hide a key , on my bumper on my '04 f150 , I noticed about 6 months months ago , that it had come off , I don't know how or when it came off , but I went to get a new one . WHAT ??? $125 at locksmith !!

I was in Lowes today and asked the key guy if he could make one , he said sure ,... $75.00,...He took my only key , stuck it in a slot on a box , pushed a button , stuck the new one in , pushed the button , I opened my door with it , put it in the ignition , and started right up,...I guess that settles a lot of questions .:-huh

Stewart_H 06-30-2014 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by ojai150 (Post 14469907)
I guess that settles a lot of questions .:-huh

What question are you are referring to?

Just FYI, the key you had made is a cloned key, not a master copy key.

Stewart

danorules 06-30-2014 06:31 AM

The pats system probably picked up the signal from the first key since you had them both in the truck. I believe it still need to be programmed.

ojai150 06-30-2014 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by danorules (Post 14470162)
The pats system probably picked up the signal from the first key since you had them both in the truck. I believe it still need to be programmed.

Hmmmm good idea , I will put the master key in the house and see if it still works , I know it opened the door and started , but if not , how would you go about getting a true master key ? I don't know what value a key would have that wont start your truck unless the other one is near bye ,...we shall see:-huh

ojai150 06-30-2014 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Stewart_H (Post 14469917)
What question are you are referring to?

Just FYI, the key you had made is a cloned key, not a master copy key.

Stewart

Well,...I got home , put my "master key" , in the house , (in the freezer to be exact , put in the "clone " and it started right up , :-huh

Stewart_H 07-01-2014 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by ojai150 (Post 14472281)
Well,...I got home , put my "master key" , in the house , (in the freezer to be exact , put in the "clone " and it started right up , :-huh

Apologies, I figured clone vs master copy was becoming common knowledge.

As you know, the owner of a vehicle can program a third, fourth, etc PATS key if the owner has two functioning master copy PATS keys. A cloned key cannot be used to program another PATS key.

Nothing earth shattering, just more of a "hey, by the way, you do know...." kind of post. :-X22

Originally Posted by Tylus (Post 13260832)
For those with 1 key and who want a quick...and relatively cheap fix compared to buying from the Dealership

Walmart and certain other stores now clone keys. They copy the RFID tag on your 1 working key and "clone" that tag to a blank RFID chip/key.

You still can't program your own keys, but at least you'll have 2 working keys. It was roughly $65 for the keys

Stewart

ojai150 07-01-2014 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Stewart_H (Post 14473037)
Apologies, I figured clone vs master copy was becoming common knowledge.

As you know, the owner of a vehicle can program a third, fourth, etc PATS key if the owner has two functioning master copy PATS keys. A cloned key cannot be used to program another PATS key.

Nothing earth shattering, just more of a "hey, by the way, you do know...." kind of post. :-X22

Stewart

Well I was sure wondering , I know it took quite a while for the guy to make the 2nd key , but he said it would work just like a factory one ,...just a lot cheaper. Lowes ,....lol