Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   Best clutch kit? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1320108-best-clutch-kit.html)

Royson12 06-14-2014 04:00 PM

Best clutch kit?

Well, on the way back home from San Antonio, my throw out bearing came apart. Limped my truck back home. Pressure plate is trashed! Time for a clutch kit. Orielly a has a "power torque" , never heard of them. Don't really trust some of thier parts anyway. Napa has a "fueca". I think. Or should I just wait for the ford house to open Monday? Napa usually seams to have better stuff than oreilly, plus it's a $150.00 dollars more. That doesn't bother me, as long as I get what I pay for. What would you guys suggest.

farmert 06-14-2014 04:29 PM

I have used the single mass conversion from Napa for 5 trucks with no problems. But I believe they were branded Perfection if I remember right.

Royson12 06-14-2014 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by farmert (Post 14430529)
I have used the single mass conversion from Napa for 5 trucks with no problems. But I believe they were branded Perfection if I remember right.

What's the difference? And the cost?

fordpride 06-14-2014 05:03 PM

Do you have any mods?

For stock to basic mods I like the LUK clutch with SMF

Royson12 06-14-2014 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by fordpride (Post 14430601)
Do you have any mods?

For stock to basic mods I like the LKQ clutch with SMF

Bone stock! Might wind up puttin a chip in it someday. Not for hotroodin, just for pullin a trailer and mileage.

Royson12 06-14-2014 05:31 PM

How would I tell if my dual mass flywheel is bad? Or should I just change to single mass? I just want it to be dependable, I travel this great big state in it, a lot!

fordpride 06-14-2014 05:53 PM

I would put a smf. The dmf is a ticking bomb if it comes apart it will be bad. You'll be needing a new clutch and trans

farmert 06-14-2014 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Royson12 (Post 14430662)
How would I tell if my dual mass flywheel is bad? Or should I just change to single mass? I just want it to be dependable, I travel this great big state in it, a lot!

A lot of times you will get a rattle from the flywheel area when you shut the engine off. The first one of mine that went bad would slip, even with a new clutch and pressure plate. Then we had 2 or 3 that the center bearing in the flywheel crapped out, giving a terrible shake to the tranny, which resulted in a broken bell housing on the 97, which means a different tranny. Remove the inspection cover on the bottom of the tranny so you can see the flywheel. The dual mass will have springs, like the dampner springs in a regular clutch disc, in the flywheel. Try to rotate the flywheel back and forth. If you can rotate it mor than 5/8 of an inch the DM flywheel is toast. I would go with a single mass conversion if I was putting in a new clutch. Those dual mass ones are a ticking time bomb.

Royson12 06-14-2014 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by farmert (Post 14430720)
A lot of times you will get a rattle from the flywheel area when you shut the engine off. The first one of mine that went bad would slip, even with a new clutch and pressure plate. Then we had 2 or 3 that the center bearing in the flywheel crapped out, giving a terrible shake to the tranny, which resulted in a broken bell housing on the 97, which means a different tranny. Remove the inspection cover on the bottom of the tranny so you can see the flywheel. The dual mass will have springs, like the dampner springs in a regular clutch disc, in the flywheel. Try to rotate the flywheel back and forth. If you can rotate it mor than 5/8 of an inch the DM flywheel is toast. I would go with a single mass conversion if I was putting in a new clutch. Those dual mass ones are a ticking time bomb.

Mine rotates about 1" or so. So I recon I'm in! Don't want to buy a tranny!

Royson12 06-14-2014 06:58 PM

And the little extra noise doesn't bother me, diesels aren't known for stealth anyway! Lol. Long as it lasts!

Royson12 06-15-2014 09:27 AM

Local Napa has the smf kit. Gonna go pick it up today. Thanks Guys!

Royson12 06-15-2014 12:01 PM

Well my chiltons book doesn't tell me torque specs for the pressure plate bolts, or the flywheel bolts. Can anybody tell me what they are? And should I locktight them? Workin on it today, gonna try to get it together. I know its fathers day, but I have to get it done. And happy fathers day to all!

farmert 06-15-2014 06:08 PM

I can't tell you the torque specs, I just went "goodntight". Never used locktight, but used thread sealer on the flywheel to crank bolts.

strokin'_tatsch 06-16-2014 09:30 PM

IIRC, it should be around 85 ft lbs on the flywheel and 25 ft lbs on the pressure plate and use loctite on all the flywheel and pressure plate bolts.

Torquing the flywheel bolts is not as important as the pressure plate bolts. Good and tight on the flywheel is fine. The pressure plate bolts all need to be exactly the same torque.

For future reference, my choice for a stock replacement clutch is the LUK SMF kit.

FI460 06-16-2014 11:57 PM

I cant remember if I used the Valair clutch kit numbers or if it was something I found online, but I did 85 and 20 ft/lbs.