Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Another one I could get into a lot of trouble with (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1322245-another-one-i-could-get-into-a-lot-of-trouble-with.html)

Jolly Roger Joe 06-27-2014 01:30 PM

Well, the bid has gone up considerably since yesterday, but I can't believe this will sell for less than two or three times the current bid of $10,000.

Harrier 07-03-2014 05:55 AM

Under 5 hours left and the price is currently at $11,400.
That seems like a great deal. One of you guys need to jump on it.

Doc 07-03-2014 09:24 AM

IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN...... Can you imagine buying that thing, and then driving it home from Minnesota? A U-haul trailer ain't gonna cut it in this situation.

Horizonblue 07-03-2014 10:44 AM

Someone just scored an awesome deal!

Jolly Roger Joe 07-03-2014 10:44 AM

I'm new to this eBay stuff. The bidding has ended and the final bid was $11,412, but does that mean it sold for that? I didn't see anything about a reserve price, if eBay even does that.

Horizonblue 07-03-2014 10:48 AM

Yup peers, winning bid means that's what it went for. Like I said, an awesome deal!

Horizonblue 07-03-2014 10:50 AM

I meant yuppers, but the autocorrect got me. I guess I should stick to proper English!

4tl8ford 07-03-2014 11:01 AM

I feel ill:(

bobj49f2 07-03-2014 12:50 PM

Dang!! That is a deal. Moving it any distance is going to be a killer. I guess the best bet would be Uship unless the guy is nearby. Or if the buyer is a FTEr we could form a relay!!

bobj49f2 07-03-2014 06:42 PM

Hey, I got to thinking this afternoon, Havi is up in that area. We haven't heard from him yet about this truck, hummmmmmmmmm

Doc 07-03-2014 07:38 PM

I've given this truck some more thought. Here's the way I see it. First, and foremost, let's all just be glad that truck and trailer still exist as a representation of what they are, and not in the scrapyard as a long-lost memory. Secondly, what is an individual gonna do with it? Load up their vintage automobile (or two or three) and haul them to a car show maybe once every two years? Can you imagine the logistics. Can you imagine the work involved to secure vehicles to that rig. As far as just driving it all over the country collecting old iron, that sounds great, but, in my opinion, that truck would be a huge target for the DOT officers everywhere, especially when they realize it's being used to routinely transport old iron for a possible profit. If I had that truck, it would sit outside and deteriorate. Very few people have a garage, or even a shed, big enough to accommodate that truck and trailer. As bad as I hate to admit it, it would probably survive the longest in some big truck museum off some forgotten road in some forgotten town.

Harrier 07-03-2014 07:56 PM

There you go Doc, throwing common sense and logic all over our fantasies.

bobj49f2 07-03-2014 08:08 PM

Doc, I totally agree. Some time back there was a beautifully restored Marmon Herrington F-7 wrecker floating around Wisconsin. I first saw it when the owner had it in his shop having the finishing touches put on it. It was an impressive truck. Later I heard the guy had to break up his collection and I saw the truck in numerous locations throughout the state, first starting at a price of $12K, then $10K and the last time I saw it it was sitting in the parking lot of a used car dealer for $9K. I thought you could never build a truck like this for $12K and the $9K was a steal. Not for me but for someone with deeper pockets than I. I talked to Chuck, at Chuck's Trucks about it and he said he knew about the truck but even though he agree it was a rare truck rarity didn't play a big part in the value of the truck. A truck like that needed more maintenance than a simple little F-1 pickup, it cost more to move it anywhere and it also cost more to store it. Look at the trouble Keith has with finding a place for his fire truck.

These big trucks are fun to dream about but the reality is they are way too expensive for most of us to operate and properly store and take care of. I have a friend who owns the '48 sleeper cab semi and he's told me that he avoids taking it any great distance because it can't keep up with modern traffic. He told me the few times he's taken it any great distance he gets his doors blown off by modern semis that are fully loaded and he's running empty. On my trip in my F-2 down to Doc's I couldn't keep up with traffic and had to take back roads and I can imagine my F-2 could out perform any of those old big rigs.

Horizonblue 07-03-2014 08:46 PM

Hopefully a museum bought it.

Doc 07-03-2014 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Horizonblue (Post 14481216)
Hopefully a museum bought it.

I was thinking the same thing. I'd love to know who got it and what they plan on doing with it.