Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Transit Connect (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum228/)
-   -   Transit Connect in lieu of pickup (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1318763-transit-connect-in-lieu-of-pickup.html)

eigenvector 06-06-2014 10:47 AM

Transit Connect in lieu of pickup

Given that it's likely Ford won't be making a new Ranger and I'm getting nervous waiting, I'm wondering if anyone has a Transit Connect and uses it in that type of capacity.

I'm thinking along the lines of mounting side rails and hauling lumber/plywood/long skinny stuff that way. That's typically how I'll use the Ranger, and anything huge can sit in the back of the Transit like any van would haul it.

Does that type of arrangement work? I'm shying away from top rack simply because my back no longer allows too much overhead type work.

Van Diemen 06-06-2014 10:49 PM

I went from an F-350 to The Transit Connect 2.5 years ago. I'm a tile contractor and it fits my needs well. You get creative in finding space to store things. I have shelving down the left side holding all hand tools. And carry two saws regularly. I've hauled everything from 20 bags Portland cement, 40 3x5 sheets cement board, 2x4's, 8' drainage pipe, etc. I also have straps across the headliner that hold 2 surfboards.
I've carried 12' studs once and put them out the pass window. Also a few 4'x8' sheets of cementboard and bungied the rear doors around them.
I haven't seen anything in the way of side rails, but I bet they're out there.

eigenvector 06-07-2014 10:21 AM

Thanks.

Been eyeballing this rig for a year or so. Something that will, in a pinch, take on the duties of a small pick-up, without being humongous.

Without trying to get on my soapbox, I just find the F-150 to be too large for my needs (and certainly too expensive). This seemed like a reasonable compromise, so long as I was able to haul long items.

:-hijacked
And on a second note - the million dollar question seems to be the AWD version of it. I'm asking for a friend here who transports search and rescue dogs.

Frantz 12-02-2014 12:45 PM

I'm a big Transit Connect = Ranger guy. I don't think it's an accident that the payload of the SWB TC is identical to the Ranger. The LWB even beats it be a few hundred LBS. It's a more urban/suburban truck, which is better for what most people actually need.

heymrdj 03-22-2015 06:53 PM

If they could find the space for the 4WD gearings the TC would make an amazing replacement ranger (with the back end removed). 1.6L Eco, MFT available, great build, it's what Ranger fans were calling for for a revamped ranger.

EvanBly 09-15-2015 10:03 AM

I'm not sure how you would manage side rails--the doors would make that problematic.

I'm a new Connect owner and it is, for me, an all-around utility van as well as a great cruiser. I just finished my first short road trip (600 miles) and got an average of 27 mpg.

I think all-wheel drive would be an improvement and maybe a bit more clearance. Anyway, I'm liking this forum and appreciate the questions and answers that appear here.

sne43 09-25-2015 11:17 AM

We use ours in a pest control business and it works well. We have no issues fitting a 100 gallon water tank (800 pounds full) in the back along with all of our sprayers and chemicals. It is nice to have everything enclosed and out of sight from thieves. We used to use F150's, but much of our profit went down the tank. The TC's has halved our fuel expense and we are driving more miles than last year.

EvanBly 09-27-2015 10:30 AM

Along the same line of thought, I've been thinking about converting my TC to a PU. I know people who could do the job and I think it could be cool looking and functional. I wonder if Ford would support such a project?

heymrdj 09-27-2015 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by EvanBly (Post 15674332)
Along the same line of thought, I've been thinking about converting my TC to a PU. I know people who could do the job and I think it could be cool looking and functional. I wonder if Ford would support such a project?

My only thought would be cab strength. They make the Transit in cutaway/chassis form with a standalone cab. They don't make the TC that way. Other than that with all the sheet metal cut away, I'm sure there's plenty of left over metal after such a project to make a back for it :).

Frantz 09-28-2015 12:25 PM

The Transit cut away has the unit body replaced with a full frame. you could do the same I'm sure with a good amount of effort. Or look to the old Falcon based econoline trucks. The big concern is the weakpoint where the two doors are. I would feel comfortable just welding in a full cage to pin everything together, but I've also driven some questionably safe (aka not safe at all) vehicles in my day. At least the whole powertrain is up front so that makes that much less to worry about.

2LostInTransit 09-28-2015 01:20 PM

I think there would be a weight transference issues.. which would cause the front wheels to spin and slide.. The small microCargo van was made to handle small loads and dart in and out of traffic with ease. Hauling lumber would not be this Transit Connect's best attribute. I would opt for the larger Transit in this case.

Frantz 09-28-2015 06:18 PM

I think there would be a weight transference issues.. which would cause the front wheels to spin and slide..
The Dodge Rampage/Plymouth Scamp actually had a 1000# payload rating. To help control a car that by itself was only 2400# with such varying weights they had a nifty proportioning valve that controlled the amount of brake force in the rear axle based on load. If you find one, get two, because I need one for my '82 as it was replaced with straight lines years before I got it.

You would probably have to beef up the rear springs to force more weight on the front suspension to prevent under steering like a 90s Corolla. Of course, not under load you don't want the back end getting too squirrelly... Goodness... I'm glad I'm not an engineer.

2LostInTransit 09-28-2015 06:24 PM

hah ok.. just my opinion on this topic.

Frantz 09-28-2015 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by 2LostInTransit (Post 15677728)
hah ok.. just my opinion on this topic.

And it's quite a valid one! There is so much that goes into a modern vehicle and plenty of hot rod projects have ended horribly, or worse. I actually toyed with the idea of getting a Fiesta Sedan and making it a baby Rancharo. My wife didn't like the idea of cutting up my only reliable vehicle so I just got the hatch instead.

EvanBly 09-28-2015 06:51 PM

Yeh, one of my big dreams is to get a Rolls and turn it into a pickup. My wife has taken this dream as a nightmare--as it probably would be. But you can get those suckers really cheap on the used market. All my friends laugh and those who take me seriously say "NO." So, I probably will not turn my TC into a PU. You would think Ford would be thinking along these lines....