Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   97 7.3 info on readings from Torque app (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1320973-97-7-3-info-on-readings-from-torque-app.html)

93f250tn 06-19-2014 04:05 PM

97 7.3 info on readings from Torque app

Hey ya'll, i picked up a obd 2 connecter and purchased the torque app to read HPOP, Boost, IPR duty cycle and am wanting to know what should the readings be at and how are mine. The main reason for asking these questions is a set of injectors may come in the near future (leaning towards stage 1.5s or 2s). I also tested fuel pressure using a fuel pressure test gauge, at idle is right around 60 and at WOT it stayed right around 75. For the HPOP at WOT on the extreme setting it stayed steady at 3100 PSI and the IPR duty cycle stayed right around 37-39%. I am not sure the boost gauge for the app is accurate but the highest reading i got was 20.3 PSI. Whats considered "optimal" readings? The truck has the following done to it... DIY intake, 3" down pipe, straight pipe factory exhaust, TW 6 ps chip, Sonnex shift kit. I will be picking up a set of gauges here soon, and as stated hopefully a set of injectors. A 6.0 intercooler may happen towards the end of the year if not sometime next year (HPOP would come first). I am leaning towards stage 2s and have the it de-tuned intell a new HPOP can be purchased (or is a healthy stock pump sufficient?) and E-fuel is done. Stock turbo has ZERO play in it and the compressor wheel is in good shape. I do not tow anything (I just use the bed alot) and don't hot rod it but would like the be able to have a truck that could compete with newer chipped diesels (maybe not the 6.7s :-X19).

lemonshindig 06-19-2014 05:55 PM

All those numbers look outstanding.

427 fordman 06-19-2014 05:57 PM

Those readings look pretty good. Boost at 20 is probably about right with a chipped stock injector truck, could maybe be a little more. Just make sure you don't have any boost leaks, uppipe leaks, etc. You will need to upgrade the hpop with the injector upgrade. T500 from Joey is a very good hpop with a good price.

93f250tn 06-19-2014 11:13 PM

Thank you for the quick replies! At the time of the post i only had a couple pulls done, i did a few more on the extreme setting on the way back from work. Highest HPOP reading was 3218 psi and highest boost level was 21.1. From what ya'll are saying it didn't do to bad for 219k miles on it i guess? I do have my eye on the T500 and i already have a HPOP out of a 2001 F-550 ill be using as a core. Got the newer 7.3 quick disconnect HPOP lines already. I have heard alot of good things about the T500 and defiantly cant complain about the price. This Torque app amazed me on how much live data and options it can really do (has more options for live data for the newer 7.3s/6.0s as i have used it on a couple at work). Its not AE but is ALOT better and more useful then my $200 Actron scan tool. And for $12 for the wireless connector and $4 for the app its defiantly worth every penny. I used it with a Android smartphone and it worked great, i am already debating on buying a tablet and installing a mount.

The other Joe 06-20-2014 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by 93f250tn (Post 14444376)
Thank you for the quick replies! At the time of the post i only had a couple pulls done, i did a few more on the extreme setting on the way back from work. Highest HPOP reading was 3218 psi and highest boost level was 21.1. From what ya'll are saying it didn't do to bad for 219k miles on it i guess? I do have my eye on the T500 and i already have a HPOP out of a 2001 F-550 ill be using as a core. Got the newer 7.3 quick disconnect HPOP lines already. I have heard alot of good things about the T500 and defiantly cant complain about the price. This Torque app amazed me on how much live data and options it can really do (has more options for live data for the newer 7.3s/6.0s as i have used it on a couple at work). Its not AE but is ALOT better and more useful then my $200 Actron scan tool. And for $12 for the wireless connector and $4 for the app its defiantly worth every penny. I used it with a Android smartphone and it worked great, i am already debating on buying a tablet and installing a mount.

I'm not familiar with the wireless connector you mention. Do you happen to have a link for that?
Will it work with a IPad?

Joe W.

lemonshindig 06-20-2014 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by The other Joe (Post 14444978)
I'm not familiar with the wireless connector you mention. Do you happen to have a link for that?

Joe W.

Android only.

See:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...werstroke.html

Several of us are using it now, and love it.

The other Joe 06-20-2014 10:26 AM

Thanks for the info.

Great little gizmo for the price.

Joe W

cowmilker08 06-20-2014 11:49 AM

There is some debate over the boost PID. It was made for SD trucks. That MAP signal on a SD is a voltage, but OBS is a frequency. Somehow you get a reading using the SD PID...

Some guys on the Torque forum made a custom PID for OBS boost.

93f250tn 06-20-2014 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by The other Joe (Post 14444978)

Joe W.

It will not work with an Ipad as the torque app is for android only. I have been looking and you can pick up a tablet new for about $100. Which is still dirt cheap figuring what you can monitor and use it for. Here is the connector i purchased...
You can get more expensive ones that will power off after a certain time after the vehicle is shut off and have quicker processing speeds but i haven't had any issues with the one above.

93f250tn 06-20-2014 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by cowmilker08 (Post 14445373)
There is some debate over the boost PID. It was made for SD trucks. That MAP signal on a SD is a voltage, but OBS is a frequency. Somehow you get a reading using the SD PID...

Some guys on the Torque forum made a custom PID for OBS boost.

I will see if i can find that PID, as it would be interesting to see how accurate it is compared to the current gauge. When i get the gauges (boost, trans. temp, EGT) it will be nice to see how the app readings compare to the actually boost gauge. Just have to wait and see...

cowmilker08 06-20-2014 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by 93f250tn (Post 14445991)
I will see if i can find that PID, as it would be interesting to see how accurate it is compared to the current gauge. When i get the gauges (boost, trans. temp, EGT) it will be nice to see how the app readings compare to the actually boost gauge. Just have to wait and see...

I'll find the thread in the torque forum and post a link. Also torque cannot read egt because there is no sensor for it.

EDIT: Here is the link http://torque-bhp.com/forums/?wpforu...topic&t=3903.0

93f250tn 06-20-2014 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by cowmilker08 (Post 14446081)
I'll find the thread in the torque forum and post a link. Also torque cannot read egt because there is no sensor for it.

EDIT: Here is the link Forums — » Torque OBD ECU Scanner » Torque Discussion / Ideas » Trans temp, IAT, and MAPTorque

Thank you! looks like i got some reading to do... I know there is no sensor for EGT hence why i am purchasing the gauges i said because the app also does not read trans. temp for the OBS trucks (atleast not the given PIDs for the powerstroke bundle). I was curious what should the readings be for exhaust back pressure?

cowmilker08 06-22-2014 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by 93f250tn (Post 14446188)

Thank you! looks like i got some reading to do... I know there is no sensor for EGT hence why i am purchasing the gauges i said because the app also does not read trans. temp for the OBS trucks (atleast not the given PIDs for the powerstroke bundle). I was curious what should the readings be for exhaust back pressure?

There is a PID for trans temp. You just have to make your own. You'll read all about it in that thread. You should expect a few psi above boost.

FI460 06-22-2014 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by cowmilker08 (Post 14449402)
There is a PID for trans temp. You just have to make your own. You'll read all about it in that thread. You should expect a few psi above boost.

I think back-pressure should be boost+ atmospheric pressure ideally. So like +14.something.

93f250tn 06-22-2014 05:05 PM

Thanks for the input of the BP readings! I have been doing some reading and even tho its easy to change configurations on the app i still have some learning to do on making the PIDs to be able to get the readings that it normally does not support. The link CowMilker posted have been very helpful, it may be overwhelming at first but after you get the hang of the app and learn your way around it its actually very easy. Its just amazing how a $4 app and a $12 OBD-2 adapter can give so many accurate readings. I defiantly would not have bought my $200 Actron scan tool if i knew about this app.